Holiday eating

Options
Dakryn
Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
Looking for ideas for things to make for Christmas dinner that I can eat too! What do you guy eat? What do you stay away from? I am going to someone else's house, but I need to bring snacks and dessert... Any ideas would be helpful...

Replies

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    What do you mean that you can eat too? Limit your portions. That is all. No need to stress over one day. Enjoy the time with your family and friends.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm eating whatever I want to eat on Christmas. Cinnamon rolls and bacon for breakfast. Probably clam chowder for lunch. We're making homemade pizza for supper. Nothing fancy this year but I don't count calories on Christmas Day.

When I go to another person's house and am supposed to take something, I always offer a salad or veggie tray.
  • Dakryn
    Dakryn Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! Portion control will be my friend this year....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    On Christmas Day I plan on eating the things that appeal to me in reasonable portions. Since I'm going to my mom's house, I'm not sure what exactly we're going to have, but I know it will include some of my favorites like mashed potatoes and homemade peanut butter cups.

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    One thought I've been repeating when asked this question:

You don't get fat because of what you eat between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. You get fat because of what you eat between New Year's Day and Thanksgiving.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I'll most probably over eat.

Will it have any appreciable effect on an otherwise solid year? Of course not.
  • 007Aggie
    007Aggie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have no control over what I'm being served. Thus, I portion control and get some exercise.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »

You don't get fat because of what you eat between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day. You get fat because of what you eat between New Year's Day and Thanksgiving.

I don't necessarily agree with that. There are five weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year's. If you eat an average of 500 calories per day over TDEE during that time, you're going to gain five pounds (500 * 7 days * 5 weeks = 17,500 calories divided by 3,500 = 5 pounds).
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I already prelogged my Christmas day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    enjoying yourself on a holiday or special occasion is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

we're traveling to my brother-in-laws this year and as far as i know he's making a prime rib roast, roasted potatoes, and most likely roasted asparagus. personally, i don't find there to be anything inherently unhealthy about any of that.

i also don't gorge myself as i don't like the feeling of being overly stuffed and feeling sick, so really, portion control is a non issue for me. beyond that, i'll have just spent three days on the slopes and another day walking all around Manhattan so not too worried...
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »

I don't necessarily agree with that. There are five weeks between Thanksgiving and New Year's. If you eat an average of 500 calories per day over TDEE during that time, you're going to gain five pounds (500 * 7 days * 5 weeks = 17,500 calories divided by 3,500 = 5 pounds).

It's not intended to be "permission" to overeat constantly. It's really just an aphorism for those who are worried about how they are going to "survive" Christmas.

I have separately advised people that the "holidays" are 3 or 4 days, not 50 days.

But sure, 500 kcal above maintenance daily for a month will leave a mark.