Pains of exercising....

Options
the pains of exercise...how to best deal with them. Before they put me off from continuing. ???

Replies

• BornToLnL
    BornToLnL Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    find a good massage therapist. actual massage therapist, i mean..i mean... what other kind would i mean?:P
    youd be surprised at how much they help. or maybe youre not eating right. or getting enough sleep. not to mention that same pain you speak of is the same pain that many people get "addicted" to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    if you're consistent, DOMs will dissipate on its own. starting and stopping and starting and stopping will just have you constantly sore.

make sure you're working at a level that is appropriate for you and your fitness level and ease into things...a lot of people do too much, too soon. make sure you're taking appropriate rest days. when you're sore, don't sit around doing nothing...get up and move...a nice walk does wonders for DOMs...you want to keep everything moving and warm. do some stretching and rolling if necessary. hot baths or showers.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Nothing good was ever gained easily, or without some sacrifice. The DOMS you are experiencing are only temporary now, but if you give up and try again, they will return every time. Think about what you want, and what you're willing to do and deal with to get it. I never understand when people talk about "quitting" weightloss. What good will come if you do? I think the little ache in your rear or arms, the funny walk...are worth it for the results success will bring if you don't quit. Good luck! xo
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    BornToLnL wrote: »
    find a good massage therapist. actual massage therapist, i mean..i mean... what other kind would i mean?:P
    youd be surprised at how much they help. or maybe youre not eating right. or getting enough sleep. not to mention that same pain you speak of is the same pain that many people get "addicted" to.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Is it pain during the workout, or after? How long does the pain last?
  • klove808
    Options
    Haha. And I am a massage therapist, the therapeutic kind. Funny thing is that I don't like massage when my muscles are sore. So I guess more specifically my dilemma becomes not wanting the pain / dom's? To get in the way of working.

Guess I just wonder what others do that works well.
  • klove808
    Options
    Yes to everyone. Moderation and consistency.... Both i need to stay more on top of. My boyfriend never feels much pain so I just feel like my body overreacts and gets more sore / fatigued than other people. ???
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    klove808 wrote: »
    Haha. And I am a massage therapist, the therapeutic kind. Funny thing is that I don't like massage when my muscles are sore. So I guess more specifically my dilemma becomes not wanting the pain / dom's? To get in the way of working.

Guess I just wonder what others do that works well.

LOL..when I get DOMS, which isn't often anymore, but still happens every now and then...when I get them, they interfere with EVERYTHING....walking, taking the stairs, bending, putting on my bra, lifting my teacup...lol..you get the picture...my hubby laffs every time I have to get up or down from a chair or couch, "oowwww" followed by some colorful word is usually heard...it's part of working out, I wouldn't worry too much about it....they hurt, but they won't kill you. NOW..if your joints are actually hurting, that's different. But I don't think that's your issue, is it? You can do this, don't worry about the bf not hurting, even if he were, he prolly wouldn't tell you! In the end, it's your body your trying to change...xo
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes to everyone. Moderation and consistency.... Both i need to stay more on top of. My boyfriend never feels much pain so I just feel like my body overreacts and gets more sore / fatigued than other people. ???

Nope. If you workout consistently the soreness and pain will essentially stop happening after a few weeks tops. You only really get DOMS when you're adapting to a new workout, new amount of volume, new exercise, that sort of thing.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options

Everyone has their own experience of pain, so it's not that helpful to compare yours to someone else's unless yours seems off the charts for an unknown reason. If that happens, see a doctor.

It may also be that you and your boyfriend don't have the same definitions of the words you're using. You say "pain", and he says he doesn't have pain. Does he have "soreness" or "discomfort" or "stiffness"? Is yours actually "pain" or is it (as you said above) "sore and fatigue"? Has he been exercising longer than you have? Is he pushing himself as much as you are? There are so many variables you really can't compare.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

It's because you haven't done this or done this consistently. I'd guess that your boyfriend might be more consistent than you? Once your body adapts to what you are doing, DOMs will lesson.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

Nope. If you workout consistently the soreness and pain will essentially stop happening after a few weeks tops. You only really get DOMS when you're adapting to a new workout, new amount of volume, new exercise, that sort of thing.

^Exactly this.