Calorie intake :

Options
I'm not a morning person... at all. I never have time to make breakfast before heading to class. Is it OK to skip breakfast even though I still make up for the calories later? (At dinner time with shakes or ensure) or is it best to prepare my meal at night for in the morning?

I just want to know if it really makes a difference..

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    shecurly wrote: »
    Is it OK to skip breakfast even though I still make up for the calories later?
    Yes.

It doesn't.
  • shecurly
    shecurly Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes.

It doesn't.

Thank goodness
  • shecurly
    Options
    Yes.

It doesn't.

Thank goodness

:)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Yes.

It doesn't.

thread over
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Don't skip your breakfast.. its better to prepare my your meal at night for breakfast..
  • mweckler
    mweckler Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast has been scientifically shown to slow down weight loss and actually make you retain weight. I am the same way. I choose to sleep an extra 10 minutes in the morning, so I throw together a quick protein shake as my breakfast.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    mweckler wrote: »
    Skipping breakfast has been scientifically shown to slow down weight loss and actually make you retain weight. I am the same way. I choose to sleep an extra 10 minutes in the morning, so I throw together a quick protein shake as my breakfast.

what, no it doesn't... regardless when you eat, 5 am ot 12 pm you are breaking your fast (breakfast) so everyone eats breakfast or will eventually die.

I think the studies you refer to may indicate those that don't eat breakfast tend to eat more throughout the day, but if you eat the same calories, meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.
  • erickirb
    Options
    BettyBoles wrote: »
    Don't skip your breakfast.. its better to prepare my your meal at night for breakfast..

Why not skip it... some people are not hungry in the morning or some other reason for not eating it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Dead wrong

Please provide peer reviewed source showing direct link between skipping breakfast and reduced weight loss...

Also, this is the gaining forum...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

The only studies I have seen to suggest that, are the ones that clearly state that in observation studies, people who eat regularly tend to make smarter choices. But outside of that, there is no scientific reason to not skip meals.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

(Even if that were really true, which it's not)...since you're on the GAINING weight forum......
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Post a link to the peer-reviewed study/studies which allegedly show this.

Then Google "Intermittent Fasting" and read about lots and lots of people who have met their goals (losing weight, gaining weight, recomp, etc.) while eating all their meals within a short time window every day.
  • erickirb
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Then Google "Intermittent Fasting" and read about lots and lots of people who have met their goals (losing weight, gaining weight, recomp, etc.) while eating all their meals within a short time window every day.

I agree breakfast is not needed, buy why do you expect them to produce peer reviewed studies but your claim is only using google. If you put that on someone else you should do the same. That said there are many studies out there that debunk meal timing... comes down to cals in cals out.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Skipping breakfast wouldn't work for me, I'd be too hungry later and hate my day! But if you can stay on track with your own diet program, it won't make a difference.
    It's personal preference; I like a fasting AM workout.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's been scientifically proven that reading articles (read: "advertisements") funded by specific food products or organizations that will benefit from said reading often leads the misinformed to believe what they read and even consider it "scientific evidence" (without ever reading the actual study) and ultimately change their eating habits in favor of those who funded the articles publication (again, read: "advertisements").

Surprise. Don't believe everything you read. These "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" studies don't really tackle the real reason they make this claim. That would go against the agenda of their backers looking to sell more breakfast items. In the end, CICO wins.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Any studies I have seen have shown correlation, not causation. And since OP posted this in the "Gaining Weight" section, it sounds like maybe she SHOULD skip breakfast.

OP, if you are trying to gain weight, it's all about calories, just make sure you hit that goal number :) Good luck!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

I agree breakfast is not needed, buy why do you expect them to produce peer reviewed studies but your claim is only using google. If you put that on someone else you should do the same. That said there are many studies out there that debunk meal timing... comes down to cals in cals out.

1) It's generally accepted that the onus of proof is upon the one who makes the claim.

2) I agree 100% re: the invalidity of meal timing and the importance of CICO; however, with that said...

2a) ...if you put it upon me to provide studies for my original refutation of the poster's claim, why did you not do the same?
  • shecurly
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Any studies I have seen have shown correlation, not causation. And since OP posted this in the "Gaining Weight" section, it sounds like maybe she SHOULD skip breakfast.

OP, if you are trying to gain weight, it's all about calories, just make sure you hit that goal number :) Good luck!

Yes, I am trying to gain weight.
    I'll still eat breakfast whenever I can. Just wanted to know if not eating it can cause any delays in my weight gain . Thank you all.
  • erickirb
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

1) It's generally accepted that the onus of proof is upon the one who makes the claim.

2) I agree 100% re: the invalidity of meal timing and the importance of CICO; however, with that said...

2a) ...if you put it upon me to provide studies for my original refutation of the poster's claim, why did you not do the same?

I agree with what you put.. My issue was you saying Hey show me studies since I don't believe you, just google what I said to see the opposite. You offered a counter argument using google as your source, that is my only issue with what you posted.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @shecurly welcome to MFP forums.

For any Way Of Eating to work for one it has to fit their lifestyle more or less. Weighting our bodies from time to time tells us the net results of our WOE.

Best of success.