to do or not to do Bypass surgery ?

Options

Replies

• MarisolSol76
    MarisolSol76 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    You have to be done breastfeeding for the surgery, right? That gives you some time to figure it all out with your doctors. I used to do the psych evals for bariatric surgeries in my area, which took a closer look at whether someone was demonstrating the right type of behavior changes necessary for this to be a success. It always came back to their willingness to accept the limited portions and VLCD, the need for regular exercise, their coping mechanisms for stress and any other challenges that can lead to an unhealthy lifestyle, etc. Whichever you chose, best of luck and take care of yourself!

nope you don't need to be done breastfeeding. you can still get it done and breastfeed after.
  • MarisolSol76
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Surgery DOESN'T address the issue of behavioral eating habits. Sure you eat less because of less volume your stomach can hold, but without the sleeve, you lack the discipline to resolve that currently. So when it comes off, guess what? Weight regain. Address the issue on WHY it's happening and not how you can just defer results temporarily.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

yep your right.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You have to be done breastfeeding for the surgery, right? That gives you some time to figure it all out with your doctors. I used to do the psych evals for bariatric surgeries in my area, which took a closer look at whether someone was demonstrating the right type of behavior changes necessary for this to be a success. It always came back to their willingness to accept the limited portions and VLCD, the need for regular exercise, their coping mechanisms for stress and any other challenges that can lead to an unhealthy lifestyle, etc. Whichever you chose, best of luck and take care of yourself!

nope you don't need to be done breastfeeding. you can still get it done and breastfeed after.

I cannot imagine you will be physically able to cope with breastfeeding afterwards. Both because of surgery and because of the dietary restrictions following the surgery.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

I cannot imagine you will be physically able to cope with breastfeeding afterwards. Both because of surgery and because of the dietary restrictions following the surgery.

I agree. The sudden drop to less than 1,200 calories a day barely supports your own health let alone a baby. I'd be done with the breast feeding before doing the surgery.

Since you like the idea of imitating the bariatric diet before you commit to the surgery, here's a sample plan.

http://bariatrics.ucla.edu/workfiles/UCLA-Bariatric-postoperative-diet-instructions.pdf

Skip straight to stage 4.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I only know a limited amount about the procedure and the aftercare, but I dont see how that would work out. You will be on such a restricted calorie diet your body will not be producing enough milk to allow you to continue breastfeeding. You will also have to pump and dump after the surgery until the medication is out of your system and you may not be able to take narcotics and limited pain medication, just something to think about.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    By the way, I only needed pain medication for about five days. The surgery means pain medications are further limited anyways (no NSAID's), and the prescribed codeine only made me nauseous (not a feeling you want after stomach surgery).
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yikes. I can't imagine even taking care of a baby so soon after major surgery, let alone breastfeeding. When I had my first baby via c-section, I wasn't even allowed to lift her for 3 weeks (she was a smidge over 8 lbs). I had to sit down and have someone put her on my lap so I could hold and feed her. I imagine bypass is a more major operation than a c-section.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    nshaf08 wrote: »
    I work in a hospital and see the aftermath of these types of surgeries. Complications can arise so do your research. There are success stories, however, you still have to put in work to maintain the weight loss. I see many people who put the weight right back on due to either complications from the procedure or simply from eating the wrong foods and/or too much of it. It's not a miracle procedure by any means. Good luck to you!

Do you mind sharing some stories about the aftermath that involves complications? If someone with diabetes and heart problems has the procedure done is there a higher chance of complications?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    only you can decide if you should go through with the surgery...but you have to realize that regardless, you're going to have to change your relationship with food and your dietary lifestyle...the surgery isn't going to magically fix any of that.

the surgery is just a tool...you're still going to have to commit to a better overall lifestyle.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @OneTwenty062016 I had diabetes (T2) prior to surgery and went in to remission very shortly afterwards. For the few days that my diet and medication routine was disrupted, the nurses monitored my blood sugar and provided any meds I needed through the IV.

Diabetes remission is a known side-benefit to the surgery.
  • Krisco190
    Krisco190 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Remember that the surgery is not a fix all. Make sure you know the after math of these surgeries. Smaller portions is a must or you may become physically ill. I knew one gal that after the surgery any breads, pasta, or cakes would make her puke.
    Unless your weight is so bad your told without extreme weight loss now, your going to die soon, I'd work on life changes without the surgery.
    Like changes are a must or this weight will return.
  • MarisolSol76
    Options
    I want to thank everyone that answered me. In a way I know many of youn are right. My lifestyle with unhealthy carbs, fast foods , and emotional eating has been going on and off. It is up to me to make that decision or not with surgery or without. .to make those changes happen. The reason I asked is because I have seen people with the surgery they lose weight and they are eating so unhealthy in which it looks they may gain all the weight back. I thought or I think maybe with surgery I have no way out and I must do it no matter what. However, the question I should be asking myself is; do I really want to change My relationship with food? Do I really have the will power of doing it? Because it's true I can have the surgery and yet eat wrong. That's where it will get ugly. Yes, I will lose the weight however, if I don't change my eating habits . Nothing ain't going to change. ...I have lots to think about. If I am going to go through this or not. Thank you all
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Why are you asking now ?

Ann Surg. 2010 Aug;252(2):319-24. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181e90b31.
    Long-term results of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for obesity.
    Himpens J1, Dobbeleir J, Peeters G.
    Author information
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:
    To determine the mid- and long-term efficacy and possible side effects of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy as treatment for morbid obesity.
    SUMMARY BACKGROUND DATA:
    Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is still controversial as single and final treatment for morbid obesity. Some favorable short-term results have been published, however long-term results are still lacking.
    METHODS:
    In the period between November 2001 and October 2002, 53 consecutive morbidly obese patients who, according to our personal algorithm, were qualified for restrictive surgery were selected for laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Of the 53 patients, 11 received an additional malabsorptive procedure at a later stage because of weight regain. The percentage of excess weight loss (EWL) was assessed at 3 and 6 years postoperatively. A retrospective review of a prospectively collected database was performed for evaluation after 3 years. Recently, after the sixth postoperative year, patients were again contacted and invited to fill out a questionnaire.
    RESULTS:
    Full cooperation was obtained in 41 patients, a response rate of 78%. Although after 3 years a mean EWL of 72.8% was documented, after 6 years EWL had dropped to 57.3%, which according to the Reinhold criteria is still satisfactory. These results included 11 patients who had benefited from an additional malabsorptive procedure (duodenal switch) and 2 patients who underwent a "resleeve" between the third and sixth postoperative year. Analyzing the results of the subgroup of 30 patients receiving only sleeve gastrectomy, we found a 3-year %EWL of 77.5% and 6+ year %EWL of 53.3%. The differences between the third and sixth postoperative year were statistically significant in both groups. Concerning long-term quality of life patient acceptance stayed good after 6 + years despite the fact that late, new gastro-esophageal reflux complaints appeared in 21% of patients.
    CONCLUSIONS:
    In this long-term report of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy, it appears that after 6+ years the mean excess weight loss exceeds 50%. However, weight regain and de novo gastroesophageal reflux symptoms appear between the third and the sixth postoperative year. This unfavorable evolution might have been prevented in some patients by continued follow-up office visits beyond the third year. Patient acceptance remains good after 6+ years.
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I used to believe in surgery, but I've seen a few things that have changed my own mind -

1. I used to volunteer with a woman who over 15 years had had a gastric balloon, then a band, then 2 x bypasses. After all that, she was back at her start weight within years of each. She had health problems, couldn't absorb minerals properly and couldn't eat normally, yet was still overweight. It had somehow impaired her liver function and she was always a bit yellow as well.
    2. My sister had a gastric band. Lost weight (not all of it, probably 42lbs over a year) then gained it all back. She's still paying the surgery off now. She lost more weight when she met her husband who isn't so interested in food.

I feel the biggest obstacle we face in losing weight isn't the food or the exercise - it's our mind.

I'm reading two books right now that really hit the nail on the head with me. One is by Judith Beck called The Beck Diet solution. She is a psychologist - her book is really amazing and is actually quite funny in parts. She gives you a 12 week programme to retrain your habits. You get 1 simple task a day to do. The other book is by Tom Venuto and is called The Body Fat solution. He is a genius! His book covers the background in fat loss and the emotional side, but also gives you a home work out routine and an eating plan too. I've followed his advice for a week and home workout and lost 6lbs and shrunk an inch all over too.

I'd really recommend exploring these books whilst you consider the surgery.

I wish you luck whatever path you choose.

• Aerocrazd
    Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    64crayons wrote: »
    Here's my thinking on the subject. First, you have to lose some weight before you can have the surgery. If you can lose that weight on your own, you can lose more weight on your own. Also, you have to make major changes to your eating after the surgery. If you can make those changes, you can make those major changes without the surgery.

Why not give yourself a year of doing it without the surgery, but living "as if" you'd had the surgery? Ask your doctor to help you follow the post-op plan, without having to actually be post-op. If you stick with it, great! You don't need surgery. If you can't stick with it, it means you probably wouldn't have been successful with the surgery either.

This is exactly what I did. For two weeks I ate as if I was post-op. And it was tough. I decided that if I wanted to eat that Big Mac or that piece of chocolate cake that I wanted that option. All I had left to do was schedule my surgery date and it was a done deal. I was paying out of pocket for the surgery and decided that if I could lose the weight on my own that I would use that money for plastic surgery and that's what I have done. Was it easy losing the weight? At first, no. After I learned the concept of CICO and moderation that's when it became easier. I still have about 10 pounds that I want to lose and those are being stubborn but I have the rest of my life to do it. I will be glad to chat with you or be friends if you like. I'm not very vocal on the boards but would love more friends. Take care and good luck.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Ok my opinion......surgery won't help! I also know someone that had surgery and put on weight as the food attitude didn't change! Now I'm also ADHD lists girl you need to start your lists!! Put a list on the fridge everymorning of you daily eating plan! Do you do this for the rest of your daily activities to get everything done? I have black boards and white boards everywhere to keep me on track!! Use them but remember short lists and remove and add after each meal or job is done!! ADHA and over eating go hand in hand no surgery is going to change that....sorry :(
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Read the success boards and you'll see that those people are just like you and me. I wouldn't alter the functioning of my body surgically, to correct a psychological issue. I'd work on the psychological issue. All of us on here have issues, or we wouldn't be here. I would never not want to be able to eat a candy bar or a steak again. But I am working on fitting those things into my life in moderation. Good luck with your decision. There's no rush.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP did you read the link I posted? I think anyone considering weight loss surgery should read this first.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options

Wow what an honest, heart felt article! The lady I know that had it done (gastric band) struggled so so much, we kept commenting on how awesome she looked but she just changed emotionally so much, we were worried, she was melting chocolate in the microwave so she could eat more her eating habits were actually getting worse, in the end we all lost contact with her she changed her phone number and moved house :( I ran into her at the supermarket about 5 years later and she was back to her former size. She said hello but not much more than that, I gave her my phone number and said we must catch up, she said yes but I never heard from her :(