black spots

Recently i saw this dark spots on my armpit and back of my neck. They say it is a symptom of diabetes type 2. Is it true? Is there any way to get rid of this?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I suggest consulting your physician, rather than attempting an internet diagnosis.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    see a doctor. It could be completely benign or it could be skin cancer, we can't tell you based off of a text description. If treated early it could be really easy, if left alone it could turn into something big. We have no clue. See a doctor.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Knock yourself out.

http://www.healthline.com/health/skin-disorders#4

There's forty-four potential causes.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Weren't black spots also a sign of plague?

OP, go see your doc. Any speculation here is unlikely to help ease your mind.
  • juggernaut1974
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I believe they're also a sign of a leaky ball point pen.

I would guess ball point pen to the plague would pretty much cover the spectrum of possibilities
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Acanthosis nigricans is a sign of metabolic disorders--diabetes, insulin resistance, PCOS, etc.

It isn't really spots, though...more like a darkening around skin folds.

See a doctor.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    There are two or three dozen various causes of irregular "black spots" and patchy skin darkening. Diabetes is only one. Most are relatively innocuous while a few, such as diabetes and skin cancer, can be truly worrisome. If you've lost a great deal of weight already, that in itself could be the source of your problem. Hormone changes can cause surprising side-effects such as you describe and, losing a lot of weight can throw your body out of wack sometimes, particularly if you have bee a great deal overweight for a very long time. This can cause your body to be a little out of whack as it adjusts to its new normal.

As others have said, the best route is to see your doctor, get tests done, and find out for certain. The tests are simple, usually just a blood draw in the doctor's office, maybe a urine sample.

As for the spots themselves... there are skin bleaches on the market. Some are OTCs and a few require a doctor's prescription. (WARNING: If you do try one of the skin lightening compounds, be sure to test in an inconspicuous place before slathering it on a shoulder, the back of your hand, or your face. Some might have a more drastic lightening effect than you want!)

Now... go call your doctor; make an appointment; find out for sure what is the source of your skin darkening.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,505 Member
    Release the Kraken...
  • nutmegoreo

I would guess ball point pen to the plague would pretty much cover the spectrum of possibilities

There was also a parasitic infection on x-Files where this was a one of the signs.

So, leaky ball point pen, plague, parasitic alien infection, skin cancer, metabolic syndromes. Personally, in the event of any of these (except the leaky pen) I would want to see my doctor. If it's the leaky pen, I would want a shower and a new pen.

OP, I hope you have an appointment with your doctor (unless it was a pen). I have seen so many people try to diagnose themselves using the internet. It usually just ends up terrifying them over something that is manageable, or leads them to try completely off the wall "cures" because some random person said so.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    You get rid of it by going to the doctor and finding out what it is to begin with.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member

Or a hap-hazard toner cartridge shaking. (Don't ask me how I know that.)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    jadebuniel wrote: »
    Recently i saw this dark spots on my armpit and back of my neck. They say it is a symptom of diabetes type 2. Is it true? Is there any way to get rid of this?

Candida, dermatitis, shingles, I could go on but I'm sure you get the message. It really could be a whole host of things, the vast majority of which are easily treated. See a Dr for a diagnosis.
  • juggernaut1974
    BZAH10 wrote: »

How do you know that?

(I've never been good at following directions)
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,734 Member
    BZAH10 wrote: »

How do you know that?

(I've never been good at following directions)

Let's just say when I get the "low toner" warning I wear black the day I have to change it. Lesson learned! :wink:
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    They could just be ticks.
  • Tsoggo
    Tsoggo Posts: 114 Member
    Acanthosis nigricans is a sign of metabolic disorders--diabetes, insulin resistance, PCOS, etc.

See a doctor.

I searched acanthosis nigricans and the black areas/spots are identical
  • nutmegoreo

See a doctor.

Dr Google for the differential diagnosis win!
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member

See a doctor.

Thank you for this! I've had spots of darkening skin under my breasts for a few years now but didn't know what it was from. Now that I've started losing weight they are fading and nearly gone. After looking this up in pretty sure that was what it was.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited December 2015

This reminds me of not too long ago when I came home with these spots on my arm. With concern, my guy asked what wrong with me. After close inspection, i realized my pen at work had once again leaked onto my arm.

OP, please go see your doctor.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member

See a doctor.

See an actual real Doctor. Seriously. We can't help you.