White sugar (sucrose)

Options
Due to warning blood test results (high blood sugar, LDL and triglycerides) my physician advised me to avoid eating sucrose. I am trying not to consume it, but sometimes I add teaspoon of sugar in coffee (I hate stevia!). Is that small amount of sugar relevant, coz it is about 4-5 grams a day approximately..

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    This is a discussion you should be having with your doctor.
  • lionkingbg
    lionkingbg Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Of course, but before visiting him I would like to get instant answer from people here. I've noticed that there are many who are deeply into matter.
  • OyGeeBiv
    OyGeeBiv Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Is that the *only* sugar you're adding to food? Remember he said "avoid" not "eliminate". Why not call his office and see if he'll answer the question for you without you having to wait for your next visit.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I use real stevia extract and the only time I notice a taste difference is if I use too much. I use 4 drops in a LARGE cup of coffee. For my tastebuds, a teaspoon of sugar would equate to 1 or 2 drops of stevia. Sucrose gives me that sugar high and jitteryness. Took me a long time to figure that out. There is a lot of sugar in dairy products like flavored yogurts so my doc told me to stop eating those. I limit dairy to milk in my coffee, homemade kefir in my smoothie. I only use sugar when the only other options are at a restaurant and some synthetic packets of whatever. Or when baking this time of year. The only other suggestion for me was to exercise to burn off whats in my system. I'm only very borderline on sugar. Basically my docs verdict was exercise, make healthier food choices, and lose weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Add milk to your coffee. It has different sugars.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    lionkingbg wrote: »
    Due to warning blood test results (high blood sugar, LDL and triglycerides) my physician advised me to avoid eating sucrose. I am trying not to consume it, but sometimes I add teaspoon of sugar in coffee (I hate stevia!). Is that small amount of sugar relevant, coz it is about 4-5 grams a day approximately..

I am diabetic. Sucrose isn't the only sugar that causes spikes in blood sugar, any sugar (simple carb) will cause a quick rise and any starch (complex carb) will cause a slow rise. Cutting out only sucrose will not help if you substitute fructose, dextrose, glucose, maltose, etc. (In other words: fruit, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, milk sugar, etc).

You need to meet with a Registered Dietician (not a nutritionist) who can guide you as to the best way to eat in order to manage your diet in order to bring the numbers in line with what they should be. Also, there is no reason to go keto or low carb unless your healthcare team decides it is the best way to handle your situation. yes, you will need to moderate your carbs somewhat, but a drastic reduction is not necessary for most people.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

I am diabetic. Sucrose isn't the only sugar that causes spikes in blood sugar, any sugar (simple carb) will cause a quick rise and any starch (complex carb) will cause a slow rise. Cutting out only sucrose will not help if you substitute fructose, dextrose, glucose, maltose, etc. (In other words: fruit, honey, maple syrup, agave nectar, milk sugar, etc).

You need to meet with a Registered Dietician (not a nutritionist) who can guide you as to the best way to eat in order to manage your diet in order to bring the numbers in line with what they should be. Also, there is no reason to go keto or low carb unless your healthcare team decides it is the best way to handle your situation. yes, you will need to moderate your carbs somewhat, but a drastic reduction is not necessary for most people.

This 100% !!!!!!!

Op - @earlnabby is 100% legit and knows her stuff. She's good source for reliable info.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    What he's REALLY telling you is that you have to cut Carbs!! Keep below 100/day. All be fine! :)
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

I got the "avoid white sugar & white flour" instructions from my doc several years ago when my BG was starting to go up.

I think when they word the advice this way they want you to start choosing your food options with that in mind, so yes, it even includes your added coffee sugar.

Now, if that is the only added sugar in your day it isn't a big deal. If it is combined with lots of products that contain added sugars, then you need to include the teaspoon in your possible avoid list.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A teaspoon is about 4 grams and that is also about the total amount of sugar in your blood so it is not an insignificant quantity