Gastroparesis

Options
I have a condition called gastroparesis, commonly called "paralyzed stomach" or "delayed digestion". Many diabetics develop this disease, however, mine is caused from Multiple Sclerosis. It's an extremely difficult disease to live with. You never know what food is going to send you spiraling into a world of nausea, bloating and horrific pain. Just because you are able to eat a certain food one day, doesn't mean you're going to be able to tolerate it the next day. You're belly is like a time bomb ready to explode at any given time. At times, I can go for months and eat what I want, then, times like the last month I live on nutritional shakes and oatmeal. I've scanned the groups but haven't found one for this. I would really like to connect with others who live with this disease. I am overweight but am losing weight. I'm trying to lose it in a healthy way but it's very difficult as I can't eat most vegetables, no raw vegetables, bread or meat and low fiber when I'm able to eat. I'm also in a wheelchair which makes exercising very difficult. With MS movement is also unpredictable. I mostly use this app to keep track of my nutrition and to make sure I'm eating... I do forget to. If you have, belong to or know of any persons or groups who use this app and have this disease, would you please contact me? Thank you.

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Your diet sounds like mine except I can have chicken, turkey and fish for meat and white bread. I don't have gastroparesis though. I have Crohn's disease. I know it is different but the food restrictions look similar. In my case if I eat a trigger food it causes bloating, intense pain (over and above chronic pain) and many, many trips to the bathroom.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I have ulcerative colitis and proctitis, that while in remission now, it was not totally when I started on my weight loss journey. It took a long time to heal and not have food run through me. While it is no gastroparesis, it is a barrier like Crohn's disease named above which can affect diet and exercise. When I have flared, I have to cut down on the raw veggies too but I try to add anti-inflammatory foods like fresh pineapple and fresh cherries and take turmeric supplements. Coconut oil was also quite helpful to me as well.

It sounds like you know what you need to do but are frustrated at your situation. If you are still losing weight while being affected, you are to be commended. It can be quite tough to lose weight while dealing with health issues.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Take one Enzymedica Digest Gold capsule with each meal. You ll be fine!
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    So sorry - haven't seen a group for this. Mush sympathy, though, hon. I do not have the same condition at all - mast cell activation disorder, for me - but I totally sympathize on having something where what is safe to eat can change, day to day, and being able to eat can be fine for a while, and then it changes and you wish you could live without eating ever again, for weeks or months.

Food is just not something enjoyable anymore, yeah? A chore, but a chore that's like trying to feed a grizzly bear that could decide to just attack you at any time. :-/
  • meghanmfitzgerald
    meghanmfitzgerald Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't have gastroparesis but my son, the little guy in my profile pic does. His is actually a symptom of his mitochondrial disease. He actually has a gtube which is sort of helpful, but I see a possible gj tube in his future. So this is just a non-helpful hug post.