Options
2»

Replies

• BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    wallingf wrote: »
    BuddhaB0y wrote: »
    Here in Canada synthroid is prescribed for both overactive and under active thyroids.

Sadly I have asked about armour and a Canada brand here and all the docs look at me like I'm crazy and have no idea what I'm taking about. They are firmly in camp synthroid.

I've had terrible muscle cramps and weakness since going on it, yet they can't pin it down to the synthroid. I haven't been able to find an endocrinologist here willing to get down off their high horse long enough to consider alternatives.

Um.....no. Synthroid is a man- made thyroid hormone they give people who do not produce enough on their own (hypos). They do NOT give it to people who produce too much (hyper).

What they might do if you are hyper, is "kill off you thyroid" with radioactive iodine or remove it via surgery. This would then make you hypo....and THEN put you on synthroid.

Let's hope this is what your doctor is doing/has done...because if you are truly hyper right now and on synthroid....that's bad. Google it...

Losing while clinically hypo is near impossible. Losing once your under control can be difficult at times....but that's true anyway. I still find most of my plateaus and off weeks are more related to loosening my calories than anything. Not all....But most. I truly believe I have to eat 100-200 calories/day less than the non-hypo but in the big scheme of things, that's trivial.

I also truly believe not all hypos are created equal, so your mileage may vary :-P

Are you an endocrinologist? Because both of mine say they prescribe synthroid for both hypo and hyperthyroidism.

I also have no thyroid now as I had a massive goiter covering my entire throat from in my chest cavity up and around my ears.

I also understand that synthroid is synthetic and armour is the naturally dessicated pig hormone.

Anyway it's pointless to argue.
  • eeede
    eeede Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help everyone. I have hypothyroid. I have blood test today so i Hope it helps to find out more. My endocrinologist didndt tell me much it was the first appointement.
    Ill give you the news.
  • eeede
    eeede Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Also i have lost 70lbs but with lot of dedication and sports. I still have the same amount to lose.
    I don't have any medication right now.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Here in Canada synthroid is prescribed for both overactive and under active thyroids.

Sadly I have asked about armour and a Canada brand here and all the docs look at me like I'm crazy and have no idea what I'm taking about. They are firmly in camp synthroid.

I've had terrible muscle cramps and weakness since going on it, yet they can't pin it down to the synthroid. I haven't been able to find an endocrinologist here willing to get down off their high horse long enough to consider alternatives.

Synthroid is usually used to treat hyperthyroid patients only after killing off part of their thyroid, rendering them hypo as it's almost impossible for them to do just the right amount of damage. And yes, I am also in Canada.
  • TheopolisAmbroiseIII
    Options

Synthroid is usually used to treat hyperthyroid patients only after killing off part of their thyroid, rendering them hypo as it's almost impossible for them to do just the right amount of damage. And yes, I am also in Canada.

This. It's used to treat hyperthyroid because the normal solution to hyper is to either shut down or surgically remove the thyroid gland entirely and put the patient on sythroid as a replacement.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The patient is no longer hyperthyroid at that point though they are treating hypothyroidism. It's not used to treat an overactive thyroid.
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Can you ask them about Cytomel? Ask them for 5 mcg once a day they may be OK with that if you insist. So sorry you are dealing with this.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    The patient is no longer hyperthyroid at that point though they are treating hypothyroidism. It's not used to treat an overactive thyroid.

Absolutely agree, that was what I was getting at.
  • BuddhaB0y
    BuddhaB0y Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to have to fight with my endo to even get him to consider it.