Anyone else considered morbidly obese and feel discouraged?

Options
I hate hate hate the classification morbidly obese and it's even more depressing that in order for me to be out of this classification I need to lose 70 more lbs. I'm so much more active now and have worked my fat *kitten* off to lose 50lbs. but to know that in order to be considered "healthy" I need to lose so much more than I thought is just frustrating. I'm not going to let it get me down but was just curious if anyone else finds this hard to swallow.

Replies

• cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I did 10 pound goals. It made it much easier. (But always keep the long term goal in the back of my head)
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I just looked at that damn chart and despite losing 45lbs I am still morbidly obese.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    DO NOT feel discouraged by a word. I heard someone describe James Gandolfini as 'a little overweight' and I think that's part of the reason why we're heavy. I was always HUSKY or CHUNKY when really I was fat and at times morbidly obese. I NEVER thought so while going through it but it's true. Just keep plugging along... you're gonna be great!!!!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I did 10 pound goals. It made it much easier. (But always keep the long term goal in the back of my head)

This :)
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I was morbidly obese on 1/17/2013. I am now severely obese. Can't wait to be overweight.

My point is, happiness is in progress. I don't feel discouraged because I am working on it.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    it will take awhile, its one day at a time, or one meal at a time, or one week at a time. it is encouraging to see progress, so be encouraged when you see the progress.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I am no longer in the 'morbidy obese' range... just the 'obese' range and I understand your frustration. My next goal is to get into the just 'over weight' range...I've struggled to be sure but, this morning I remembered something a 12-stepper friend used to say to me "Progress, S.W. Not perfection."
  • wailana82
    wailana82 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    According the BMI charts Im "Obese". I dont consider myself obese. Overweight? Yes, but not obese.

38319904.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jaxelrad22
    jaxelrad22 Posts: 118
    Options
    I feel right there with you, I refuse to be this way for life though. It's hard not to think of food as a reward when you have done well or want to celebrate. I'm going to try this 10lb goal at a time, hope it works for both of us!
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    10 lb goal at a time sounds wonderful :) I'm going to do that too
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am classified as obese, even after losing 70ish pounds. Talk about depressing. But, I try to go on looks and how i feel. But lately I've been getting pretty depressed about it....

I am trying to aim for 10 pounds at a time..... or 5.... and eating healthy.
  • Slythiechick
    Slythiechick Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother with the numbers...I go by how my body feels and how my clothing fits. I was in a size 24/26 at my heaviest. Now I'm down to and 18/20. And still dropping. I don't even own a scale, but every so often I will check at the gym to plug it in on here to keep my calorie counts accurate, but I don't dwell on it if the number's not as low as I'd hoped. I feel better, and fitting in a lower size. Good enough for me.
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    One of the hardest things about this is having to be patient. I can intellectually understand that it took years to gain the weight, its not going to come off in a matter of weeks or even sometimes months. So feeling discouraged is really understandable. The thing to do is simply not give up. If I have a bad day, or go a couple of weeks without losing anything, it can be emotionally difficult to keep a positive mind-set. But I know it will work if I just keep going.

When you think about it, its a little funny that so many of us are looking forward to being only 'overweight!' I once saw a doctor's comment on my chart where he had noted I was 'obese.' It was eye-opening, and shameful to me. But I've come a long way, have a much better out look, and know that I can do this.

I think that we should all be proud of ourselves! We're here doing what needs to be done, and its hard, but so, so important. :flowerforyou: Kudos to all of us going from morbidly obese, to obese, to over-weight, to healthy, from under-weight to healthy weight, whatever our stories are!

Okay, enough flowery crap for today...:tongue:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I spent the past 4 years losing 312 lbs. and by classification I am still consider class 1 obese and yeah know what I could give a crap less. Someones interpretation of where I should be by some bogus scale will not define me... I know how I feel and how I look and that is all that matters... Do I want to lose some more weight?? Sure...... I am at 248 currently and been in maintenance for the past 8 months (healing from a circumferential body lift) but may shoot for 235ish at some point but am happy where I am at... I will never me that 6 ft. 1 in. 185 lb. BMI chart male, it just won't happen. I am not built that way.... Don't let it define you, just keep working at it you have done great so far... Best of Luck....
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I was morbidly obese on 1/17/2013. I am now severely obese. Can't wait to be overweight.

My point is, happiness is in progress. I don't feel discouraged because I am working on it.

Such a great phrase... "Happiness is in progress."
  • nak1a
    nak1a Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was playing around on different websites to research different calorie calculators and I found one that calculates your BMI, i was classified as Obese Stage III, the highest damn thing. I did feel really bad seeing it, but I didn't feel discouraged, instead I feel more encouraged than ever to stick to my weight loss/healthy eating goals. I mean, the calculator didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I already know I am considered obese, morbidly obese or whatever. It was just a huge reality check to see OBESE STAGE III. So yea, I am just choosing to use it as more motivation to keep doing what I am doing. Then I'll be Obese Stage II, Stage I, and finally no longer obese. :)
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    y'all are amazing. keep fighting peeps...
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I spent the past 4 years losing 312 lbs. and by classification I am still consider class 1 obese and yeah know what I could give a crap less. Someones interpretation of where I should be by some bogus scale will not define me... I know how I feel and how I look and that is all that matters... Do I want to lose some more weight?? Sure...... I am at 248 currently and been in maintenance for the past 8 months (healing from a circumferential body lift) but may shoot for 235ish at some point but am happy where I am at... I will never me that 6 ft. 1 in. 185 lb. BMI chart male, it just won't happen. I am not built that way.... Don't let it define you, just keep working at it you have done great so far... Best of Luck....

You are the MOST motivational and inspirational person on MFP, hands down!! When I see what you've done, it makes my 18 lb weight loss seem like a raindrop in a great lake. YOU ROCK!
  • jodsap
    jodsap Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Those are just words... You define what you " are " .
  • MySlimGoals
    MySlimGoals Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    Having small goal steps along the way has helped me come down to the Overweight category. Choose something nice to do as a reward at each step that you can really look forward to. For my first reward I chose two movies and a chinese meal afterwards - one movie was for reaching the goal - the next was for being just below the goal only a couple of days after the movie and meal. I know that seems like an excessive reward - I mean TWO movies and bad FOOD at the first - but I wasn't going to put it all on with one meal when I could calorie count all day beforehand and start working towards the next goal straight away the day after. It worked for me. I'm now overweight instead, and I've had nice goal rewards the whole way down.