Preparing separate meals for you and your family difficulty

Options
Morning MFP . I'm starting back up with a 6 month set back and a 15lb weight gain on top of what I was trying to lose. I have done MFP before with success... but gained it all back because I went in it too hard and burned myself out. I was wondering if there was any tips and tricks for having to make meals for your family that doesn't correlate with your diet? I do not have any discipline at all. My family loves hearty meals and my husband refuses to do any changes.... which leaves me to eat something that is less appetizing than what they are having for the night. I'm desperate and need help!!!!! Please help!

Replies

• ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help. I accommodate allergies and religious restrictions, but otherwise, you eat what I cook or you go hungry. Or you can cook/clean it yourself. I'm not locking the fridge and disconnecting the stove, but I'm not running a restaurant either. "Eat it or don't" is my motto.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't do separate meals, for the most part. I portion mine out to stay on track. I also don't tend to cook super high calorie meals, for the most part. I already have cut most rice and pasta because my husband cuts those things out. We do eat a lot of the same things over and over, but it works for us. Plus, I'm the one cooking, so if they want something else, they can cook! ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    We don't eat separate meals. I may eat less of one dish and he may eat more of it but we all eat the same thing. What are you trying to eat and what do they want to eat?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    When I make meal plans I sit with the family to do it.
    This week we did shepherd's pie, two kinds of broiled chicken wings, quesadillas, sofrito chicken zucchini boats, bbq jalapeno chicken meatballs. Next week we have sausage/zucchini lasagna, Thai peanut chicken, burgers and fries.

I may make some swaps here and there, but these are all pretty much in the 300-400 calorie range (some even lower).
  • vickyhopkins93
    vickyhopkins93 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I was you I would still eat whatever you make but swap the carb so say your partners having white potato have sweet potato, or if there having white rice make brown rice, otherwise you'll end up wanting to indulge in whatever there eating anyway learnt from experience hope this helps slightly x
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    i'm the cook in my home...people eat what i cook or they go hungry.

also, i don't really believe in the notion of "diet food"...i eat food in quantities that are appropriate for me...my wife eats food in quantities that are appropriate for her.

generally dinner is some kind of protein, a grain or starch, and a veg unless i'm doing a soup or stew. that can be as hearty or non hearty as you like depending on portions.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I do the cooking, therefore they eat what I make. And yes, I'm mostly selfish about it, but I'm not on any crazy diet where I restrict food groups or make weird diet-y stuff. It's just regular food. We eat a lot of chicken (prepared in different ways), steak, fish, paired with rice and vegetables. Pizza night once a week. Sometimes we have breakfast for dinner. They are welcome to make their own food if they don't like what I make.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Smaller portions of what they are having and load up on the veggies. Last night I made turkey burgers - my husband had cheese on his along with tater tots and broccoli (one of the few veggies he will eat). Mine was plain with squash and broccoli - I cooked the squash at the same time I cooked the tots.

If I'm making a casserole or something similar, I just take a smaller portion and fill up my plate with whatever veggies I want.

It takes a little practice but you can do it.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Same as many others... I don't make separate meals, I'm just careful about my portion sizes and add either a large veggie salad or steamed veggies while reducing the potatoes/rice for myself.

I plan some of the most "dangerous" meals for nights when I know I will not be home to eat so I won't be tempted. (For example, Tuesday night is taco night at our house, but I have a yoga class from 6:30 until 8:00 so I usually just have yogurt and fruit beforehand.)
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I make the 1 meal and eat a smaller portion, or just not eat the starch I make. I also don't look at any food as "off limits".
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I do 100% of the cooking. I don't make different meals.

I cook super simply though....a protein and a veggie for each meal. That's it.
  • rlgreen2
    rlgreen2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sorry I can't help. Dinner was the one meal I never changed because it's the one my husband and I eat together. I just adjusted my portion sizes for dinner and continued to eat the same things. I eat breakfast alone and my lunch at work. Those are the meals I made most of my changes to because they only affect me. Good luck!

This is the same for me for the most part, although sometimes I will make an easy modification such as having a baked potato when husband and kids are having fries, or add a salad or extra veggie so that I eat less of the high calorie stuff. Adjusting portion sizes (and not eating off the kids' plates) is key!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    My man is a foot taller than me so naturally eats more. I take less in general and proportionally more veggies and less starch.

So if you were to have a hearty meal like beef stew, you could take a smaller portion plus 100 grams of broccoli or your favorite high volume, low calorie veg.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I took a picture of hubby and my dinner this week, a pasta dish with salad on the side. The only difference between our two meals was the portion size. He had more pasta, I had more salad. But I also pumped mine up with parmesan and sunflower seeds.

We don't eat separately, we just eat differently.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I eat what my wife makes for dinner and adjust portions accordingly.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    We eat the same things, I just measure out my portions. Sometimes my husband will add something else (like bread or cheese) since he needs more calories than I do. But our menu hasn't really changed much.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    If my nutritional needs align with my wife's we eat the same meal. If not, I cook my own.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Healthy food can be hearty
    look together and find recipes you both can enjoy
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    We just make "regular" dinner for the family. But, it's food that fits into my diet (i.e. there's vegetables, protein, etc) and then I control the portions for myself. After all, shouldn't the kids be learning to eat those same kinds of healthy dinners?

And yes, sometimes, we do have less healthful meals, but not too often. And I fit them into my week.

It also helps that I tend to eat smaller breakfast and lunch so I have more calories left for dinner.
  • uaeevo
    uaeevo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue as my wife don't want to follow my diet plan and she's hesitating to make two separate meals for us as she's fit and I'm over weight.

The best thing to do is to eat the same food but smaller portion. Wish me luck.