How to find motivation to workout?

Options
Any tips? I find it so hard to workout.

I need cheerful pals:/

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Find something you like to do? It doesn't have to be the standard treadmill workout. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, tap dancing, hiking, tennis...etc.
  • White_hibiscus
    White_hibiscus Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You are right. Thank you!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    What do you like to do?
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You don't find the motivation. You start working out. The first few times are always the hardest. But it quickly starts falling into place. The motivation comes after that when you notice you look better, clothes fit better, you're stronger, faster or whatever. It's when those last things start happening that you'll find yourself motivated, looking forward to workouts. Until then, force yourself, one day at a time, knowing that it will eventually become enjoyable.

The alternative is to sit back and wait for the motivation that others seem to get out of nowhere but never arrives for you.
  • brimag18
    brimag18 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Schedule it. Whatever you need to do. Find something you like to do. Turn it into a habit. Change it up to keep things interesting.
  • lolo_bunny
    lolo_bunny Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Find a time that is convenient for you and pick an activity you enjoy. Schedule it, set an alarm reminder if you have to. Track each day you go. Hold yourself accountable. Soon you will notice small changes that will keep your motivation going as it becomes a habit. Switch up the routine to prevent boredom.
    I go early in the morning because my husband and I share a car and he starts earlier. I drop him off, go to the gym, then go to work. I make sure to pack my bag the night before and sleep in my workout clothes so I can pretty much roll straight out of bed.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,901 Member
    Options
    I love being active and really dislike being inactive. That is the first step ... find things you enjoy doing.

Secondly, incorporate exercise into your day. Just about every time I get up to use the toilet and get a cup of coffee at work, I climb 5 flights of stairs. It's a habit now.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To quote Nike "just do it." Seriously. I used to never work out and when I wanted to do something I just never had the energy or motivation to do so but by telling myself I'd just do 10 minutes of whatever it was and then stop if I didn't feel like it still I got myself to exercise and more often than not I'd keep going. I even got to the point of exercising 4 days a week for an hr each time. Baby steps. You'll get there. Most of the time you just need to start.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    For me, 'motivation' is too emotional, too conditional, too negotiable. I need routines. Boring, relatively easy to execute, bulletproof routines. So when I want to add something or start something or commit to something, I think 'how can I make this part of my routine? Hmmm...' and I go from there. Motivation feels great but it has left me high & dry before. I don't feel I can rely on it.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,901 Member
    Options
    One other thing that helps me are goals. One of my goals in the next few months is to cycle up our local mountain. For me, that will be a huge accomplishment because I am a flatlander who has incredible difficulty cycling up anything greater than an overpass. But I want to do this.

To that end, I have lost 25 kg and have been including hills in just about every ride I do. If all goes well, this weekend we'll do a ride that will take us about halfway up. That'll be a bit of a test for me to see how its going.

But having a goal like that gives me a reason to get out on my bicycle today even though it is blowing a gale out there.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've been a jogger for 40 years. One day I just didn't want to do it anymore. I waited a few months to get my fire back and finally bought my first ever workout DVD. I've been working out 6 mornings a week ever since. After 3 months of cardio based I switched to a lifting based DVD. You may not know what you like so do some variety and do something on a schedule 'x' days s week. No excuses, just do it (something). I also really enjoy jogging again, but only two days s week.
  • White_hibiscus
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    You don't find the motivation. You start working out. The first few times are always the hardest. But it quickly starts falling into place. The motivation comes after that when you notice you look better, clothes fit better, you're stronger, faster or whatever. It's when those last things start happening that you'll find yourself motivated, looking forward to workouts. Until then, force yourself, one day at a time, knowing that it will eventually become enjoyable.

The alternative is to sit back and wait for the motivation that others seem to get out of nowhere but never arrives for you.

This is so so true! Thank you so much!

• White_hibiscus
    Options
    To quote Nike "just do it." Seriously. I used to never work out and when I wanted to do something I just never had the energy or motivation to do so but by telling myself I'd just do 10 minutes of whatever it was and then stop if I didn't feel like it still I got myself to exercise and more often than not I'd keep going. I even got to the point of exercising 4 days a week for an hr each time. Baby steps. You'll get there. Most of the time you just need to start.

How awesome I love that quote. I just got me a shirt with that! You are awesome
  • White_hibiscus
    Options
    Everyone.. Thank you for your cheerful advices.

I decided to do my firt day p90x something I been wanting to do but I was lacking motavation.

I didnt want to do it, but I got up and did it anyway. Thanks guys!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    You don't find the motivation. You start working out. .................................................................The alternative is to sit back and wait for the motivation that others seem to get out of nowhere but never arrives for you.

This.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy YouTube pilates videos. Some times I don't want to do anything but once I start I'm happy. Sometimes getting started is all you need :)
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said, about just doing it, even if you don't want to. I find that if I just get started, I have to finish. For me, that's walking a mile all in one go, every day.

The "hard" part on unmotivated days is getting out the door. Once I'm out there it's not that hard to keep going. There's an added benefit of walking half way, and knowing I don't have a choice but to walk back.