Calories used doing free weights

Options
Again, total novice question, so apologies to all experienced MFP readers. I'm alternating weights one day with cardio next, so on and so forth. Rest day after every 4 days or so. How come the app doesn't account for calories burnt doing weights? I am sweating buckets with efforts of training and wondered how this affects my energy consumption immediately and long term. Cheers

Replies

• EzRemake
    EzRemake Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights burns negligible calories. It's easier to just not track it at all.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I will log it, jut to keep track of it, but one hour of lifting will give about 200 cal. I know it feels like it should be more, but it's not really. I don't tend to eat back the cals from it. If you want to log and get the cals, you can log strength training under cardio.
  • teamvic
    teamvic Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    EzRemake wrote: »
    Lifting weights burns negligible calories. It's easier to just not track it at all.

Oh, ok. Thought (wrongly) that cos I was moving something bl**dy heavy I was burning energy. Thanks, won't get concerned about calories in future. Cheers
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I count it as 250 calories for 60-75 min and have read on this site a lot of others do the same. Sweat isn't really a factor for calories burned as heart rate would be a better measurement.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It doesnt burn that many calories during your workout, but your body will expend a bit more energy the rest of the day to build and repair, but its really not measurable so its hard to say.
  • teamvic
    teamvic Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I count it as 250 calories for 60-75 min and have read on this site a lot of others do the same. Sweat isn't really a factor for calories burned as heart rate would be a better measurement.

Yeah, got a heart rate monitor the other day and used it for first time on road bike. I was surprised how low my heart rate was, obviously I was kidding myself I was working hard. Pushed my effort up 20-30 bpm and I felt t difference, hopefully now I can train smarter and not rely on my lazy brain.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    teamvic wrote: »

Yeah, got a heart rate monitor the other day and used it for first time on road bike. I was surprised how low my heart rate was, obviously I was kidding myself I was working hard. Pushed my effort up 20-30 bpm and I felt t difference, hopefully now I can train smarter and not rely on my lazy brain.

Please only use your HRM on the bike!
    Whatever you do don't try to use a HRM to estimate calories burned during weight training - it will give a ridiculous number.

Just log it under cardiovascular section of your diary and you will get a very rough estimate based on METS.
    Search for "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training) "
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    It doesnt burn that many calories during your workout, but your body will expend a bit more energy the rest of the day to build and repair, but its really not measurable so its hard to say.

What she said