Going to New Orleans for short getaway and I'm worried about what to eat!

Options
Seriously though... there's a lot of restaurants to choose from. Any recommended restaurants to hit? I'll be staying just outside the French Quarter.

Not a fan of high end fancy places with small portions, and would much prefer a Diners, Drive-In's, and Dives style of place with larger portions, less expensive, etc.

I've seen Commander's Palace mentioned a handful of times, as well as Katie's (If I can make it over there).

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I might be making a quick trip to New Orleans for Valentines day. I've never been there. Interested to hear what people say.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    There's a place on the river-side of Decatuer st, just down from the intersection with Esplanade that is a cafe style place with outdoor seating and (often) live jazz, that does a Muffaletta (amazing delimeat, cheese and olive salad roll thing) to die for and a kick butt bloody mary. They also do beignets, and have a good range on the menu. They're cheap and cheerful and delicious!

There's also a Po'Boy store on the river-side of Bourbon st, down towards the Esplanade St end (not up in the crazy pub/bar end, more the residential end) which is really, really good and also cheap.

Trust me, you won't be lost for amazing, cheap food in NOLA. It's my favourite place on earth :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    There's a place on the river-side of Decatuer st, just down from the intersection with Esplanade that is a cafe style place with outdoor seating and (often) live jazz, that does a Muffaletta (amazing delimeat, cheese and olive salad roll thing) to die for and a kick butt bloody mary. They also do beignets, and have a good range on the menu. They're cheap and cheerful and delicious!

There's also a Po'Boy store on the river-side of Bourbon st, down towards the Esplanade St end (not up in the crazy pub/bar end, more the residential end) which is really, really good and also cheap.

Trust me, you won't be lost for amazing, cheap food in NOLA. It's my favourite place on earth :)

Gracias. My gf will love the Muffaletta idea.

I think I also saw Johnny Po Boys mentioned somewhere... maybe on the Food Network App
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I still dream of muffalettas, 15 years after visiting!
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I was there in April. You can skip Commanders. I find it stuffy. Hit KPaul's instead if you must visit one of the 'institutions'
    I always look for shrimp & grits, as that's my favorite. And a fried green tomato po' boy. And I always leave NOLA with a tightly wrapped muffaleta to eat when I get home & cry a little...
    The happy hour at Domenica's in uptown is fab. Wood fired pizzas half off & beautiful drinks.
    Adolfo's above Frenchman street is a favorite too. Anything in ocean sauce!! And I love the music I encounter over here.
    If you get a chance chase down taceaux loceaux's truck. They post their locations on FB. Our schedules didn't connect, but their tacos look righteous. And they are often slinging tacos where the music will be good.
    If you dance and walk enough in NOLA you can eat and drink just about anything. Consider it a fitness challenge.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Across from the French Market is the ORIGINAL muffaletta shop in New Orleans. I can't think of the name but you have to eat one there!! Absolutely worth every calorie.
    Please don't restrict yourself while you are there. It is not the place to try to stick to your "diet"...just indulge and do a lot of walking. You'll be disappointed if you don't enjoy everything the city has to offer.
    Enjoy!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    I was there in April. You can skip Commanders. I find it stuffy. Hit KPaul's instead if you must visit one of the 'institutions'
    I always look for shrimp & grits, as that's my favorite. And a fried green tomato po' boy. And I always leave NOLA with a tightly wrapped muffaleta to eat when I get home & cry a little...
    The happy hour at Domenica's in uptown is fab. Wood fired pizzas half off & beautiful drinks.
    Adolfo's above Frenchman street is a favorite too. Anything in ocean sauce!! And I love the music I encounter over here.
    If you get a chance chase down taceaux loceaux's truck. They post their locations on FB. Our schedules didn't connect, but their tacos look righteous. And they are often slinging tacos where the music will be good.
    If you dance and walk enough in NOLA you can eat and drink just about anything. Consider it a fitness challenge.

I agree! My daughter went to Tulane (and worked at Domenica) and now is in med school there and throughout the years we've been to MANY different places. I would also recommend Borgne, Peche, Shaya, Jacques Imo's and Boucherie. If you want a fancy dinner, one of my favorites is GW Fins. If you're looking for breakfast ideas, Surrey's, Elizabeth's and Ruby Slippers. While there, make sure you go to Frenchman, great local. If you have any questions, ask away. It is my favorite city.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it would be diners 'n drives-y enough for your but Gumbo Shop on Saint Peter Street is good.
  • kes840
    kes840 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think you have to work at it to get a bad meal in New Orleans. Now paying too much for it, that's easy! Have a wonderful time.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    You have to go to Cafe Beignet. Best coffee and Beignets ever. What's a Beignet? I don't know. Some kind of donut pastry thing but it's freaking awesome.

I need to go back. What an awesome city. Honestly, with a trip like that, just enjoy the sights and tastes! I would!
  • stinkeye111
    stinkeye111 Posts: 13 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    NOLA is my favorite place on earth, too! I have visited at least 25 times-and still haven't eaten in every place! When I first started going there---I pretty much stuck to the French Quarter ---so in the FQ--- "KPaul's " has never disappointed me! Bayonna is perfect for a fancy lunch or dinner---fancy but not too stuffy. "Eat" is a really good, friendly, casual place -- http://eatnola.com/ -- Breakfast is amazing at "Stanley". "Acme Oyster House" is great for beer and oysters. "Clover Grill" has it all- http://www.clovergrill.com/ --it's open 24/7, full of characters (the staff included) and has the best omelette's ever---try the bleu cheese. Of course---go to Cafe Dumonde---also open 24/7. They serve coffee and beignets (deep-fried dough covered in powdered sugar)---that's it---great people watching spot, too. Leave room in your suitcase to bring home a muffaletta from Central Grocery--they have a vegetarian one. too. Café Maspero also has a regular and vegetarian muffaletta---seved hot---yum! http://www.cafemaspero.com/ "Dookie Chase" - just outside the FQ has a great lunch buffet. For a po-boy ---go to "Domilise"--http://www.domilisespoboys.com/ ----it's worth the cab ride--for the sandwich and the divey--hole in the wall---middle of nowhere atmosphere---trust me. Although --KPaul's muffaletta on their lunch menu---is a close second. Also, take a cab to Liuzzas by the Track---http://liuzzasnola.com/ ---a bar that serves the best BBQ shrimp po boy!!! Don't forget to get a Hurricane" to go" at Pat O'Brien's and get on line to see some great music---up close, no frills--down the block at Preservation Hall. And, if you can catch Big Al Carson at the Funky Pirate on Bourbon "--do it!!! Go to New Orleans---walk--eat--drink--enjoy yourself!! It's the Big Easy-- the city that care forgot!! Laissez les bons temps rouler " xo
  • scolaris
    Options
    Lotta love for that city concentrated right here. It's like nothing else. Magic!
  • scolaris
    Options
    I'm a Santa Barbara CA native and my husband is a San Francisco native. We consider ourselves authorities on magical cities. LOL
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Cafe du Monde, Acme Oyster House, and Pat O'Briens are touristy but live up to the hype, in my opinion.

I really like Red Fish Grill on Bourbon Street (but up toward the quieter edge of Bourbon, closer to Canal street) for a good seafood dinner that isn't crazy expensive. It's a Brennan family restaurant (like Commanders and many others) but I always thought it was better food and less crowded since it isn't as well known.

http://www.redfishgrill.com/

Have a blast - I love New Orleans and haven't been in years!!!
  • scolaris
    Options
    Oh... and I had an amazing candlelit breakfast at Red Gravy in uptown: housemade sausage sugo over polenta. It was such a romantic little place.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Mr B's Bistro is the bomb...a tad high end but great food..is located in the french quarter about a block from Bourbon street I think ...

Oh, and you have to go to Dragos and get the chargrilled oysters best ever..!!!!

and cafe du monde go get beignets

three sisters brunch is good but expensive...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest going to frenchman street which is off the beaten path from french quarter/bourbon
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Definitely bookmarking this thread :).
  • stinkeye111
    Options
    Yes---I forgot about Redfish Grill---excellent !!! Also---take a long walk in the morning to Cake Café for a casual, relaxed breakfast or lunch in a beautiful neighborhood: http://www.nolacakes.com/menu.php
  • stinkeye111
    Options
    My friend--who live there--love Mr. B's, too---I'll get there next time!