Is it better to do strenght or cardio training first?

Options
What is the right order if my primary goal is to lose weight? I suppose strenght should be first, because, in that way, carbs will be spent and body will start using fat "stocks".

Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Why not both?
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it doesn't matter.

In general, do the exercise that's most important to you first. You want to do your most important workout when you're freshest.
  • lionkingbg
    lionkingbg Posts: 33 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Tnx a lot rick.

@roblloyd89 I want to do both on the same training! But i am not quite sure which should be the first.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It takes running for a very long time (like at least a half marathon length) to boink (when your body runs out of glycogen stores). And boinking is not fun at all (picture people falling and crawling to the end of a marathon). You are veru, very unlikely to boink during normal cardio or weight training. I always do strength first but it doesn't make you start burning your fat (and muscle) if you do cardio afterwards.
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    lionkingbg wrote: »
    Tnx a lot rick.

@roblloyd89 I want to do both on the same training! But i am not quite sure which should be the first.

Ah great question.

Cardio first, gets the blood pumping.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    lionkingbg wrote: »
    What is the right order if my primary goal is to lose weight? I suppose strenght should be first, because, in that way, carbs will be spent and body will start using fat "stocks".

No that's not how your body works.
    Your calorie deficit over time causes fat loss. Don't complicate something very simple.

Exercise for fitness and health, calorie deficit for weight/fat loss.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Strength first so that you can give the lifts your all, imho.
  • ThatFatAsianNerd
    ThatFatAsianNerd Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    I can't stand doing cardio at the gym so I do cardio outdoors -- hiking, running, or even just walking the dogs in the evenings.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Ideally split them by 5-6 hours (run lunch, weights before dinner/evening) but if that's not practical I'd do weights first then do the cardio/run.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I lift first because that's where I want the most energy to go. Whatever is left goes to cardio.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals...
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've tried both. The winner for me is cardio first. I suspect it's the endorphin's after my cardio, but I have so much more energy to do strength training. In addition, I lift *more* weight in my strength training after cardio too.

I may just be weird...
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I always do strength first, then HIIT for cardio. After the HIIT I am in no condition to do anything else :smiley:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    To some extent it doesn't matter unless strength training I'd your primary focus. Then strength should be first. I have a hard time grasping any reason to do cardio, then strength, but others seem to like it that way so.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Depends on your goals...

voila...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I do cardio first because I don't like it as much and it helps warm me up - also if I'm with PT I can get it out the way before he tortures me with lifts and stuff
  • vinster345
    vinster345 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My PT gives me some cardio to warm up before my strength training, and then some cardio to finish.
  • galinkzoo
    galinkzoo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tend to do strength training first, and then cardio. I do this just because cardio is so long (relative to each set i do for the strength training) that I am so tired after wards. I also do this so that my muscles are all warmed up after strength training for my cardio.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is shaping up as a personal preference. An additional factor is how much I put into it. I used to work harder in cardio - leaving too little umph left for a good effort on the weights, and I tended not to work to exhaustion during weights. Thus for me, weights first. If cardio is a less intense warm-up then it makes sense to do that first. Lately, I've gone for more intensity in both and typically do each on alternate days except for a brief cardio warm-up before weights.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I do strength first because I want to be freshest for that.

I only do cardio at the gym in the winter when its crappy outside anyway.

Like now.

I hate it. :(