Nursing moms - tips, nutrition

Hi there-

Any nursing mamas out there? Any one have advice on nutrition, things to keep your supply up while trying to lose weight? I've lost a few pounds on MFP and am eager to keep it up.

Replies

• Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Hi there! I've finished nursing and can tell you that I really found it so much easier to lose weight once I stopped nursing. However, until then eating snacks and meals that combine fat, carbs and protein in one meal/snack was most a useful for me to stay full and ensure I got enough to keep my supply up.
    And exercising 30min a day really helped me be able to eat a little more and enjoy endorphins! I know it's hard to carve out that time for yourself when you have a baby but I made it a priority.
    Add me if you like, and great work on nursing in the first place :)
  • seomra
    seomra Posts: 69 Member
    Porridge every morning helped me feel satisfied after a night of feeding, lots and lots of water and fruit, I was mindful of my protein intake- fish, eggs, even peanut butter on rice cakes. I finished nursing about 2 months ago but lost 30 lbs when nursing and I didn't restrict myself- just made good choices. Lack of sleep in the early weeks made those good choices difficult! Good luck and enjoy your little one.
  • abbyfrost3
    abbyfrost3 Posts: 4 Member
    Did you add any Calorie allowance while BF?
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    You can add breastfeeding to your diary. If you are exclusively breastfeeding I think it adds 500 calories per day (not sure --I spent 5 years of my life breastfeeding but never tried to lose weight during that time)
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    I know bfing burns up to 750 cals per day. Most women say to add 500 cals under exercise as breastfeeding and it'll give you a 250 cal per day deficit if you eat at maintenance. Then whatever exercise cals on top of that for bonus.
    Don't try to lose too fast or have too big of a deficit because that can compromise milk supply. And pick healthier options that you like to eat.
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    I've been at it two months now. I exclusively breastfeed my for month old son asks started tracking and cutting calories when he was two months I old. I bounced around the first few weeks between 1500 and 2500 calories. 1500 was way too low but I found if I added 300 for breastfeeding I was good. At 1500 my supply dipped a little. It's all about experimenting and finding your balance some people can't cut much without it affecting their supply while others can cut a lot without an issue. I also found a gym with a daycare so I can go there while my oldest is in school. I go Monday to Friday for an hour each day. So far I'm down 21lbs. I had a large drop at the start and now it's leveling out to about 1.5lbs/week. I found that a protein shake in the morning really helps me. I get breakfast in while running around trying to get everyone out the door on time.
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    ragenhay1 wrote: »
    I've been at it two months now. I exclusively breastfeed my for month old son asks started tracking and cutting calories when he was two months I old. I bounced around the first few weeks between 1500 and 2500 calories. 1500 was way too low but I found if I added 300 for breastfeeding I was good. At 1500 my supply dipped a little. It's all about experimenting and finding your balance some people can't cut much without it affecting their supply while others can cut a lot without an issue. I also found a gym with a daycare so I can go there while my oldest is in school. I go Monday to Friday for an hour each day. So far I'm down 21lbs. I had a large drop at the start and now it's leveling out to about 1.5lbs/week. I found that a protein shake in the morning really helps me. I get breakfast in while running around trying to get everyone out the door on time.

Oh and I also eat back my exercise calories
  • seomra
    seomra Posts: 69 Member
    I found 1800 calories was right for me- just don't waste those calories!!
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    "They" typically say not to go below 1800 calories while BF'ing - otherwise it could affect your supply.

I've been nursing (and pumping while at work) my daughter for 5 months. I've been trying to eat healither and monitor my calories. We try to walk when its nice out to get some exercise and fresh air. So far I've lost 43 pounds. It was nice at first to see it coming off quickly, but now it takes more of an effort. Especially since I'm hungry ALL THE TIME. Or so it seems. I've been trying to lately to increase my water intake and noticed that has been helping my supply.

Feel free to add me!