Has anyone ever experienced this?

Options
Miss_Julie_Marie
Miss_Julie_Marie Posts: 49 Member
edited December 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been going to LA fitness since August. At first I was intimidated in the free weights section but have slowly gained my footing. Everyone has always been very friendly and even helpful if needed. Recently, I moved from Seattle to Lynnwood and so I switched to an LA fitness in Lynnwood. I've been going for a few weeks now and everything had been great so far. It seems to be less crowded and has more equipment. I had been loving it until tonight...

I was just about done with my stronglifts 5 x 5 lifting program when I was approached by the manager of the personal trainers. He asked if I wanted to up my workouts and really make a difference in my build. I was curious as to what he wanted to show me and so I followed him to the personal training area. He put me through some high-intensity interval training and told me that my heavy lifting was all wrong. He told me that I wasn't going to achieve my goals by lifting weights and then I need to focus smaller. He said that I should be doing an hour of cardio a day instead. He said that most people come to the gym and just throw around weights with no plan. He said that they go through the motions but don't really want to feel the pain, as if that was me. I was hurt and confused and more down on myself than I had ever felt going to the gym. It was a good little workout with him but I knew I wasn't going to sign up for personal training.

I had about 10 minutes until the Zumba class I was going to take was starting and so I told him I was about done. He told me that we weren't done yet and that we needed to talk now instead of going to the Zumba class. He said that I've done enough for today and he wanted me to come over to his desk. He then proceeded to tell me that if I continued as I am that I would face serious health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes, and other issues related to weight. It was as if he was trying to scare me into taking the personal training. He knows nothing about me. I recently had a physical and found out I'm not even close to being prediabetic and my blood pressure and cholesterol are just fine. I've been eating pretty clean since I started at the gym. The entire time he was acting like it was a sure thing for him and continue to put me down to make sure that I feel bad enough about myself to sign up.

By the time I left I was so mad that I was shaking. I didn't know what happened and even thought about quitting the gym to find something better. He wanted me to sign up for a $300 dollar package of training sessions and got angry when I told him I couldn't afford it and wasn't interested. He wouldn't let me leave and continue to pressure me into buying one of the packages. I'm now concerned about next time I go to the gym. It was something that I truly enjoyed and look forward to every day but now I just don't know anymore. This just doesn't seem like a good fit anymore and I might consider looking for a different gym.

I know I have a long ways to go but so far I've lost about 35 pounds and I've gone from 212 pounds to 175. I'm proud of my accomplishments even if I haven't lost weight as fast as some others have. I know it something I can sustain and I actually enjoy the process.

Replies

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a jerk.

Yes he was trying to scare you into buying the personal training package. He probably thought you would be an easy target and you tuned out to be not so weak minded as he assumed you were. Good for you for standing up to him and not falling for his schill.

I would go to the Gym management and tell them about this experience and that you are considering taking your business elsewhere. I doubt they want their employees treating customers like this.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a jerk.

Yes he was trying to scare you into buying the personal training package. He probably thought you would be an easy target and you tuned out to be not so weak minded as he assumed you were. Good for you for standing up to him and not falling for his schill.

I would go to the Gym management and tell them about this experience and that you are considering taking your business elsewhere. I doubt they want their employees treating customers like this.

Completely agree don't worry about that guy. Just a trainer trying to take advantage of you.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Yes, a similar thing happened to me at my gym. It took me a while to get the guts to start lifting and a trainer did a whole assessment and said I should be doing his program 6x a week and that I shouldn't be starting with the barbell. I said no thanks and am sticking with SL 5x5. He makes little comments but is leaving me alone for the most part. If that trainer keeps bugging you, complain for sure.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I would report him to the gym or someone over his head. he had no right to tell you that and to treat you like that.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    That unfortunately is the current state of affairs in "big box" gyms. They are under tremendous pressure to drive the personal training business. This m-fer is an ignorant misogynistic bully. It sucks that he had to demean you like that and introduce stress into your positive experience.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Was he the "Obumnene E" listed on their website as the personal training manager?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    That unfortunately is the current state of affairs in "big box" gyms. They are under tremendous pressure to drive the personal training business. This m-fer is an ignorant misogynistic bully. It sucks that he had to demean you like that and introduce stress into your positive experience.

+1.
    I would report him to the gym or someone over his head. he had no right to tell you that and to treat you like that.

+1

Write a letter to the gym owner (it's franchised, right? There should be an owner).

I doubt this guy will get fired over this, though. Personally, I wouldn't want to see him again, and I wouldn't feel like twisting my schedule around to avoid him. I'd probably cut my losses and take my money somewhere else. And leave a TERRIBLE review on Yelp, with fair words for the gym but specifically calling out the trainer, by name.

(I mean give them a nominal chance to address it, but I doubt this guy will change a whole lot during your tenure at this gym, barring some kind of head injury.)
  • Miss_Julie_Marie
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Was he the "Obumnene E" listed on their website as the personal training manager?
    Yup! That was him. I couldn't understand half of what he was saying either. Usually I don't mind an accent but he was mumbling as well.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Hmm, looks like it's generally heavy on the upselling there.
  • Miss_Julie_Marie
    Options
    I usually don't care that much... I mean I work in sales and somewhat understand. Harassment is never okay though as a tactic.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Typical hard sell. Humiliation and bullying. Be sure to write that up on Yelp the way you did here. See if the gym contacts you. After You've blasted the gym and that guy on Yelp I'd try to find who the owner is and call them or email. I'd ask for a refund if that guy is still working there after your complaint. I wouldn't go back as it isn't a conducive place for working out if he's there.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I would report him and even write him formally to express your unhappiness with his tactic and inform him that if he tries to speak to you again you will be writing to the head office of the gym and lodging a harassment complaint.

PS - I've never met a trainer worth money. Ever. I'm sure there are good ones that work with athletes but the ones at your neighborhood gym will rarely be useful.
  • AngieGetsHealthyin2012
    AngieGetsHealthyin2012 Posts: 45 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Wow, so sorry this happened to you. I would probably find a new gym. I would never want to see that guy again. Even if he leaves you alone, you'll still know he's critiquing everything you do. Ugh.

I recently purchased my own equipment so that I don't need to deal with people telling me I need to be changing this or that about my routine. I'm also doing 5x5 quite happily. It's amazing how many people want to tell me that I should be lifting less weight for higher reps, or that I am squatting too low, or leaning forward too far. (I checked - I'm not.) Or that squats are going to ruin my knees. Just so much more simple to work out from home with no one watching.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    I usually don't care that much... I mean I work in sales and somewhat understand. Harassment is never okay though as a tactic.

No, of course not! I'm sorry you experienced that, shouldn't happen.

What I mean is that you should definitely not take this as a statement worth a dime about your progress or anything like that. This place has consistently terrible reviews all around, for pushiness, rudeness, lack of customer service, being $$ focused, etc. This trainer is a manager there, and I'm sure it's come up before. Add another review, write letters, but fundamentally, nothing will change because (based on reviews) the owner/s don't think it's a problem.
  • kelasar
    kelasar Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to travel a little south to Shoreline I suggest the YMCA gym. I used to be a member and it was the best gym experience. It's clean, has decent locker rooms, a pool, lots of free classes, family and friends pass's and a good family friendly atmosphere.
    I never had anyone ever try and sell me anything while I was a member or try to intimidate me.

• LBL1986
    LBL1986 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You are the second person in the last week to tell me a horror story of a over the top trainer. Sounds like he needs to be reported...

And congrats on your successes. I'm thinking of starting the 5x5 program myself!
  • Miss_Julie_Marie
    Options
    LBL1986 wrote: »
    You are the second person in the last week to tell me a horror story of a over the top trainer. Sounds like he needs to be reported...

And congrats on your successes. I'm thinking of starting the 5x5 program myself!
    I absolutely love my 5x5 program! I'm doing the ice cream fitness. It's definitely newbie gains, but I've already gotten much stronger than I was and am starting to see muscle. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What a *kitten*

Terrible advice

I would put my complaint strongly in writing
  • BonyCastro
    BonyCastro Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! You do need to report him! I also go to the LA fitness and I did have a manager trying to convince me to take the training plan. But that was it! Your case sounds horrible! You should definitely complain
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Whoa. A jerk-face indeed. Just all around crappy.

But, shaking aside, you knew it was BS and that the guy was a jerk.

Take pride in yourself for that and continue on with 5x5 and if that PT comes around again, tell him to get bent.