How should a ectomorph eat

Options
Movemoreguy22
Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
5,7 floating around 140-145pounds small framed male been gymming for years and possibly the slowest muscle gain ever... currently doing the stronglift 5x5 really enjoying it been throwing some pull ups in aswell on the deadlift day..
Question is what we meant to eat..we eat the oats,the peanut butters, the nuts, wholemilk the bagels,rices,pastas, red meats, cheeses, bananas.. I try not to eat to much veg cos it wastes room but I think I get more tired trying the eat then actual working out or a proper physical job, tried the gomad challenge it wss impossible to go for a *kitten*, felt like I was giving birth. I no eat more but it gets u down standing on the scales just to be disappointed..

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, you should realize that somatotype are a myth.

Second, you just have to eat more calories. How many calories are you eating now? It's possible you need to add more calorie dense foods (avocado, oils - olive, coconut, etc... , nuts or nut butters, ice cream, protein shakes mixed in milk, etc...).

And you should still eat veggies as it's good for GI health.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    You're not an ectomorph, nobody is...
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    You can eat anything you want. Keep your protein levels high (there is plenty of info on the forums about amounts), enough to allow for muscle repair and growth, make sure you get adequate fats in your diet too. Don't avoid veggies, they provide you needed vitamins and minerals.

If you aren't consuming enough to gain weight weight your muscle gains will be super sllloooooooooww lol. Your body will adapt to the workload you are giving it over a long period of time but if it doesn't have much free resources it will take way ages to get anywhere (growth will only happen on the occasions where there are free resources).

GOMAD will give you over 2900 calories alone. It's far from impossible, I've been doing it for months. Try to get yourself on to a balanced diet, get a good variation of foods. Start eating early in the morning and do it whether you feel like it or not. The same goes for lunch and dinner. Over time your body will get used to it. No excuses, eat, eat eat lol. Log everything and if you find you aren't getting enough calories with your diet alone, then bump up the calories with whole milk, nut butters, nuts etc.

It's amazing what will bump up your calorie count. One pack of pistachios, about 600 calories. Two deep filled christmas mince pies, 500 calories. Or throw a shake together, eg...

30g Vanilla flavoured Whey Protein Powder = 131 calories
    50g Ultra Fine Scottish Oats = 180 calories
    450ml Whole Milk = 292
    125g Peanut Butter = 722 calories
    Total = 1325 calories (take less than ten minutes to drink)

The main thing is consistency, you have to keep your numbers up every day, without fail :smile:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Everything @psulemon said. Calorie dense foods will get the needed calories in. Vegetables are still a good idea. Maybe use butter, cream cheese, or peanut butter with them (depending on the type of vegetable). Make sure you're getting the right amount of protein and fats, then eat whatever you like to fill the calories.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Well I'm eating 4700 roughly give or take ain't been keeping up with logging in, but i no the meal plan i made so its always the same.....thing with milk makes me constipated and like I said things like I'm giving birth haha... I though mince pies are bad for ya...
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Well I'm eating 4700 roughly give or take ain't been keeping up with logging in, but i no the meal plan i made so its always the same.....thing with milk makes me constipated and like I said things like I'm giving birth haha... I though mince pies are bad for ya...

Keep your water intake up. Why would mince pies be bad for you? I wouldn't recommend eating 30 of them a day right enough lol
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    I thought they were but im gonna eat loads now since u said that love them bad boys...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    First, you should realize that somatotype are a myth.

Second, you just have to eat more calories. How many calories are you eating now? It's possible you need to add more calorie dense foods (avocado, oils - olive, coconut, etc... , nuts or nut butters, ice cream, protein shakes mixed in milk, etc...).

And you should still eat veggies as it's good for GI health.

this

end thread/
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Somatypes fall largely under the human perception fallacy known as "pareidolia."

6c8.png
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    cute baby
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    That was 3 years ago.. I try get a pic what he looks like now..
  • 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Have you tried lactose free milk? I had to switch as I could not tolerate regular milk anymore. Little more $$ but no ill effects ;-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height, but weigh 200+lbs. If I was eating 4700, there would be some weight gain. Even if I was your age, so I'd actually log to find out if you really are eating 4700.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• 883xlsportster
    883xlsportster Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Somatypes fall largely under the human perception fallacy known as "pareidolia."
    Great post. I almost had myself labeled as such minus the long limbs ;-)