What happens when you excercise while being slightly drunk?

Options
Does this ever happen to you? You go out and drink too beers, when you only were supposed to have one. So once at home you workout to eliminate the excess calories.
It happened to me a couple of times, and I was wondering if it was bad to exercise when you are a bit tipsy. I tired to drink more water because I supposed that I was dehydrated because of the alcohol. I also noticed that I was out of breath faster than usual.
What do you think? Should I stop doing that and try to compensate another day?

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    How drunk?
    Make sure you video it.
    Why would it matter?

(It doesn't.)

But maybe you should get less drunk?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If you don't drink to excess too often, just cop it on the chin, I wouldn't be exercising while drunk. Risk of injury, dehydration etc.

If you do drink to excess fairly often, maybe time to reconsider your drink habit.

No idea if the facts are correct in response to the question, but it may be useful:
    http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/working-out-after-drinking
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    If you don't drink to excess too often, just cop it on the chin, I wouldn't be exercising while drunk. Risk of injury, dehydration etc.

If you don't drink to excess fairly often, maybe time to reconsider your drink habit.
    Are you sure?
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,360 Member
    Options
    fixed it :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    do you fall over?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    yeah, i feel like that's a situation that sets you up for making silly mistakes and maybe injuring yourself.

i would definitely avoid swimming while drunk.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Other than a much higher likelihood of hurting yourself? Not much.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I'm enjoying a couple of glasses of wine in the evening and watching a film, I'm also strolling on the treadmill - I'd rather walk than sit on my bum. I wouldn't advise running though!
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I did it last week, I did an insanity exercise about 10pm at night. I had one beer but I haven't drank in a while, so felt a tipsy.

I think for me the real difficulty was that the beer was heavy on my stomach and all the jumping wasn't great, so I felt really nauseous and definitely wasn't working out to my full potential. So I wouldn't recommend it, just because you can probably work out better/harder when you're sober.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    pandabear_ wrote: »
    I did it last week, I did an insanity exercise about 10pm at night. I had one beer but I haven't drank in a while, so felt a tipsy.

I think for me the real difficulty was that the beer was heavy on my stomach and all the jumping wasn't great, so I felt really nauseous and definitely wasn't working out to my full potential. So I wouldn't recommend it, just because you can probably work out better/harder when you're sober.

Why not both?
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    You may be more likely to slur your preacher curls, or start a fight with some dumbbells. Beware that other gym patrons may appear more attractive than normal, due to a phenomenon known as "bro goggles." Also remember to arrange a designated deadlifter beforehand. You will probably have a good time, but also regret some things in the morning.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I don't get the urge to workout once I've had a drink....possibly because my drinks are usually planned and workouts done earlier in the day, but also because when it's time to workout, it's time to workout. When it's time to chill and have a drinkie, my weight is not my top priority (for the most part!)
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Broken hip ready to happen! I'm unsteady on the treadmill without drinking.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I made the mistake of having a few too many over the summer combined with not enough sleep. Got up in the morning still tipsy an jumped on the treadmill, trust me it was an ugly sight not to mention smelly. My feet refused to cooperate felt like I had glue on them, I stumbled several times and got pretty bruised up but the stench of stale beer and sweat was the worst...really not good for the stomach at that hour
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I think it's just a situation where the risks outweigh the benefits. You're probably not going to be working as hard while drunk and like everyone else pointed out, injury waiting to happen. Just sober up and work out the next day.
  • IncredibleMulk77
    IncredibleMulk77 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    You may be more likely to slur your preacher curls, or start a fight with some dumbbells. Beware that other gym patrons may appear more attractive than normal, due to a phenomenon known as "bro goggles." Also remember to arrange a designated deadlifter beforehand. You will probably have a good time, but also regret some things in the morning.

HILARIOUS!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    Broken hip ready to happen! I'm unsteady on the treadmill without drinking.

LOL At first I interpreted this as you have to have a drink to be steady on the treadmill.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just call it a night and go the next morning. I like taking a cycling class as a cure for hangovers. It sucks while I'm there but I feel 100000 times better after.

Using exercise as punishment doesn't sound like it's setting you up for a good relationship with exercise.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Does this ever happen to you? You go out and drink too beers, when you only were supposed to have one. So once at home you workout to eliminate the excess calories.
    It happened to me a couple of times, and I was wondering if it was bad to exercise when you are a bit tipsy. I tired to drink more water because I supposed that I was dehydrated because of the alcohol. I also noticed that I was out of breath faster than usual.
    What do you think? Should I stop doing that and try to compensate another day?

Personally i don't mind excess calories.

I'm not sure what exercising you mean. I've ridden a bicycle for an couple hours with a few in me, I've played in one or two football games I'm sure with some level of alcohol in my system, I've caught baseball games last year in the morning after a long night out, I've lifted a few times while drink a couple beers.

Like yah mentioned, dehydration is something to be aware of. I never took the either field when there was a chance it would effect me when heat was involved.

One or two extra drinks over your cal intake in one day isn't magically going to turn into fat. Its more of average thing. I wouldn't get to compulsive about a few cals over just one day.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I would be worried about getting even more dehydrated, but I admit I have run home from the bar more than once instead of taking a cab.