Help me quit my job?

Options
brb2008
brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
I work as a nanny and do side babysitting jobs to stay in touch with past families and make money on the side. The family I have been sitting for the longest was the first I ever worked for... Their oldest is now well into elementary school and frankly he is a jerk. He's hurtful, inappropriate behavior (such as whipping his penis out every chance he gets, making everyone in the world uncomfortable). His parents manage to control him but I can't and he knows it. My skills lie in dealing with preschoolers- I just get worn out by the arguing. It's totally not worth the stress for me and of course they will be able to find a new sitter.

Im considering saying that I'm no longer taking side work, so the children aren't a part of the equation. But they sort of know, they are always making passive comments to the kids like "you know B doesn't HAVE to come over here you boys be nice and mind your manners"... So I am sorta worried if I go for that idea, she'll ask if it's about the kids. It's also a money issue. I know they're not doing great so I don't ask for more but I have another family with similarly aged children and I make $5 more per hour with them. Not that money would make the abuse worth it, but it's certainly not making me want to keep on trying.

Any parents out there have advice for me? They're a good group just not how I want to spend my free time. This is coming up now because she's just asked me to do a weekend over night so they can get away and my guts started churning just thinking about it!! Help please? I want to preserve the working relationship so I can continue to have a good reference from them. 10 years of seeing me work is invaluable to getting new positions!

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Be truthful. The kid has a problem and his parents should be aware of it.
  • SithnessQueen
    SithnessQueen Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    As a nanny myself I know how hard t is to leave a family. You create this unexplainable bond with them. And it makes it hard to leave. You feel guilty to "abandon" them. BUT also as a nanny you have to love your work environment. If you aren't happy, the house will go to chaos. They say if momma ain't happy no one is happy.. Well that's true for the nanny as well.

I think if it's a stressful environment and you aren't 100% happy, just let them know. Be upfront. Your safety and happiness is far more important to be honest!

Good luck doll!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Be truthful. The kid has a problem and his parents should be aware of it.

Agreed. Let them know that you're not going to be available because you were happy to work for them before it was causing you anxiety, but now it isn't worth the angst. If people don't make parents of kids like that aware that there is a problem, the kids grow up to be douchenozzles.
  • jpaulsims
    jpaulsims Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If my kids were acting like that with someone I would absolutely want to know and would completely understand if the situation had become bad enough that a sitter no longer wanted to be a part of it.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    jpaulsims wrote: »
    If my kids were acting like that with someone I would absolutely want to know and would completely understand if the situation had become bad enough that a sitter no longer wanted to be a part of it.

They do know, which is the tough part. But they don't see it the same way I do. Those are their kids after all and they see things through lovey mommy/daddy eyes. I think the kids see me as an equal and play mate, not a point of authority and frankly I can't "re-parent" the kids in 3-4 hour chunks on date night.

I think I just have to let go of the guilt and say what I need to say.