Theory About Cravings

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    pichu318 wrote: »
    9aa5d977b1667b215e51a254aca57f08.jpg
    I'll just leave this here to see if anyone disagrees or agrees with it....

source??????????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    What am I deficient in if my body craves jelly donuts?

vodka...everyone knows that
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My theory about theories about cravings is that we usually try, deep down inside, to find something/someone else to blame for things that are "wrong". Something as simple (but not necessarily easy) as gearing our calorie intake to our expenditure needs - which is within our powers - can be made much more complicated by blaming our bodies/situation/minds - which might not be.

I should think that everybody who wants to change something about themselves has tried at least once to shift the responsibility to another source, such as addictions, cravings, health issues, financial situations or "devil food groups". People who are successful (in any walk of life, not just weight management) usually find a way to acknowledge that there may be some things that make life less easy, but they don't have to make it impossible.

Sorry, bit of a vent there! Just wanted to share that I read almost every thread on MFP with the above in mind ;-)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I found myself smiling at that list because I think it's bunk, but of course to show it really works they have the buff couple holding the whole thing up. I'm not saying that sometimes a craving might mean you need some nutrient, but that list is way too inclusive. Also, that one about a glutamine withdrawal powder for alcohol or pot cravings-that's about as silly as it gets.

Just because we crave a food does not mean that we are missing a nutrient. Sometimes you just like the taste of something. Besides, if you're craving something, why not have a little in moderation? As I said earlier on, it was denying myself certain foods that kept me craving foods and overeating, but my cravings disappeared once I allowed myself to moderate foods.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I think I don't put much stock in this theory unless you have pica.

...For the most part besides people with pica , I'm sure some people will use their cravings as an excuse for poor self control. People love to have an excuse rather then dealing with the issue. When someone truly knows moderation and portion control, they can handle cravings with no big deal. Tonight I wanted ice cream, I had a serving within my calories and macros. No big deal. Portion control works :)

Portion control may work for you, but many have posted that it's easier for them to just not have trigger foods in the house.

I prefer to not have cravings in the first place.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    @I_Will_End_You, peanut butter, of course. :D
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Rachel0778 wrote: »
    Also, I love that that chart is telling me sun dried olives makes cravings for marijuana go away....wow....just wow....

Right. And glutamine powder too.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    That cravings chart... I can't even. And I'm sorry, that picture with PMS is pretty offensive.

Is this one better?

390893_418806678185410_633058576_n.jpg

Ha! That is hilarious!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Craving chocolate eat magnesium
    craving sweets eat more chromium phosphorus sulfur and tryptophan like oily fish cheese nuts legumes liver
    Craving oily snacks you need more calcium
    Craving coffee or tea you may be low in iron phosphorus sulfur
    Chewing ice usually iron deficient
    Premenstrual craving eat more zinc
    You should eat whole foods and not take a pill to cure your cravings while your body may know what you are missing you will reach for whats familiar being on a regular processed food heavy diet will lead to mild malnutrition
    Food cravings may be overwhelmingly strong and there is nothing wrong in a little indulgence if i crave cheese i would rather have some and stop obsessing over it

Yeah, 'cause nothing cures a sweet tooth like a nice big piece of liver! LMAO. ;)

There is some truth to that. If I even smell or look at liver my appetite for sweets (or anything for that matter) is ruined for the day.

Now, now, you can have liver AND sweet in one dish. From a local place (and I imagine it's delicious):

seared foie gras, gingerbread pudding, cranberry quince, glazed celery, bourbon gel, pate de fruit, candied pecans

Wonder what craving that would mean you were lacking!
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Those lists... I don't even.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

source??????????

Madeupstuff.com
  • YoungIronG
    YoungIronG Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I have a theory that a craving is your body telling you that it needs something that is contained in the food that you are craving.

I know it sounds strange, and I don't know how, but its just a theory I have.

TRUTHFULLY:
    this applies to pregnant women only (and the man who is forced to eat whats left once they barf)
  • ndj1979
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

I found myself smiling at that list because I think it's bunk, but of course to show it really works they have the buff couple holding the whole thing up. I'm not saying that sometimes a craving might mean you need some nutrient, but that list is way too inclusive. Also, that one about a glutamine withdrawal powder for alcohol or pot cravings-that's about as silly as it gets.

Just because we crave a food does not mean that we are missing a nutrient. Sometimes you just like the taste of something. Besides, if you're craving something, why not have a little in moderation? As I said earlier on, it was denying myself certain foods that kept me craving foods and overeating, but my cravings disappeared once I allowed myself to moderate foods.

because shirtless good looking people are never wrong about nutrition....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Disagree. I eat good amounts of the "missing this" items and still get the urge to down ice cream and candy.

It's about the dopamine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    Options
    @pichu318, that graphic is a good visual, but without the studies from which the info was derived, people won't take it seriously.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    @pichu318, that graphic is a good visual, but without the studies from which the info was derived, people won't take it seriously.

because we should just believe anything visually posted on the internet, because it is a "good visual"....
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

because we should just believe anything visually posted on the internet, because it is a "good visual"....

That's really how you interpreted my post? Really? We must have different definitions of "good visual."
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I have a theory that a craving is your body telling you that it needs something that is contained in the food that you are craving.

I know it sounds strange, and I don't know how, but its just a theory I have.
    My theory is that your brain knows that something in the craved foods will release dopamine and you always want more dopamine.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    What am I deficient in if my body craves jelly donuts?

vodka...everyone knows that
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    @I_Will_End_You, peanut butter, of course. :D

I like both of these answers.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Seems like this is suggesting more than half my cravings would be cured if I had nuts. That would also fix the PMS problem. Although that's not indicated on the chart.