What's your Christmas menu?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
We're doing it at our place, but we're only having 3 people over. So we want it to be nice, but not a ton of food... I was thinking a lamb roast with roasted potatoes, my husband wants to make a banoffee pie for dessert (fine by me - I don't like banana cakes or pies, so that's calories I don't have to worry about). I'm not too sure about what other side we can have though (veggies, obviously, but what?).

I might make croissants too, but mostly for brunch, so we'll just have the leftovers for dinner. Last year I made a chestnut cream Yule log that was amazing but hubby's dead set on his pie, so I'm not making an extra dessert for only 5 people. A bit bummed about it though.

So, just looking for inspiration!

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Mimosas and lots of them.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    We're doing Christmas with my family this year and our Christmas dinner is a pretty strict tradition. Here's the menu we've been having since I was a kid:

- Ham
    - Fried Turkey
    - Baked Sausage Dressing
    - Corn Pudding
    - Sweet Potato and Cranberry Casserole
    - Broccoli with Cheese Sauce
    - Mashed Potatoes

I'm going to make this Kale Salad with Parmesan, Pine Nuts, and Pomegranate since its delicious, festive, and I can make it the day before.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Ham
    Mac n cheese
    Red hot sweet potatoes
    green beans

Cherry or apple pie
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve- cheeseburgers on homemade pretzel rolls, baked french fries, cranberry sauce
    Christmas day- turkey, spinach, potatoes, fruit salad, gravy, rolls, gingerbread pudding

It is only for 3 people but I'm counting on leftovers to supply future meals.
    I may make cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Mimosas and lots of them.

Yeah, pretty much. I didn't get my Thanksgiving mimosas so I'm making it up for it come Christmas. I don't really care about the food.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    prime rib roast, roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus...lots of wine and probably a few scotches.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I made these brussel sprouts at Thanksgiving and everyone devoured them, even those claiming to not like brussel sprouts. They are a favorite of my husband's and he is one of those " brussel sprout haters". Shredding them completely changes the flavor.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/11/sauteed-brussels-sprouts-with-pancetta.html
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Lots of champagne. This is our first year with no Christmas Eve plans (not even my child will be home!) I have no idea what we're doing. The following day I've invited my parents over for appetizers and then we'll leave to go to my in-laws. I'll probably do a stuffed mini pepper or a stuffed mushroom and some kind of meatball and I bet my husband will smoke some chicken wings. My parents will probably bring over a few things and they are pretty health-conscious. The following day I'm traveling to my brother's house and staying overnight. He's a very healthy vegetarian, but incorporates a lot of grains and I can't eat them all. We'll see how that goes.

I picture a lot of champagne and very little food over those 2 days.
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My husband is Italian and his family does the 7 fishes for Christmas Eve but, since I'm hosting with my family, we will have lots of shrimp and lobster. Christmas Day is lasagne and zucchini lasagne, filet mignon roast, mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower and roasted vegetables.
  • QoLmatters
    QoLmatters Posts: 708 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It gets pretty hot here in Australia and half my family won't eat seafood while the other half won't eat turkey or ham so my menu plan to satisfy all is
    Grilled Prawns, Barbecued Thai flavored Calamari rings and Sweet chilli Baby Octopus,
    Cold meat Platter (ham, salamis, chicken etc) and a small Roasted Turkey roll, cranberry sauce
    served with various salad choices & Bread rolls.
    Dessert is a choice of Christmas Pudding and custard or Pavlova shells filled with fresh fruits and cream (light).
  • Runagain_4
    Runagain_4 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    For Canadian Thanksgiving this year it was just my husband, my 10-year-old and me, and it was a working day where we live. So we didn't have time to make a huge dinner but still wanted to capture traditional flavours. We actually managed to make it pretty healthy: we had boneless, skinless chicken breast, mashed potatoes, a thin gravy, homemade cranberry sauce and asparagus. I think I actually came in under daily allotted calories! Christmas will likely be the same, except we'll replace the chicken with a baked turkey and I'll throw in some stuffing. Oh, and lots of champagne :smiley:
  • lalangela
    lalangela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    This year we are having lasagna with homemade noodles, salad, french bread and lots of dessert, wine and booze!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    We do a spiral ham with mashed potatoes, some veggies and rolls. It's just me, my husband and two kids so I like quick and easy, then we take the leftover ham up north with us when we go visit family through the new year. The house is usually such a mess that morning, the last thing I want to do is cook and clean a big dinner.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'm in England and I cook for 12 people!
    Starters
    Ham and pea soup with garlic bread
    Salmon mousse stack with multigrain crackers
    Bacon and egg english muffin

Main
    Turkey, gammon and beef
    Sausages wrapped in bacon
    Yorkshire puddings
    Cranberry and walnut stuffing
    Sausage meat & sage stuffing
    Honey roasted parsnips
    Bacon fried Brussels sprouts
    Mashed swede with salted butter
    Goose fat roasted potatoes
    Mashed potatoes with salted butter
    Gravy
    Apple sauce
    Mint sauce

Desserts
    Sweet mince pies
    Lemon cheese cake
    Chocolate bomb
    Rum and raisin double cream
    Single cream
    Vanilla ice cream

• Aerocrazd
    Aerocrazd Posts: 87 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    On Christmas Eve we have a hot oil fondue with cubed sirloin tip roast marinated (for 2 days) in soy, garlic and a Merlot. Onions and mushrooms are also cooked in the fondue pots. Then we have baked potatoes and a salad with rolls. The dessert is banana's foster. We have been having this dinner since I was born. Over 45 years. Its the only time we have it is Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning we have ham thingies which are english muffins with butter and left over ham from Thanksgiving with a pineapple slice and topped with a slice of cheese. Baked in the oven until the cheese melts. After typing all that I am ready for Christmas Eve!!!!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Pickled herring, mushroom soup, pierogi, fish, potato salad, and lots and lots of booze. Traditional Polish Wigilia. :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    We do a spiral ham with mashed potatoes, some veggies and rolls. It's just me, my husband and two kids so I like quick and easy, then we take the leftover ham up north with us when we go visit family through the new year. The house is usually such a mess that morning, the last thing I want to do is cook and clean a big dinner.

Lol yeah. I need something easy, the house is going to be a huge mess for sure. Actually rethinking the croissant idea because Christmas morning is a bit crazy and I'm not sure I'll find the time to take care of those too... Will probably just buy some rolls or something.

Thinking those sauteed Brussel sprouts look good as a side though, and I can be extra lazy and just buy the shaved bags from Trader Joe's...
    I'm in England and I cook for 12 people!
    Starters
    Ham and pea soup with garlic bread
    Salmon mousse stack with multigrain crackers
    Bacon and egg english muffin

Main
    Turkey, gammon and beef
    Sausages wrapped in bacon
    Yorkshire puddings
    Cranberry and walnut stuffing
    Sausage meat & sage stuffing
    Honey roasted parsnips
    Bacon fried Brussels sprouts
    Mashed swede with salted butter
    Goose fat roasted potatoes
    Mashed potatoes with salted butter
    Gravy
    Apple sauce
    Mint sauce

Desserts
    Sweet mince pies
    Lemon cheese cake
    Chocolate bomb
    Rum and raisin double cream
    Single cream
    Vanilla ice cream

I am impressed.

For Christmas Eve we always go to friends who have a buffet, this year the theme is Mexican food, so I probably won't go as overboard as last year (theme was breakfast and let's say that I really like French toast).
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Pickled herring, mushroom soup, pierogi, fish, potato salad, and lots and lots of booze. Traditional Polish Wigilia. :)

Yes Wigilia is mainly vegetarian at my house since my dad doesn't like fish and we have cut down substantially on the booze due to health concerns.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    prime rib roast, roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus...lots of wine and probably a few scotches.

Ditto! Although I'll probably do scalloped potatoes and replace the wine with local craft beer and homemade light Margaritas.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Whatever I want. Have a great day.