When should i stop losing weight?!

Options
Hi everyone!

Im a 23 year old 5ft3 female. When i started my weight loss journey my original goal weight was 55kg. Im now currently weigh 50.2kg.
My problem is im not sure when i need to stop losing weight as i still feel i have a long way to go! What made everyone decide to switch over to maintain rather then carry on losing? When did you or how did you realise it was time to stop losing?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    when you are happy with the way you look and feel. If you are not happy I suggest a deficit of only 250/day (0.5lb loss/week) and lift weights, this will have the most dramatic effect on your body composition (muscle vs. fat loss)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I stopped when I hit my fairly randomly chosen goal.
    Maintained for a while and then reassessed based on looks, energy, sports performance, health... (everything really!).

Think you should too from the very limited information you have given. There comes a time when weight can't, and shouldn't be, your only measure of success.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I stopped when I hit my fairly randomly chosen goal.
    Maintained for a while and then reassessed based on looks, energy, sports performance, health... (everything really!).

Think you should too from the very limited information you have given. There comes a time when weight can't, and shouldn't be, your only measure of success.

^This.

I achieved my goal about a year ago. Took a break and now I'm going back to lose a few more. You can always revisit later as your goals change.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    If my figures are correct your BMI is 19.5, which puts you toward the lower end of the normal range. So unless you're very small boned I'd say that now is a good time to switch over to maintenance. Many people continue to lose just a bit while they're figuring out how many calories works for maintenance.

Your statement that you feel like you still have a long way to go is rather worrisome given your BMI. Perhaps a healthier approach would be to start eating at a maintenance level and begin a weight lifting program?
  • Leanqueen01
    Leanqueen01 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help everyone, im currently on a 1200 calorie a day. MFP is suggesting switching to 1450 calories to maintain. What are your experiences when following the suggested maintaib calories from my MFP? Are they quite accurate?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    mazjubean wrote: »
    Thanks for all your help everyone, im currently on a 1200 calorie a day. MFP is suggesting switching to 1450 calories to maintain. What are your experiences when following the suggested maintaib calories from my MFP? Are they quite accurate?

it depends on how accurate the info you put in is. also, MFP's calorie targets are before exercise...if you exercise, you're going to maintain on more than 1450 calories. my guess is that you selected sedentary...are you really sedentary?
  • Leanqueen01
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

it depends on how accurate the info you put in is. also, MFP's calorie targets are before exercise...if you exercise, you're going to maintain on more than 1450 calories. my guess is that you selected sedentary...are you really sedentary?

My calories are hopefully quite accurate as i do weigh and measure everything out. I try and do cardio 4/5 times a week for atleast 30mins. I do have my activity level as sedentary as im an office worker so not genrally partically active and i don't count my exercise calories back as i have no accurate form of measuring it
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

My calories are hopefully quite accurate as i do weigh and measure everything out. I try and do cardio 4/5 times a week for atleast 30mins. I do have my activity level as sedentary as im an office worker so not genrally partically active and i don't count my exercise calories back as i have no accurate form of measuring it

you're going to have to account for exercise activity or you're just going to continue to lose weight
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

You are going to have to take your exercise into account or you won't be able to maintain.
    Try and lose the dieting mind-set.
    It's not that hard to find a reasonable estimate for cardio exercise.
  • dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I began the switch to maintenance when I got within ten pounds of my goal. I added 100 calories per day. A week later, if my weight decreased a pound or more, I added another 100. If it stayed the same or only decreased .5, I held at that calorie level another week.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Im a 23 year old 5ft3 female. When i started my weight loss journey my original goal weight was 55kg. Im now currently weigh 50.2kg.
    My problem is im not sure when i need to stop losing weight as i still feel i have a long way to go! What made everyone decide to switch over to maintain rather then carry on losing? When did you or how did you realise it was time to stop losing?

You are close to the lowest healthy BMI, and you had an average BMI when you started. Whatever you feel is "wrong" with your appearance, it is not your weight. Why do you think you have a long way to go? What is it you do not like?
  • Leanqueen01
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

You are close to the lowest healthy BMI, and you had an average BMI when you started. Whatever you feel is "wrong" with your appearance, it is not your weight. Why do you think you have a long way to go? What is it you do not like?

Hi! I think its to do with my expectations of automatically having a flat tummy etc when reaching a good weight for my height. After looking on various chats on MFP it seems i need to include some kind of weight training to give my body more definition
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Hi! I think its to do with my expectations of automatically having a flat tummy etc when reaching a good weight for my height. After looking on various chats on MFP it seems i need to include some kind of weight training to give my body more definition

Yep, sounds like it might be time for a body recomp. There is some really great info on MFP about it. Here is a good thread to start:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

And keep in mind that we are our own harshest critics. I'm sure you look great at the weight you are now! Also keep in mind that women naturally have more fat then men, and we also have uteruses which can cause our lower belly to pooch out a little (totally normal). Some women have a really hard time getting a totally flat stomach. It's not something to stress over :)