I ate my Fitbit...

Options
Not literally, but that sounded funny to me. I'm just trying to see if anyone else can relate to this and/or experienced success this way. I have always agressively began a weight loss plan with a very low amount of calories. I feel like this is the only way. It always ends in my decision to stop because I can only last for so long at a low calorie level. Now I have made the decision to exercise, log and weigh my food like a scientist, and eat ALL of my Fitbit calories. Yesterday I had 2200 calories with a 500 calorie deficit (I'm a runner). This feels like something I could do for the long haul.
Can anybody relate to this?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I eat my fitbit and have for over a year

It works :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been eating my Fitbit since July -- comfortably maintaining my weight loss.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    I just got my Fitbit a little less than two weeks ago. I don't eat exercise calories, but I will if I need to, and it's one of the reasons I wanted a Fitbit - to help me keep a sustainable balance in the future. I just worry about the insanely high calorie burns it gives me. I know that the sedentary MFP setting was actually lower than what I was burning based on my rate of loss, but even with MFP now set to lightly active, I have yet to end up with negative calories from Fitbit. I figure mentally subtracting 10% from what Fitbit gives me is a good idea.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I have been using activity trackers for about a year now. I started power walking every day, eat more than I used to, and have lost 56 lbs. so far.

It's a win win, and a no brainer.
  • glow_worm_eyes
    glow_worm_eyes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Does it seem like that now (since you are aware of the data provided by the tracker) that you can eat more?
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would have been able to sustain my deficit if I hadn't been eating back my Fitbit calories. I've got a Fitbit One and wear it on my bra, I'm also very careful about logging and I've found that I lose at the expected rate if I eat back everything.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm on a diet break right now and have been eating my Fitbit. I'm maintaining my weigh just fine. I even had a small loss.

When I'm losing, I use my Fitbit to calculate my TDEE and work my deficit from there.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I've had a fitbit since the start of the year but only really started eating it a month ago.
    I try not to eat up all my exorcise calories but it still gives me a lot more to work with and I'm losing at a steady rate despite being able to eat more.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Before I got my fitbit I ate only what MFP told me to, plus 80% of exercise calories back and was not losing any weight. I got a fitbit, got terribly scared because it was telling me that I was burning way more than I was just logging with MFP but I started eating 80% if not all of the fitbit exercise calories and started steady losing again, now I am maintaining.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I eat my Fitbit for sure! I've been using it for 1.5 years and we're quite comfortable with each other. Without it I'd be at 1300 calories/day to continue at 1lb/week and I'm pretty sure I'd be eating my own hands at that point.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Well I tend to drink my fitbit, as in I often use some of the extra calories for beer :)
  • glow_worm_eyes
    Options
    Oh yea....thank you Fitbit for the wine
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Fascinating, I knew I was right the first time.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    You know, dogs have been known to eat Fitbits. I remember a thread about it a while back. XD

But I've been maintaining with my adjustments pretty well. I went from eating 50% back to all but 100 calories.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I do not eat back all of my calories. When I do my weight loss slows to a pace that is demotivating for me. I eat a portion back. I pay more attention to the MFP calculation then the fitbit. The fitbit would have me eat a little more. I am trying to lose 2 pounds a week and weight lost slows to 1 or 1.5 the more I eat back. Its nice to know I can eat more if I feel the need, want an extra drink or a treat, and not totally stop losing, but I'm on personal deadline to lose 15 lbs, as fast as I safely can so my life is currently revolving around that. After the 1st of the year I expect life will have me slowing the pace, just because I'll have to turn my attention to work demands, and that can make me hungrier, and I lose mental focus when hungry. I'm a real snickers commercial.
  • sadiepie05
    sadiepie05 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    When I tried to eat my fitbit I would just maintain my weight instead of losing. I'm trying to lose 20 more pounds so I had to stop eating them back. I'm naturally an active person and have never had a problem getting in 10,000 steps of just normal daily activity. I probably need to change something somewhere I'm just not sure what. I'm set to lightly active and have negative calories enabled. It just wants me to eat 2100 calories, I can't wrap my head around losing a pound a week on 2100 calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Fascinating, I knew I was right the first time.

Huh? @successgal1
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I lose my fitbit. Or put it through the wash, like I did this week. I'm hoping a good airing and a replaced battery will fix it.
    51Lbf6K3AkL._SL1296_.jpg
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine, but I use those calories to make up for my shoddy tracking. I have a chef at work and I just have to guess how many calories in all the delicious they create. So it evens out in the wash.
  • glow_worm_eyes
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Oh yea....thank you Fitbit for the beer