Sushi??

kelsierose094
kelsierose094 Posts: 232 Member
Hey guys. So I'm seeing a friend today who I haven't seen for ages, and he wants to go to sushi train for lunch. I know that sushi is a healthy option compared to many other places, but I also know some items there aren't so great health-wise. However, I have no idea how to decipher which ones are okay or not! Normally I'd ignore it and just enjoy myself, but I've been doing that quite a bit lately :p So any suggestions on what to avoid??? I know to go light on the soy sauce..which will be hard Lol!

Replies

• kelsierose094
    I also had a cinnamon glazed donut today because it was a guy at works birthday..and for some reason it felt rude not to. Or maybe that's just what I told myself :laugh:

I'm not trying to lose weight or anything, as I'm happy where I am. However, I don't want to gain any either. If need be, I'll just put in some extra work at the gym tonight!
  • Crossfit112
    Crossfit112 Posts: 269 Member
    Just enjoy ..if u wake up tomorrow feeling a little bit bloated etc ..run it off ,eat less then get back to ur normal diet that's my advice
  • abdidd
    abdidd Posts: 7 Member
    Sushi can be healthy as long as you avoid sushi rolls topped with mayo and spicy sauce. Those mayo based sauces have a lot of calories. Good luck!
  • kelsierose094
    Haha @Crossfit I guarantee that's what will happen as I have no self control XD

I've just heard that the rice isn't all too good either? Apart from being white rice, it has sugar to keep it to stick together. I don't really know too much about it! I think I'll just avoid bad meats such as deep fried chicken, and just enjoy myself :)
  • Crossfit112
    Crossfit112 Posts: 269 Member
    Haha @Crossfit I guarantee that's what will happen as I have no self control XD

I've just heard that the rice isn't all too good either? Apart from being white rice, it has sugar to keep it to stick together. I don't really know too much about it! I think I'll just avoid bad meats such as deep fried chicken, and just enjoy myself :)

Eat loads lol have fun ;)
  • JanAlyssa825
    JanAlyssa825 Posts: 43 Member
    I like to get the sushi that doesn't have rice - usually, they'll have a few rolls that are all fish, sometimes wrapped in thinly sliced cucumber or soy paper wrapping! That way, I get to eat a little more, since the calories are mostly in the rice. Sashimi is always great, too!

Also, avoid anything tempura or the mayo or sugary eel sauces.
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    get avocado and cucumber roll or asparagus and avocado roll
  • Spresto2
    Spresto2 Posts: 53 Member
    I love sushi :heart: :love: :heart:

I'm thinking there are much worse foods you could "over-do" it on. Like cross fit said, eat it! And maybe lighten up the rest of the day and tomorrow and then run an extra lap. No biggie because really, it's not an entirely unhealthy choice, IMHO. I only eat veggie sushis though so when I put in calories, it's never that bad. Now I want sushi.:sad:
  • Spresto2
    Spresto2 Posts: 53 Member
    I re-read your question...I would say the biggest offenders would be fried things inside the sushi (example: sweet potato rolls have fried sweet tater in them...mmm) and stay away from the spice mayo (so good though). White rice isn't the worst thing ever if you try to control your portions. They may even have brown rice options. And the sugar in sushi isn't anywhere what it was in that donut <wink>..plus you'll be counteracting the sugar with the veggies like avocado and carrots and cucumber...to me, sushi is practically health food! BRING IT ON!
  • dizzleLA
    dizzleLA Posts: 5
    sushi it up eat and be marry. enjoy the day no guilt just good times. get back at it tomorrow, just as long as your not doing it daily its okay. #IFlife
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,600 Member
    If you want to avoid sugar have sashimi with plain rice. Sushi rice is dressed with vinegar with quite a lot of sugar dissolved into it. According to my Japanese cookbook you even need to heat up the vinegar to get that much sugar to dissolve in it. Keep in mind that Chirashi sushi is served on the sweetened sushi rice instead of plain rice. Add some miso soup and a salad and you should have a nice lunch. A lot of Japanese salad dressings contain no oil. The creamy ones made with puréed tofu are very nice.