Are you logging and tracking your food and exercise closely over the holidays?

Options
Are you going to be logging and tracking your food and exercise closely over the holidays?

It can be a difficult time of the year to do this, but I didn't track closely last year and I got stuck on my weight loss. This year, I've recommitted to the MFP process of logging and exercise and I'll be working to lose weight over the holidays.

Replies

• kirstyclarke3705
    kirstyclarke3705 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try give it a go logging my food in over the Christmas season ☺
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'll be eating out a lot and logging very loosely. And working out as usual but not on my training plan since I'll be traveling. Will gain some water weight and lose it all by mid-Jan at the latest (about a week after getting back to reg habits). So it works out in the end.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Yes. It takes several seconds, if that long, to log in a meal, snack or exercise routine. Sadly, in this age, I always have my cell phone with me. I take it out, log in what needs logging in, and put it away. Easier than responding to a text message, news alert or some other such thing. No more difficult during this time of the year than any other.

"Are you going to be logging and tracking your food and exercise closely over the holidays?"

Yes, just like during any other time of the year.

• Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Yes, It's like a game I play, to hit the macro goals.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yep. I might exceed my goals on Christmas day though.
  • Ryan70286
    Ryan70286 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have to... is the only way to make sure I know how much food I have consumed.
  • Fiveling
    Fiveling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to track it closely. Where possible, I'll be accurate, and I will note down just how many mince pies I eat. But I'm not going to weigh out my roast parsnips on Christmas Day or track exactly how much leftover turkey went into the Boxing Day fry up. Then again, I'm not looking to lose a huge amount of weight, just a bit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    i don't log anything anymore and haven't for a long time, but when i did, i really didn't worry about the holidays themselves...i most definitely tracked during the season, but i never worried about the actual day...'cuz it's just a day.
  • justindata
    justindata Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New to MFP, and I probably will. I just did this over Thanksgiving and it was very interesting to see the numbers to say the least. So fascinating, I wrote up a whole thing about it, if you're interested: http://thehomebrewedrunner.blogspot.com/2015/12/how-much-running-for-guilt-free.html
  • lucasdarathy
    lucasdarathy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely try. If I don't, I may let myself go and be all "it's just one meal/one day/one weekend"... and we all know how that ends.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Yes, unless I want to be big as a house and have no clothes to wear come Jan. 1.
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to log cheat foods, falling off the wagon foods, and just out right over eating as closely as possible. Otherwise, when you look at the reports, it will always be nice and neat - and that's not how we eat.

Seeing the "Fail" days on my report are as important as seeing all the "Win" days. It tells me what not to buy next time, or to buy in smaller amounts.

Peanut Butter for example is a bad food for me to have around. So now I buy it every once in awhile, and ALWAYS in the smallest jar, otherwise I start small, then before you know it, I'm eating a thick PB sammich every night before bed.

You wouldn't want a bank report that stopped working on days someone stole from your account....

\m/
  • Shaadeez
    Shaadeez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I have done well over the last 6 months and I'm determined not to screw it up over the Xmas.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    This is my 4th Christmas since starting Mfp, first year I was still losing, I logged all except Christmas day, gained 4lbs over the holiday week and it took 2 months getting my groove back and my losing streak once more ....

Fast forward to this year...been maintaining goal weight for 2+ years, still don't log on Christmas day or Boxing day but I'll be aware of how much I'm eating just as I always do now- second nature! :smile: Also i will keep active with plenty of nice walks all happed up in warm/weather proof clothes :smiley: there won't be any permanent gain from the holiday eating.

My mantra is:a little of what you fancy does no harm :smile:

Enjoy the festivities everyone :smile:
  • tamconner88
    tamconner88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I didn't do a good job.. I'm planing on taking it one day at a time and doing better over Christmas.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe yes, maybe not since I have mantaining for almost 5 years. I have company over the holidays and I will concentrate in my family rather than MFP. We will be eating out, and when I cook with company around I don't weight or log my food. I don't have a sweet tooth and my holiday food is not much different that the rest of the year, so I will be OK. Last year, I was in a hiatus from MFP and I did well with no gains.
  • QoLmatters
    QoLmatters Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I'm having a few days where I don't log food this Christmas but I will try to eat smaller portions. Have bought sugar free chocolate for me to nibble on while the kids have their chocolate and lollies. I expect I'll gain some but Christmas won't be any fun if I have to record every mouthful.
    I'm planning on having a big walk through the local botanic gardens with the whole family on boxing day and I might find some treadmill time.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Every day excepting:
    Family Christmas get-together on Dec 19
    Christmas Day
    The Day after Christmas (probably)
    New Year's Eve
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I log everyday, holiday or not. Though parties/holidays aren't completely accurate, I still log what I can.
  • momallnight
    momallnight Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I think it's helpful. I don't mind and it's no bother. But I will cut loose a bit on Xmas eve for the parties