Hammer and Chisel Support Group

Options

Replies

• kimdawnhayden
    kimdawnhayden Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I'm starting today. I want to have Sunday as a rest day though. Trying to figure out how to start it so that works out, but I don't want to start on Thursday. Sounds like a lot of people have an issue with the rest day they prescribed.

I too thought it was weird to have a rest day in the middle of the week instead of at the end of the week. Not sure how I'm going to like that. I'm going to stick to the schedule this week and see how it goes. If it doesn't work for me I may just continue with the workouts and put my rest day at the end like I'm used to. Excited to be on this journey with you! :smile: Are you following the meal plan or just doing the workouts?

I'm going to try to do the meal plan. The hardest part for me is the family meal at night. I'm going to have to work hard on that one. :)

• lauramcsawyerTIU
    lauramcsawyerTIU Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it on a relaxed schedule b/c I like to get 3-4 mile runs in at least once or twice a week, and attend one or 2 Les Mills classes at my gym. So I do the workouts in order, just may skip a day if I have another workout planned. I'm hoping to lose 10 pounds and gain some muscle! I'm hoping it will teach me proper form and some good strength exercises I can incorporate at the gym! I'm using a HRM to track my calories burned from each workout so that I can record in MFP.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lauranorr wrote: »
    I'm curious about hammer and chisel. I was doing body beast and wondered if hammer and chisel is just like body beast but with a woman in the program (autumn) for us to follow? I know body beast just had the dudes. If its really similar to body beast I figured I'd not get it but if its really different I might look into it. What do you think?

This is nothing like Body Beast. It is more total body focus every day (strength, endurance, agility, balance). This is not a hypertrophy or a true weight lifting program, it uses very light weights and different exercise programs almost everyday for two weeks and then repeat until 60 days are out. You complete the 60 day program as designed and then if you want to further lean or build you will do only the Chislel part after 60 days or Hammer part after the 60 days.

This uses the 21 day fix containers which is interesting, because it concentrates on your macros (basically puts you on high protein) and portion control. I have weighed and measured all the my food and using the cups for the PLAN I chose and it is pretty darn close to counting calories.. this was the part that amazed me about those crazy containers.

I guess I will put it this way, if you Love Body Beast, you will not like this program. If you love 21 day fix or some of the other Beach Body DVD workouts outside of Body Beast, you may like this program.. It is not designed for beginners in any way.

This is basically cardio based workouts, focus on lower body (legs, glutes and core) with some total body (very little upper body work compared to the legs, glutes and core) you will burn calories .. a lot of calories doing this program on most of the workouts. Some not so much, but most you will.

The rest day is only wierd the first week because you exercise 3 days and rest.. But then you exercise 6 days and rest. However, depending on how advanced you are in fitness, some of the workouts such as Hammer Plyo are only 25 minutes (with about 4 -5 minutes of this is warmup/cool down)... So with a 20 minute workout, adding something to this 20 minutes could allow you to double up one day and rest on the day you choose. Perhaps add in another cardio or ab/core workout.

I hope this helps out some..
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Great explanation. Thanks! I'm in my third month of body beast and did T25 before that and was wondering what it was like. I also developed turf toe doing all those burpees in T25 and it's slowly healing but burpees are out.
  • Lesly_Barrett_1209
    Lesly_Barrett_1209 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation! I started yesterday and am really liking it so far! I love most all beach body programs though
  • crystalscharmedlife
    Options
    I am on my 4th week and loving it!! I was not a fan of 21 day fix, and haven't done body beast but these two combined are just fantastic. I can't say enough about this program. I lost 8 pounds the first week. I'm planning on doing a 2nd round starting in February.
  • Lesly_Barrett_1209
    Lesly_Barrett_1209 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! I lost 1.4 lbs and 4.5 inches my first week. I wasn't as strict with my nutrition as I should have been. Started week 2 today and I love this program! :smile:
  • Hastalabeastababy
    Hastalabeastababy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've done Body Beast 3 times and loved it, so when I heard about this program...anything with Sagi I had to try! I LOVE this program so far. I wasn't kind to myself over the holidays and it showed. Started this on the 4th and I can really feel and see a difference in my body. The eating plan included has been key to my success. The workouts are hard as ever, but I love it. Even my husband is getting great results. I am not a beachbody coach either, just a fan of their products.
  • JennyJDaybyDay
    JennyJDaybyDay Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started on Jan 4th and I like the program Hammer & Chisel so far! I completed 2 rounds of 21 Day Fix and loved that program!
  • jennywilson4
    jennywilson4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am currently on week 2 of Hammer & Chisel. I just actively started using MFP account again and have synced it with my Fitbit Charge HR. I am curious if you all are manually logging your H&C workouts? If so, how are you doing it? I want to be sure I am getting the correct calorie adjustments for these intense workouts! Thanks for any advice you can give me!
  • Hastalabeastababy
    Hastalabeastababy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am currently on week 2 of Hammer & Chisel. I just actively started using MFP account again and have synced it with my Fitbit Charge HR. I am curious if you all are manually logging your H&C workouts? If so, how are you doing it? I want to be sure I am getting the correct calorie adjustments for these intense workouts! Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Hi Jenny. I wear a polar HRM when I'm doing the H&C workouts and then I log my calories for that workout in MFP. I create it as a new exercise.
  • llomb2002
    llomb2002 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    On week 2 and I'm kind of obsessed! It's amazing! I have done P90x/p90x3.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    llomb2002 wrote: »
    On week 2 and I'm kind of obsessed! It's amazing! I have done P90x/p90x3.
    Is it better than the other two that you mentioned? I'm on month 3 of body beast but am taking a break and doing 30 day shred. Forgot how much I loved hopping in front of my TV.
  • KudraM
    KudraM Posts: 73 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Im doing BodyShred now. Has anyone done both that can comment on the differences? Edit to add: I do not have a bench or pull up bar. :(
  • sandgirl1
    sandgirl1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm getting ready to start my 2nd round but I didn't get much results and I think it's because I'm just not eating enough, I just got back on MFP today and totaled up my weekend and today and it seems I'm eating about 1200-1400 a day and since I lift really heavy and am almost 5'9 (153 pounds) I think I should be eating more but I used to be over 100lbs over weight (this was 24 years ago) it's so scary for me to EAT MORE, every time I try to increase my calories for my workouts my jeans start getting tight and I am so uncomfortable, I'm "thinking" of adding in Shakeology or / AND a protein drink each day and try DRINKING my extra calories since eating more makes me very full and bloated, would love to hear your thoughts. I just can't get into using those little containers, I end up stressing myself out, I usually eat the same stuff "most" days and just switch out a veggie or protein.
  • lpamm1226
    lpamm1226 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just did day 1 of hammer and chisel wow I'm not sure how I feel about the calorie increase but we will see how it goes!
  • DeannaSofia886
    DeannaSofia886 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just started and so far really like it. Some stuff is a little above my abilities and I need to modify a little but all in all I think its a great program.
  • mhealea
    mhealea Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    awesome program.. just finished up a few months ago.. enjoy the program.. your legs will love you for it..