Go-To Vegetables?

Options
2»

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    Always: onions, red/orange/yellow bell peppers, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, mushrooms and fresh garlic
    Often: spinach, alfalfa sprouts, yellow squash, butternut squash, and okra
    Canned: pumpkin, diced tomatoes, marinated artichokes, and heart of palm

These are our go-to veggies for hubby's breakfast and I generally tolerate these well. We stick with the lower carb veggies as a personal preference.

I want to live in the veggie section of your fridge!

lol I was a vegetarian for years and still love them, but they don't always love me. @kc4nus cannot and will not live without his daily veggies. He usually gets them 3 meals a day even on keto.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Asparagus! Yummy with just a little lemon juice, or a pinch of butter if you've got the calories to spare.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    potatoes, frozen mixed veggies , broccoli,cauliflower,mushrooms,corn,spinach almost always in the house

now i suddenly have a craving for brussel sprouts
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a LOT of broccoli. I roast it with a shake of vegetable spice and a half-teaspoon of olive oil. Fifteen minutes in the oven is all it takes.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Any frozen veggies I have on hand. Typically broccoli, peas, or cauliflower, or random mixed veggies.

I realized that I just really don't like green beans so I'm not buying those anymore...
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    My favorite veggies right now are tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, broccoli, brussels sprouts, asparagus, spinach, mushrooms and sugar snap peas.
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My favorites are zucchini and Napa cabbage - super low calories, I can eat as much as I want and still hardly consume any calories. Green beans are filling and low calories. Love frozen green peas, little more calories, but very satisfying. Cauliflower is great as well and other types of cabbages.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    beets and more beets. so so good for you
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    chiling18 wrote: »
    What are some good go-to veggie options?
    Things that are easy/quick to fix up or throw in a meal?
    Since I'm the only one in the house that eats veggies, I tend to just keep a few basics on hand...things that will last forever.
    Carrots, cabbage, broccoli, frozen peas, frozen edamame...and there is usually a shredded head of lettuce for salads.
    Potatoes, of course, but I dont think they count as a healthy vegetable right? lol

Potatoes are a starchy vegetable...and pack quite a bit of nutrition actually. They are a good source of dietary fiber and as far as veggies go, a good source of protein. They are an excellent source of potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6. Potatoes are also a decent source of iron and magnesium and provide modest amounts of calcium.

We're veggie eaters in my house...we eat a lot of greens (usually sautéed), broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, beets, cabbage, peas, various squashes, green beans...you name it.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of different vegetables [they've all been listed in other posts] but the most important veggie to me is the humble onion because it is the base of so many tasty and healthy recipes - I could not be without onions!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I usually have these on hand:

Fresh
    • Romaine
    • Fresh spinach
    • Tomatoes
    • Asparagus (I like eating it raw or lightly steamed)
    • Brussel sprouts (so good roasted!)
    • Red bell pepper
    • Armenian cucumbers (or English cucumbers if I can't find the Armenians)
    • Mushrooms (usually the mini portobellos)
    • Sweet potatoes and/or white potatoes
    • Summer squash (when in season)
    • Corn on the cob (when in season)
    • Zucchini (the small ones)
    • Green beans (I lightly steam them, season with garlic salt, and eat them as a snack throughout the week)
    • Sprouts (I make them myself. Usually sprouted from a blend of alfalfa, broccoli, radish and clover seeds)
    • Green and white onions
    • Garlic
    Frozen
    • Corn
    • Peas
    • Butternut squash
    • Okra (Roast till crisp. Makes a great snack)
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I keep frozen veggies in steamer bags. The men in my house won't eat any veggies, their choice, but I can easily add them to my own dinners. Frozen broccoli, brussel sprouts, and peas are my favorites. Then I also have canned green beans too. I hate those frozen.