Gave up Coffee

Options

Replies

• Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    2 16oz cups at home with skim milk and a lot of equal. If I'm out and want a treat I'll get iced decaf coffee at Dunkin donuts, always flavored, always with cream. I can blow a good 260-350 calories + massive carbs on this, so it's a once in a while treat. I'd rather have the coffee than the donut ☕️
  • justsusie998
    justsusie998 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    All this coffee talk...& I want coffee NOW☕️
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I could never... I can't even type the words ! Lol !
    But in all seriousness, I just keep it low calorie. I won't Drink 5 DD cream and sugar large coffees per day but instead just have one small . the rest I will drink black or with a tiny bit of cream to keep the calories low. I occasionally treat myself to a high calorie one.
    I like to incorporate the things I love into my diet. For me, long term success depends on it. I couldn't go on forever without things like coffee and ice cream so instead I just make it work into my day. Portion control and moderation are key to long term success
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I was losing I just had two tablespoons of half and half and 2 sugar in the raw packets. When I wanted a second during the day I learned to like it black. From good coffee shops though.

When I was REALLY trying to cut I would put only protein powder in it, and not have breakfast.

Now I'm in a surplus and I will sometimes still have to cut the cream and sugar on my second of the day but I always have it in the morning.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    jackidoll wrote: »
    ...What are your experiences with/ without coffee

I try to avoid "experiences without coffee". I enjoy it and can't think of any good reason to give it up.

I start every morning with a cup (or two) of coffee with half & half; occasionally a teaspoon of Splenda if I'm in the mood for something sweet. I have a great protein shake recipe which uses coffee instead of milk or water, and I sometimes make one of those in the morning as my breakfast (it's fairly calorie dense but very nutritious). I'll sometimes have a cup midday or in the evening as well if the mood strikes me.

I gag on Starbuck's bitter, nasty, over-roasted coffee and their overpriced, high-calorie tutti-frutti latte frappe mochaccinos, so they're not an issue for me. Unfortunately we don't have a Dunkin Donuts anywhere near us - I absolutely love their coffee (don't drink the fancy coffee drinks there either, though)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    jackidoll wrote: »
    ...What are your experiences with/ without coffee

I try to avoid "experiences without coffee". I enjoy it and can't think of any good reason to give it up.

I start every morning with a cup (or two) of coffee with half & half; occasionally a teaspoon of Splenda if I'm in the mood for something sweet. I have a great protein shake recipe which uses coffee instead of milk or water, and I sometimes make one of those in the morning as my breakfast (it's fairly calorie dense but very nutritious). I'll sometimes have a cup midday or in the evening as well if the mood strikes me.

I gag on Starbuck's bitter, nasty, over-roasted coffee and their overpriced, high-calorie tutti-frutti latte frappe mochaccinos, so they're not an issue for me. Unfortunately we don't have a Dunkin Donuts anywhere near us - I absolutely love their coffee (don't drink the fancy coffee drinks there either, though)

Ugh! Dunkin' Donuts!! You are dead to me!!
  • loubsayre690
    loubsayre690 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use coffee as a pre workout for myself. Instead of creamer I like to use coconut oil. It'll keep your energy levels steady and it'll last longer! Well that's what it did for me at least.
  • sugar28proof
    sugar28proof Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Did you have an physical symptoms? I'm trying to decrease coffee mysel but I can't seem to stop my Starbucks addiction.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've never been a coffee drinker. My dh gave up coffee and switched to drinking teas a couple of years ago. We have a collection of different flavors in the house but he likes the rooibos teas most.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    I drink several cups of coffee per day - just coffee, water, small amount of skim milk, no sweetener, only about 20 calories each
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Without coffee, I'd lose my job lol. I use regular milk and artificial sweetener. None of those "coffee drinks" that are like a milkshake with tons of calories. l am hypothyroid and along with my RX I do tend to self medicate with caffeine. In some situations I have to take caffeine pills. I've basically just accepted it as any attempts to cut back result in extra fatigue and being generally useless lol.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I gave up coffee for 7 days...and those are not 7 days I would like to repeat!! I crave the taste and don't function well without it. I only put about 1/2 Tbsp of full fat coconut milk to 16 oz. coffee and no sugar. It is 53 calories a day for 2 generous travel mugs. I am well willing to allot for that!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking coffee since I was 12 and couldn't imagine ever giving it up. :#
  • ekruska802
    ekruska802 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 I gave up coffee for Lent and it was the absolute worst. Now I usually have a cup or 2 with a splash of milk. Once in a while I'll get a latte or a cappuccino as a treat but I don't tend to put anything in them. I've never had one of those milkshake-type coffee drinks from the chain places. Seems like they'd be really sweet which doesn't really appeal to me.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20's, I drank way too much coffee, to the point where I would get really tired and have awful headaches if I didn't have my 8-10 daily cups. I went cold turkey when I had a week's vacation and slept 18 hours a day for the first few days, then started getting my energy back. It took 2 weeks before I no longer felt the effects.

Now, I have 2 cups in the morning with a splash of half and half (I used to use fancy flavored creamers but stopped when I started losing weight) and no more, unless it is decaf, the rest of the day. I also drink only caffeine free sodas.

I like coffee, but I don't like the physical dependency I used to have.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Give up coffee? Good God, why???
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Well I'm the opposite of pretty well everyone here! I used to drink black coffee, several cups a day, enjoyed fancy coffees too, I really think I over drank it if that's even possible....but I loved it. One day I just felt like I had had enough coffee. I felt a little toxic. So I quit. I've not had a drop since! That was about 18 years ago!!! It was a little weird at first, and I got brutal headaches for 2-3 days but after that I felt so much better. I switched to drinking hot water-perfectly boiled hot water and will never go back to coffee, I still like the smell of fresh brewed coffee but don't miss the dependency or the toxicity.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Congrats on giving up coffee!

...more for me!
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I drink my coffee with low calorie creamer and splenda because life without coffee is very sad :(
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I drink my coffee with low calorie creamer and splenda because life without coffee is very sad :(

I love coffee too! I used to drink it with half and half but due to my diet changes and goals I know drink it with fat free half and half or almond milk. Big change in taste but you got to do what you got to do !
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I went black and never looked back. I enjoy it more now that I am getting the coffee in its original glory, too.