Is going over on protein actually going to hurt me?

Options
Diet wise I mean, what negative effect does it have? I know going over on salt, sugar and fat is bad but protein doesn't seem like a big deal?

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think to go over on protein it means eating 250-300g a day.

I believe it can strain your liver or kidneys and cause constipation.

I assume your talking about eating less than 180g which I believe is fine.

Some people see protein and fat macros as minimums not maximums.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yeah I mean on the macro bit, 76 is my daily goal.
  • bgaunya
    bgaunya Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    76 is not that much.
  • SteveMFP123
    edited December 2015
    Options
    bgaunya wrote: »
    76 is not that much.

OK thanks, so going over by 10 - 15 isn't a big deal? At what point would I need to worry?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    umm..your goal is 76 grams? My goal should be around 100-110 as a 130 lb female and I often eat 160g per day. I'm still alive.

Are you sure your goal is correct?
  • SteveMFP123
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    umm..your goal is 76 grams? My goal should be around 100-110 as a 130 lb female and I often eat 160g per day. I'm still alive.

I let MFP do it for me guided so it should be. I'm 6ft 3 / 213lbs currently. I started at 300+ and I want to get down to 200lbs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    bgaunya wrote: »
    76 is not that much.

OK thanks, so going over by 10 - 15 isn't a big deal? At what point would I need to worry?

Probably beneficial to go over that goal. There's some evidence of added protein being beneficial for preserving muscle mass for someone working out and losing weight up to about .65-.85 g/lb (of a healthy bodyweight, so use goal if overweight).

I'm only 5'3 and aim for at least around 100 grams.

Beyond that for a healthy person it's not detrimental to go over some (I often eat 120 g, which is well over what I need) but you don't want to go way, way over.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I let MFP do it for me guided so it should be. I'm 6ft 3 / 213lbs currently. I started at 300+ and I want to get down to 200lbs.

The mfp goal is pretty low..I would shoot for .65 to .85 grams of protein per pound of body weight, which equates to about 25%, usually ..
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You can set up your own goals for protein. MFP goes by the FDA's requirements which are very low. I would strive to pass what they recommend.