The verdict on diet fizzy drinks (Diet Coke, Coke Zero, etc.)

Options
I hear so many different things. What do you all think? Are they poison? Do they make you eat more? Too much salt? Too many chemicals? Sometimes I just want a fizzy drink, for a "treat" without all the calories.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I think they're wonderful, aside from being a bit hard on your teeth. But so are other acidic drinks (like orange juice) so take that for what its worth. They help keep me from eating all the cookies, so that's a win in my book.

I went a full year without drinking any diet soda (or soda at all). I gained 20 lbs that year. I do not blame the lack of fizzy drinks, but I certainly can't say I noticed it HELPED me much.
  • pepsi124
    pepsi124 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    No to all of them. Yes caffeine stimulates your metabolism and you would feel more hungry if you had a large dose, but honestly 34mg of it in a 12 ounce soda is going to do like nothing for you. Aspartame and Sucralose are artificial sweeteners which have been shown to be completely safe in respective amounts. Don't drink 30 diet cokes in one day basically.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter if drink them, especially if they are helping you :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,693 Member
    Options
    myredbird wrote: »
    I hear so many different things. What do you all think?
    They are fine as long as you're not drinking a couple of cases a day.
    Are they poison?
    Does it make sense to poison your customers who you need to keep purchasing product?
    Do they make you eat more?
    Matter of opinion there. Studies don't show it does.
    Too much salt?
    At 40mg that's lower than a chicken breast.
    Too many chemicals? Sometimes I just want a fizzy drink, for a "treat" without all the calories.
    There are more "chemical" ingredients in an apple than a diet soda.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png