Is there a way to account for post baby and breast feeding?

Hi, mfp must think I'm the laziest going, huge increase in weight and halt of exercise- but I just had a baby
Is there any way to account for that so the figures allow for a less drastic calorie hit, and also the 'exercise' of breast feeding rather than adding it in as a custom exercise?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    You need around 500 calories more then what fitness pal recommend for your fitness level. Depending on your wieght and goals usually Below 1800 is not recommended for breastfeeding.
    Asking your doctor of course that would be the best.
  • klala042
    klala042 Posts: 175 Member
    I just add it as an exercise everyday and have it count as 500 calories. I've found that my water intake has a bigger effect on my supply than anything else. I drink at least a gallon of water a day (usually 1.5 gal).
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    So, I think the short answer is no, mfp has nothing to deal with breastfeeding specifically and you have to find a work around through either altering your goals to match, or add it in as an 'exercise.'
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    On some apps and the website you can search breastfeeding in the food diary and you will get a negative calorie entry - so it gives you more calories when you log it.
    It does not work any longer on my MFP app (I reported it in January and they were aware. It was removed by accident)..5

Instead, I set my calorie goal to maintain and logged exercise. That would leave me at about a 500 calorie deficit from breastfeeding.
    Once he was eating solids and demand went down I switched to a .5 lb a week goal which would be -250 calories plus about -300 for nursing leaving me at about a 500 calorie deficit.

Or you can make your own goal.

Or log it as exercise.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    You can add "breastfeeding" as a food, and it should be a negative number.