Things I still don't understand . . .

Options
I've been maintaining a few years. One thing I still do NOT understand. I'll be at a stable weight, probably slightly at the high end of my range. I'll have a high calorie day - yesterday I was hungry and went 500 over the day (I'm fine for the week). And the next day my weight will DROP. Like drop 4 pounds. It happens consistently and, no, I'm not pooping it out. It must cause me to drop water.

Oddities you've noticed?

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    That's happened to me a lot. I think I might have heard people refer to it as a "whoosh". Sometimes too, when I'm actively trying to lose but I have a whole week or two of zero progress, then I'll binge a bit for a day and next day, bam 2 lbs down.
  • christinaleigh44
    christinaleigh44 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Same thing has happend to me... Thought I was the only one lol.. it's just WEIRD.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I can't say I get this. :/

If I eat takeaway Chinese my weight will show 2lbs higher for 3 days but that's sodium. ...

I would have loved a whoosh of several pounds when i was in lose mode though. ..with me it was slow and slower and stop lol
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too. If I eat huge one day, the next day I'm down. Even if its carbs and sodium. Would love to know the science behind it.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling! No brainier!
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    That's happened to me a lot. I think I might have heard people refer to it as a "whoosh". Sometimes too, when I'm actively trying to lose but I have a whole week or two of zero progress, then I'll binge a bit for a day and next day, bam 2 lbs down.

Yes, the whoosh effect. It generally happens with those who’ve been in a deficit for a while, causing a rise in cortisol, which increases water retention. When you then eat a lot, cortisol levels drop and water retention drops. You wake up the next day several pounds lighter.

Unfortunately, it’s not a good long term weight loss plan. You can’t overeat to lose weight.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »

Yes, the whoosh effect. It generally happens with those who’ve been in a deficit for a while, causing a rise in cortisol, which increases water retention. When you then eat a lot, cortisol levels drop and water retention drops. You wake up the next day several pounds lighter.

Unfortunately, it’s not a good long term weight loss plan. You can’t overeat to lose weight.

For a brief moment there i thought hhhhhmmmm Lets overeat so i can see the scale go down the next day.... But it was just a wonderful daydream :lol:

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Even that has never happened to me, lol.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Even that has never happened to me, lol.

Ha - me neither!
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too. Interesting to read the reason, thanks @jim180155
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Yeah, I get that in a deficit too. But why do you think it would happen in maintenance?

I'm curious about this too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I also wonder if the scales take a few days to show a high calorie day?
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Yeah, I get that in a deficit too. But why do you think it would happen in maintenance?

I don’t know the answer to that. I mean, we know that there are other factors that influence water retention, like sodium intake. And other factors, like stress, can influence cortisol levels. And then just to make sure no one knows what’s going on, women have their own fluid retention issues with menstrual cycles.

So the shortest and most accurate answer is I don’t know.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I don’t know the answer to that. I mean, we know that there are other factors that influence water retention, like sodium intake. And other factors, like stress, can influence cortisol levels. And then just to make sure no one knows what’s going on, women have their own fluid retention issues with menstrual cycles.

So the shortest and most accurate answer is I don’t know.

lol. Me either.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Our bodies are a complex system - our weight isn't defined by a perfectly linear function of calories consumed over the short term. There are too many systems with too many short term fluctuations that are not a direct result of calories (as pointed out above, things like sodium content, TOM, etc)

Over the longer term, these fluctuations tend to flatten out, creating a much more linear correlation between calories and weight.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Some people eat this way on purpose it's called calorie cycling. It's supposed to help with breaking a plateau, losing fat or giving your metabolism a kick in the head..

More info here: http://www.builtdaily.com/power-of-calorie-cycling/

I inadvertently tried calorie cycling on Thanksgiving. I ate like a boss. I tried to count calories in my head, but lost track after the fourth glass of wine and second slice of pie. This "calorie cycling" thing did not work for me. I put on a couple of pounds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are a complex system - our weight isn't defined by a perfectly linear function of calories consumed over the short term. There are too many systems with too many short term fluctuations that are not a direct result of calories (as pointed out above, things like sodium content, TOM, etc)

Over the longer term, these fluctuations tend to flatten out, creating a much more linear correlation between calories and weight.

i was going to say pretty much this...
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    And I always hit my numbers over time and never worry about daily fluctuations. I just find it odd that I will consistently get a drop after a big day of eating. Just like a consistently get a gain with a big day of salt (especially if I'm also flying).

Since my weight is stable within a small range over time, I don't think it is the metabolism boost you're supposed to get from calorie cycling. It could be that needing to metabolize that much changes retained water - always the easiest way to dump weight.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

I was going to say the same. Never happens to me in maintenance. Only in a deficit.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    When I take a break from the gym (at least a week off) I ALWAYS lose several pounds. Then it comes back when I get back into my workout schedule. I assume that it's water weight that my muscles when recovering from lifting?