changing exercise up

Options
hi everyone
is there any truth behind changing your exercise/workout up in order to shock your body into losing weight? i love combat les mills i do it 4 times weekly and never the same sessions always different such as 61, 62, etc but ive been told today to not continue doing the same thing that i need to switch it up in order to "shock" my body into losing again..true? or myth?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Not a single iota
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Increasing resistance / intensity is important for gains in fitness / muscle (if in surplus) of course

You burn fewer calories as you get fitter
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Myth.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    so i can continue doing what i love over and over and as long as im in a deficit my body will still lose?.. by the way how good am i, i weighed my clementine lol im really tightening up my logging this week im desperate to see a loss next friday
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Calories are units of energy - if you are moving you are using energy.

As you get lighter and if you don't increase your intensity or duration then you are moving less weight and therefore using less calories.

But the fitter you are the more you CAN burn.
    Greg LeMond: "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Calories are units of energy - if you are moving you are using energy.

As you get lighter and if you don't increase your intensity or duration then you are moving less weight and therefore using less calories.

But the fitter you are the more you CAN burn.
    Greg LeMond: "It never gets easier, you just go faster"

Great explanation.

If you do the same thing over and over, your body is going to become really good at it... so whatever you're doing, do it harder and faster to keep that intensity up. You don't need to change your program, you just need to keep progressing.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You can't shock your body into weight loss. It is what it is. Calories in, calories out.

You are absolutely fine with continuing your body combat classes. These are fantastic cardio work-out's and will definitely help with that deficit. Having said that, the smaller you become - the less calories you burn. I'll use a basic treadmill work-out as an example - When I was 157lbs, In 30 minutes, I burnt far more then than I do now at 120-122lbs. That doesn't mean you have to start prolonging or drastically changing your work-out's. You increase your intensity as you become fitter thus resulting in a bigger burn!

Again using a treadmill work-out as an example, now I am fitter and leaner - I am able to add a slight incline to my run's. I am also able to run longer. I push myself so I am still getting a real beast of a run in.

With your body combat, put more power behind your kicks. Put your whole body into your punches. When you are jogging on the spot, lift your knee's high. Do the high intensity options. Keep pushing, keep progressing! :)
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    thank you everybody your right as time has gone by I can do higher jump kicks lower lunges. more press ups and it's cus I'm getting fitter what a brilliant way of putting it x
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I like to change up my routines just to keep them from becoming routine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,594 Member
    Options
    You can change intensity by just adding resistance, taking less rest, or performing faster if safe. It's good to do when the body adapts to what you're currently doing, however just doing it isn't going to spark faster weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png