5x5 - weight loss possible?

I'm a SAHM with ample time to exercise. I do about an hour of cardio a day and 2x a week do boxing with a trainer and 2x play golf.

I am 5'2'' and 184 lbs. 36 F and carry most of my weight on my belly and upper body.

I have had 3 c-sections in 4 years and have very poor core strength.

My weight loss is slowing down but my body is changing. I am back into a Medium top and size 10-12 pants.

My trainer wanted to change up the boxing next month to something else but hasn't decided what yet.

I have been reading about 5x5 for women. My major thoughts below:

1. Is it suitable for weight loss or just for recomp/cutting/strength

2. In the absence of microplates- will I be able to add 5lbs of weight to every workout? Is there an alternative?

3. Lots of people I read are unable to eat at a deficit and still do this. Should I just worry about CI/CO at this stage and look at 5x5 when I am at or closer to goal weight? About 30-40 pounds away...

4. If I don't do 5x5 what should I do with my trainer time? I can increase my time with him to 3 times a week.

I have read the other 5x5 threads but not found the answers to these questions...

I am at net 1200 calories + 200 for my exercise calories...

I average about 10,000-13,000 steps per day including my gym time.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Just my thoughts having done 5x5 in a deficit:

1. Well, first off "cutting" is weight loss. After a bulk cycle, people will often spend some time cutting, which is eating in a deficit with the goal of losing fat. But overall answer, you can do the program when trying to lose weight but the progression will be slower than if trying to bulk(gain).
    2. You probably won't all of the time on all of the lifts, to be honest, but that's okay. Upper body is challenging for some, overhead press in particular seems to stall the earliest for many. The program has set up for what to do when can't progress though (or some people add reps before increasing the weight).
    3. Deficit is based mostly on food consumption. Some people do find they feel hungry more after lifting but it varies. Also, as mentioned earlier, progression can be slow because you have less fuel than following the program with a recomp or bulk, but it's still feasible to do 5x5 in a deficit.
    4. You could have them work up something else for you to do? This I don't know as I don't know anything really about your trainer or the general expectations.

There is also a group for women that do SL 5x5 and a lot of questions are answered there too. Also, 1200 is a bit low before exercise. Do you have the mfp setting as 2 lbs loss per week? I'm only 4'11.5" but still managed around 1500 even without exercise (I work but get 13,000 steps or so per day at work along with other activities) but I've got only about 20 or so to go so have mine set at .5 per week. However, before that I had it set at 1 per week and it wasn't that far off, more like 1400. Just curious as far as that is concerned. I have been avoiding 1200 as much as possible and I only do cardio 2 times a week.

Hope that helps.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hi, I'm 5'3" and 35. When I started 5x5 just over a year ago I was about 145lbs, I'm now 137lbs. I carry my weight in my hips and thighs. After a year I have moved on to a different lifting programme (still loads of squats!) So I lift 4 times a week and I have added a spin class once a week about a month ago.

Over the year my calories have ranged between 1200 and 1400 so pretty much deficit/barely maintenance. I never eat exercise calories back.

5x5 is excellent for building core strength. For me, my squats have stalled at 62.5 kgs for the last 3 months. I reckon this is my limit without upping my calories, but that is OK. I can see my body is still changing slowly. This last month I lost 2lbs all month, but I lost an inch off my hips, an inch from my mid thigh and an inch off my calves.

I am OK with the prospect of the amount of weight I can lift going up slower (I am going to squat 65kgs tomorrow and will probably be stuck at that weight for a good few months).

I also think that people get hung up on needing to match the projected weight increase and if they don't they are doing it wrong. When I was new to it, that's how I felt until I realised it easy a race and if I was stuck lifting 10kgs for a month, that's OK. The trick is recognising when you physically should carry on a bit longer at a weight and when you are mentally blocked from going up. (I try combat that by always trying 1 set at the next weight up and evaluate my form and how I feel then either drop the weight or carry on.)

I am afraid I have no suggestions for what to do with your trainer. I haven't used one.

Sorry for wall of text. I could talk for ages about this!
    Good luck and enjoy the amazingness that is weightlifting!
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Thanks both for your replies...

Dawn - to answer your question, 1200 is my sedentary deficit needed to loose 1/week. To loose 2/week I would be well under 1000 which is no good. I'm 5'1 inches. Because I set my calculation based on sedentary, I eat all my exercise calories. Which gets me a daily total of 1400-1500 to eat which is probably ok.

I think I will give it a go... Probably from Jan... I'm excited and like that it is somewhat structured... I need to find some micro plates though to deal with increasing weight without getting discouraged.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited December 2015
    Go down to the local hardware supply store (not Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace as they'll be really expensive) and buy 2" washers. Use their scale to measure them. I bought some that are ~0.625lb each. While not perfectly at that weight, they are close enough and it allows me to increase weights at 2.4-2.6lb per day instead of 5lb per day. At +150lb bench and +100lb OPH I can't tell that I'm off by 0.1lb either way so it is good enough for me. If you cared, you can just add epoxy to them (or shave off a little steel if you have to go the other way) to get them to the correct weight
  • nordlead2005
    Oh, I should also add that I started SL5x5 back in February and started working on losing weight June 1st. I'm down 40lb and I'm significantly stronger. I still haven't hit a ceiling with my strength even though I'm almost at goal weight (175lb). I just did 175lb bench, 275lb deadlift, and 245lb squat, and I know I can add more to all of them. I even added in pull ups 3x/week and I can now do 3 in a set and typically do 12 in a session.

SL5x5 is suitable for anyone who can quickly add strength, regardless of cutting, recomp, or bulking.
  • Expatmommy79
    Go down to the local hardware supply store (not Home Depot, Lowe's or Ace as they'll be really expensive) and buy 2" washers. Use their scale to measure them. I bought some that are ~0.625lb each. While not perfectly at that weight, they are close enough and it allows me to increase weights at 2.4-2.6lb per day instead of 5lb per day. At +150lb bench and +100lb OPH I can't tell that I'm off by 0.1lb either way so it is good enough for me. If you cared, you can just add epoxy to them (or shave off a little steel if you have to go the other way) to get them to the correct weight

Thanks! Great tip. I'm in Africa and no gym store here to buy micro weights so that's a great idea!
  • Expatmommy79
    Oh, I should also add that I started SL5x5 back in February and started working on losing weight June 1st. I'm down 40lb and I'm significantly stronger. I still haven't hit a ceiling with my strength even though I'm almost at goal weight (175lb). I just did 175lb bench, 275lb deadlift, and 245lb squat, and I know I can add more to all of them. I even added in pull ups 3x/week and I can now do 3 in a set and typically do 12 in a session.

SL5x5 is suitable for anyone who can quickly add strength, regardless of cutting, recomp, or bulking.

Thanks! Were you continuing to eat at a deficit? What was your fitness level when you started?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    1. It is fine for losing weight, especially if you are a new lifter. Strength programs are great for maintaining LBM.

2. In the absence of microplates- You should be able to add 5 pounds for quite awhile. But do you mean 10 lbs total, not 5? Sorry that confuses me. 10 on bench and OHP, no.

4. You should not wait to strength train. You will regret it. Saving LBM now as you lose will help not only save your strength, it will help you look better as you get closer to goal and you might not even have to lose as much as you thought. I am more of an intermediate lifter. I ran 5x5 in a deficit and I DID stall, but not for a few months. I think a beginner should be good for longer.

4. If you don't do 5x5, do 3x5 lol. Do a strength program!

• nordlead2005

Thanks! Were you continuing to eat at a deficit? What was your fitness level when you started?

I've been in a deficit since June 1st, so yes I'm still in a deficit. Aggressive by most standards on MFP, but well within safe with minimal risk of LBM according to all of the studies I've read.

My fitness level when I started lifting (when I was eating at maintenance completely by chance) was an obese out of shape guy who could ski down a hill and play ultimate frisbee, but that was about it. When playing ultimate I always covered the guy who was going to run the least (typically the retired guy). I lifted on/off prior to getting on SL5x5, so I didn't start with the empty bar, I think I started with a 110lb squat, 75lb bench, and never deadlifted before. So probably only slightly better shape than your average guy who does nothing but sit in an office every day.
  • Expatmommy79
    arditarose wrote: »
    1. It is fine for losing weight, especially if you are a new lifter. Strength programs are great for maintaining LBM.

2. In the absence of microplates- You should be able to add 5 pounds for quite awhile. But do you mean 10 lbs total, not 5? Sorry that confuses me. 10 on bench and OHP, no.

4. You should not wait to strength train. You will regret it. Saving LBM now as you lose will help not only save your strength, it will help you look better as you get closer to goal and you might not even have to lose as much as you thought. I am more of an intermediate lifter. I ran 5x5 in a deficit and I DID stall, but not for a few months. I think a beginner should be good for longer.

Thanks! I shared the program with my trainer and he hadn't heard of it but loves what he has read. I'm looking forward to the new year. Will continue boxing till the 18th of Dec and then work out a 3x/week schedule with my trainer. I might be able to do it on my own, but will keep him around to make sure my form is good and to help me evaluate my increases.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member

Thanks! I shared the program with my trainer and he hadn't heard of it but loves what he has read. I'm looking forward to the new year. Will continue boxing till the 18th of Dec and then work out a 3x/week schedule with my trainer. I might be able to do it on my own, but will keep him around to make sure my form is good and to help me evaluate my increases.

He's never heard of Strong Lifts? That's kind of weird. Use him to help you learn the lifts/proper form but always remember to do a bit of your own research-which it seems like you're doing. That's the best way I have found to work with a trainer. They are helpful but they all have different levels of knowledge...
  • Expatmommy79

I've been in a deficit since June 1st, so yes I'm still in a deficit. Aggressive by most standards on MFP, but well within safe with minimal risk of LBM according to all of the studies I've read.

My fitness level when I started lifting (when I was eating at maintenance completely by chance) was an obese out of shape guy who could ski down a hill and play ultimate frisbee, but that was about it. When playing ultimate I always covered the guy who was going to run the least (typically the retired guy). I lifted on/off prior to getting on SL5x5, so I didn't start with the empty bar, I think I started with a 110lb squat, 75lb bench, and never deadlifted before. So probably only slightly better shape than your average guy who does nothing but sit in an office every day.

Thank you
  • Expatmommy79

He's never heard of Strong Lifts? That's kind of weird. Use him to help you learn the lifts/proper form but always remember to do a bit of your own research-which it seems like you're doing. That's the best way I have found to work with a trainer. They are helpful but they all have different levels of knowledge...

Ya. I live in central africa. My trainer is from South Africa... He is open to learning and the only trainer in town so am happy to keep working with him. I am planning on working the program and using him to teach me proper form and make sure I'm doing everything properly.

I directed him to the SL 5x5 website. Anything else I should ask him to read?
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    I see. Guess the one benefit of the retail job is I can put lightly active instead of sedentary. I did prefer the 1.5 or 1 loss before, back when I was doing SL then NROLFW as the weight dropped at a decent pace even without getting down to 1200 despite my height. I did SL in the beginning, when my numbers will still in the obese range, so that's where my main experience is with SL and trying to drop weight.

Here is the group on here if you want to check out the forum posts:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women