Protein

Options
Trying to lose weight. Do I do a protein shake? Or is that just a meal replacement? I rather eat my food. Is the protein for those who are bulky and big?

Replies

• fitExploror
    fitExploror Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can use protein
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    So many questions, lol. Basically, whenever you can, eat whole food and avoid liquid calories. Try and reach your protein goal through whole food sources, but if you aren't able to do that, that's where a protein shake can come in handy. Avoid meal replacement shakes, they're a bad idea when trying to lose weight. No protein is not only for those who are bulky and big. There are women whose entire goal is to grow their muscles as much as possible, and they have their diets tuned in perfectly and lift heavy weights and it's still hard for them to grow muscle. Drinking a protein shake is not going to accidentally make you big or bulky, it's just not going to happen.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are for those who can't hit their protein goals. You shouldn't need them, and they are just extra calories.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you prefer to eat your food, do that! Others have given you various reasons why people use protein. I will put protein powder in a veggie smoothie on the mornings I don't get up early enough to eat before work, or before a workout where I know I need food, but nothing too heavy. When I have time and don't need to keep my stomach relatively clear, I prefer actual food.

Short answer, no you don't need it, but there are plenty of reasons why someone may choose to incorporate it.
  • chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I suggest eating your protein through good plant and meat based sources (but personally I get all mine from plants) and only adding shakes if you are not reaching 70-80g a day. Protein is good for you, especially if you work out which I suggest you do.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every day because it helps me hit my protein and it tastes good. They don't help with weight loss or make you bulky.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    pretty big misconception, protein or any food actually wont make you bulky, those who are bulky either worked there butts off to get it, or used a drug source but still worked for it.....its not easy getting bigger and its even harder for females to get bigger.....workout and eat a balanced diet you will love what happens and i promise you, your not gonna just wake up bulky lol
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I love an occasional protein shake. It's just one of many healthy breakfasts in my rotation, and it's portable. I use vega one plant protein mixed with frozen banana, ice cubes, Greek yogurt and power greens. I can't believe people are so snippy about this. It's not like I'm drinking carnation instant breakfast or something! Hahaha
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is about being in calorie deficit. You don't need a protein shake to do that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    A shake a day will probably do you good! :)
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    A protein shake is NEVER needed, but they can be beneficial in the right circumstances (those being convenience mostly). They aren't magical either. If the meat you are eating isn't making you bulky, then the protein shake won't make you bulky.

I find a protein shake is useful for me, because while I'm losing weight I'll often eat pizza (sausage or pepperoni, so not devoid of protein) for lunch, and typically chicken or pork for dinner, but be a bit shy of my protein goals. I have 3 choices really (maybe more, but these are the simplified ones). Either cook up some more chicken and eat that, swap out some of my normal food for higher protein food, or use a shake. I choose option 3, but options 1 and 2 are perfectly fine too. I don't have a shake every day either, just when I'm shy of my goal.
    pretty big misconception, protein or any food actually wont make you bulky, those who are bulky either worked there butts off to get it, or used a drug source but still worked for it.....

I've seen a study show that just taking steroids you can build muscle (7lb in 10 weeks) without even bothering to exercise... So I don't know if I'd say those that used drugs actually worked for it.
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199607043350101#t=articleResults
  • nise82
    nise82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    nise82 wrote: »
    Trying to lose weight. Do I do a protein shake? Or is that just a meal replacement? I rather eat my food. Is the protein for those who are bulky and big?

I'm not a strong advocate of shakes, it's much easier to get protein from food.

I'd strongly suggest you restrict your carbs and eat more protein, a can of tuna has 30g of protein for example, and it's much better for you than protein shakes.

Protein also helps to make you feel fuller.

Good luck
  • robs_ready
    Options
    pretty big misconception, protein or any food actually wont make you bulky, those who are bulky either worked there butts off to get it, or used a drug source but still worked for it.....its not easy getting bigger and its even harder for females to get bigger.....workout and eat a balanced diet you will love what happens and i promise you, your not gonna just wake up bulky lol

This is incorrect, the only way to bulk up is to consume lots of carbs
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    roblloyd89 wrote: »

...consume lots of "calories"...

ETA: and of course lift heavy stuff...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

No, the only way to bulk up is to eat at caloric surplus and run the proper lifting routine to build muscle.

Also, why are you suggesting the OP cut her carbs? She asked about protein shakes.

To that topic, OP, I'm with blankiefinder. Shakes are good if you need to supplement your protein for one reason or another. I also think they're good if, for some reason, you like light meals every now and then.

They are not necessary for weight loss, and they are not necessary for muscle building (which is a whole different topic).
  • robs_ready
    Options

No, the only way to bulk up is to eat at caloric surplus and run the proper lifting routine to build muscle.

Also, why are you suggesting the OP cut her carbs? She asked about protein shakes.

To that topic, OP, I'm with blankiefinder. Shakes are good if you need to supplement your protein for one reason or another. I also think they're good if, for some reason, you like light meals every now and then.

They are not necessary for weight loss, and they are not necessary for muscle building (which is a whole different topic).

No, I lift weights, this is not true.

Your muscles need glycogen to build muscle.
  • robs_ready
    Options

Because protein shake contain carbs, and she's asking about losing weight. I'm provided advise, it's completely on topic
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Because protein shake contain carbs, and she's asking about losing weight. I'm provided advise, it's completely on topic

That's not universally true...
  • robs_ready
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

That's not universally true...

Which part?

Find me a protein shake wirh 0 carbs?

Anyway we r going off topic, OP, high protein, moderate carbs ok, best advise I can give ya