OrangeTheory Fitness!!! Out Of This World!

Options
I am completely obsessed with OTF, I lost inches going 5x's a week for 30 days, I wasn't eating according to my goals either and was able to lose weight. I love the challenge and I always leave the studio happy and accomplished.
This has been my go to method of training because I have completely lost motivation to workout on my own, which consist of weight training and little to no cardio. When I get my clearance to workout again, I will be implementing heavy weight lifting because I did lose some muscle mass, since the orange. The orange is circuit training however to tone, even when I use heavy weights at the orange as well, I feel like I wasn't accomplishing that.

Has anyone tried OTF and what is your experience and thoughts?

Replies

• ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was considering it but the price was ridiculous in my opinion. Here they want over $400 just for 10 sessions. Instead I have a gym pass for $48 /month and I do the group fitness Classes five days a week.
  • IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Loved OTF! I tried a class 2 weeks ago and I plan on joining this week. I already workout daily and plan on adding it as an extra workout a couple of times a week. I was most surprised at how challenging it was for me. It made me realize that I still had barriers to break and showed me different ways of doing the same exercises I was already doing. Good stuff!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    ragenhay1 wrote: »
    I was considering it but the price was ridiculous in my opinion. Here they want over $400 just for 10 sessions. Instead I have a gym pass for $48 /month and I do the group fitness Classes five days a week.

Wow! That's high! I think here it's about $150 a month. I have not tried but considering trying a free class to see what all the hype is about.
  • tiffastar
    tiffastar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have been in OTF since July 2015 and love it. I go 5 - 6 days a week and it's about $149/month which yes is a lot but it's a great atmosphere, it's a mix of rower, tread, weights and TRX bands. There is no waiting for other people to finish their time on a treadmill and it's like having a personal trainer for an hour each day. I would say I am way more toned.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Are you certain about that pricing? Because you could almost get one in one training for that. Even crossfit is usually sub $200 per month. I usually see OTF for at unlimited monthly for around & 140-150 or so
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    My friend works at one of those... I admit- I honestly find it reads very pretentious to me and have avoided it at all cost.

But- it doesn't matter- as long as you are consistent and it makes you happy and you get results.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    JoJo__Fit wrote: »
    I am completely obsessed with OTF, I lost inches going 5x's a week for 30 days, I wasn't eating according to my goals either and was able to lose weight. I love the challenge and I always leave the studio happy and accomplished.
    This has been my go to method of training because I have completely lost motivation to workout on my own, which consist of weight training and little to no cardio. When I get my clearance to workout again, I will be implementing heavy weight lifting because I did lose some muscle mass, since the orange. The orange is circuit training however to tone, even when I use heavy weights at the orange as well, I feel like I wasn't accomplishing that.

Whatever works for you and motivates you. OTF is about 10% science and 90% marketing and woo. (And even some of their "science"--i e the claims about EPOC--are distorted).

However the same could be said about most exercise classes and "branded" training methods. People see results from OTF because they are motivated by the routine and that makes them not only more focused during the workout, but makes them more consistent with the program. Again, that is not insignificant -- a major component of success in a training program is being motivated to stick with it.

It probably sounds like I am being negative, but that is not my intent. I just think it is important for people to understand that there is nothing magic or unique about OTF from a physiological standpoint. If people are going to spend a lot of money--whether it's for OTF, a personal trainer, hot yoga, Pilates, etc--they should know what they are buying.
  • Azdak
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    My friend works at one of those... I admit- I honestly find it reads very pretentious to me and have avoided it at all cost.

But- it doesn't matter- as long as you are consistent and it makes you happy and you get results.

No, I don't see you as an OTF person. ;)

• pmommyz
    pmommyz Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

You're incorrect by your pricing. Even in premier markets like NYC, LA, DC or Chicago the price isn't north of $200 for an unlimited membership which means you can take as many classes as you would like in a month. I would fact check before you presume the price. I have been going since July and it's a great workout. Which is why so many gyms are now trying to replicate the workout in their class structure.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    pmommyz wrote: »

You're incorrect by your pricing. Even in premier markets like NYC, LA, DC or Chicago the price isn't north of $200 for an unlimited membership which means you can take as many classes as you would like in a month. I would fact check before you presume the price. I have been going since July and it's a great workout. Which is why so many gyms are now trying to replicate the workout in their class structure.

my friend pays $370/month for unlimited in NYC so the pricing is in fact correct.
  • fallingwave
    fallingwave Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I signed up for the Elite plan (8 classes per month) for $89. I like the workouts but... There are cons. 1, I am not seeing any weight loss. Diet could improve but I am killing myself at OT so I should see SOME change on the scale. Secondly, they do not offer childcare. They should for the price.

I am also a member at the gym at my community center. They offer $5/day passes. They have classes, and indoor track and machines. OT comes to about $11 per class. I do feel it is overpriced but it's a good workout, good environment, and they keep you motivated. I would really like to see a change on the scale, though.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I signed up for the Elite plan (8 classes per month) for $89. I like the workouts but... There are cons. 1, I am not seeing any weight loss. Diet could improve but I am killing myself at OT so I should see SOME change on the scale.

Sorry, if you don't eat at a deficit it doesn't matter how much you kill yourself by exercising, you won't lose weight. CI has to be less than CO for weight change to happen (ok, if CI is greater than CO, then weight change happens too, but most people want to lose weight, not gain it).
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »

my friend pays $370/month for unlimited in NYC so the pricing is in fact correct.

Yep. I i didn't believe it either so I just went online and checked. $34 per class for single sessions, no free trial class, $20 premium if you have a membership from a different location, and $350+ for unlimited. Wow. what does crossfit cost in Manhattan?
  • bellaa_x0
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Yep. I i didn't believe it either so I just went online and checked. $34 per class for single sessions, no free trial class, $20 premium if you have a membership from a different location, and $350+ for unlimited. Wow. what does crossfit cost in Manhattan?

yep lol I have a membership in NY, but outside of NYC and visited the NYC location and was charged an additional $20 to take a class there.. its ridiculous.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options

No clue but I did notice even cheap gyms like Retro Fitness are more expensive in NYC by about 30%, so I would guess add 15-30% to a "normal" gym cost and that's what you pay in NYC. But bear in mind at least some of that is likely due to real estate costs.
  • bellaa_x0
    Options

No clue but I did notice even cheap gyms like Retro Fitness are more expensive in NYC by about 30%, so I would guess add 15-30% to a "normal" gym cost and that's what you pay in NYC. But bear in mind at least some of that is likely due to real estate costs.

yup - NYC is considered "premiere" by most gyms compared to other states aka they charge you more.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Whatever works for you and motivates you. OTF is about 10% science and 90% marketing and woo. (And even some of their "science"--i e the claims about EPOC--are distorted).

However the same could be said about most exercise classes and "branded" training methods. People see results from OTF because they are motivated by the routine and that makes them not only more focused during the workout, but makes them more consistent with the program. Again, that is not insignificant -- a major component of success in a training program is being motivated to stick with it.

It probably sounds like I am being negative, but that is not my intent. I just think it is important for people to understand that there is nothing magic or unique about OTF from a physiological standpoint. If people are going to spend a lot of money--whether it's for OTF, a personal trainer, hot yoga, Pilates, etc--they should know what they are buying.

^ This
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

OTF is effective because it uses technology to tap into people's competitive and narcissistic tendencies. The new spin bikes at my Y do something similar, although less gadgety - there's a light on the bike that turns a different color based on your level of exertion.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Probably one of those things if you have to ask you can't afford it. Looking at the size of crossfit boxes in my area the lease payments would be out of this world in Manhattan.
  • Azdak
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

OTF is effective because it uses technology to tap into people's competitive and narcissistic tendencies. The new spin bikes at my Y do something similar, although less gadgety - there's a light on the bike that turns a different color based on your level of exertion.

Like I said:

Woo