Pegan / paleo vegan

Options
I am interested to open up this topic to see if there is anyone who actually does this.

I have done paleo and I have done vegetarian but not together. Some say or encourage to eat eggs and fish which is a bit different for a vegan I imagine.

I would like to go meat free and I would like to go dairy and wheat free and soy free ( will try to go egg free but not sure) because I have some health issues and need to avoid those. So I wondered how this would work?

I know paleo generally says no to beans and all grain so I wondered if you are forsaking the actual meat and sub in the beans and some grain like quinoa, millet amaranth etc would you be considered still paleo? If you eat eggs are you vegan? I am not talking hardcore vegan like clothing and other things just food aspect.

I understand one would need to supplement while doing this. I may only do it for 40 days to see if I think I could live like that.

So if you have experienced this unusual type diet please share!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Your diet does need to participate in a special plan.
    Eat foods that you want to eat: fish and beans and quinoa. :)
    Eat veggies and fruits.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You could try doing a vegan diet, but I don't see why the paleo thing?
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Good luck with that.

diet%20list%20of%20things_zpsyv3aflqf.jpg
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I believe the term you are looking for with no meat/dairy is an "ovo-vegetarian."
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    "Vegan" is generally meant to include all aspects of life (i.e. clothing, as you mention) because it is considered an ethical stance. "Vegan" means that no, eggs would not be included. If you eat eggs, you'd be considered ovo-vegetarian.

"Plant-based" is generally meant as focusing your diet (as in "way of eating," not being on a diet in a deficit) largely or solely on plants.

My understanding is that "vegetarian" or "strict vegetarian" used to be no animal products at all. "Vegan" was coined when "vegetarian" was more often understood to include dairy and eggs. Sometimes those individuals are called lacto-ovo vegetarians. Then there are pescetarians who include fish.

Anyway, all of those ways of eating have nothing to do with weight loss. If you want to choose a way of eating that you think will help your health, by all means do so. There are certainly people who eat more plant-based because they are allergic to dairy or eggs, don't like animal meat, or simply have an intolerance. Some people eat that way because they just feel better when they do. But where paleo comes into this, I have no idea.

And you don't necessarily need to supplement on any of those diets. It largely depends on the individual, how varied their diet is, and how their individual body responds. That's going to be specific to you; it's not a given.

What are your reasons for trying this for 40 days? To see if you feel better?
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    double post
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So what can you eat?

Eat that

Make up your own name
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    So what can you eat?

Eat that

Make up your own name

^ This is what I do. I rarely eat food outside my home. I'm talking less than once a month on average. I've learned that there are certain foods that I don't want to eat anymore including all fast food and most common junk foods, because 1) Since beginning the move towards health, I desire less and less to associate with what does not benefit me, and 2) I realized that I ate those things mainly out of habit and the positive memories that occurred in the past when these foods were present. However, I still eat processed foods. I've considered all diet plans out there, but they're always too restrictive for me. I love all meats, so no vegan, vegetarian, pescetarian, diet will do; my culture has rice and many other refined grains as a common staple, so Paleo wouldn't do well for me; I'm still skeptical about the benefits of organic food, AND I'm your average college kid, so eating completely organic food is not practical, etc, etc. My eating habits and decisions don't fit into any available model. They're simply just right for me. I recommend just doing your own thing and not worrying about categorizing yourself.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have a friend with lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance, and she is also a vegetarian. She will eat fish, but only wild caught. There are more rules as well, I can't rememeber them all, I think she just prefers to not eat. No wonder she is wasting away.
    Orphia wrote: »
    Good luck with that.

diet%20list%20of%20things_zpsyv3aflqf.jpg

Something like this.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I am interested to open up this topic to see if there is anyone who actually does this.

I have done paleo and I have done vegetarian but not together. Some say or encourage to eat eggs and fish which is a bit different for a vegan I imagine.

I would like to go meat free and I would like to go dairy and wheat free and soy free ( will try to go egg free but not sure) because I have some health issues and need to avoid those. So I wondered how this would work?

I know paleo generally says no to beans and all grain so I wondered if you are forsaking the actual meat and sub in the beans and some grain like quinoa, millet amaranth etc would you be considered still paleo? If you eat eggs are you vegan? I am not talking hardcore vegan like clothing and other things just food aspect.

I understand one would need to supplement while doing this. I may only do it for 40 days to see if I think I could live like that.

I imagine if I made a venn diagram for true paleo and vegetarians the intersection...wouldn't be sustainable and people wouldn't exist inside there. Vegetarians (whose main protein source is beans) don't eat meat and Paleo (whose main protein source is meat) don't eat beans...Your diet would turn into sauce and vegetables
    COJG08oU8AEMr1l.jpg

How do you think cutting out beans and meat and dairy and wheat and soy and eggs and grains will solve your health issues? It sounds like something that would contribute to making your problems worse. The biggest concern there is not getting enough protein. How would you supplement that? Because it is very important that you do (it's an essential nutrient you cannot live without).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    how about you just eat in a moderate calorie deficit, get adequate nutrition, find a form of exercise that you enjoy and eat the foods that you enjoy?

do you have some kind of medical condition that would require you to restrict yourself this much???
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    CoderGal wrote: »

I imagine if I made a venn diagram for true paleo and vegetarians the intersection...wouldn't be sustainable and people wouldn't exist inside there. Vegetarians (whose main protein source is beans) don't eat meat and Paleo (whose main protein source is meat) don't eat beans...Your diet would turn into sauce and vegetables
    COJG08oU8AEMr1l.jpg

How do you think cutting out beans and meat and dairy and wheat and soy and eggs and grains will solve your health issues? It sounds like something that would contribute to making your problems worse. The biggest concern there is not getting enough protein. How would you supplement that? Because it is very important that you do (it's an essential nutrient you cannot live without).

That was my thought when I read the original post. Vegan would not be sustainable for me. Paleo would not be sustainable for me. To attempt both simultaneously would be my own personal version of hell.

To each their own, but I just don't understand the motivation behind this. Even if it is doable for the OP, the social ramifications are significant. This would be a huge burden on a significant other to take into account at every meal. Eating out couldn't really happen. Friends would not know how to cook for you if you came over for dinner. Family may not be able to accommodate at holidays and family dinners.

Food isn't just food. It's a part of life.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    OP is pescatarian.
    The food plan can be fish, beans, quinoa, veggies and fruits.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    OP is pescatarian.

Which fits neither vegan or paleo.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP is pescatarian.

this...
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Your diet does [not] need to participate in a special plan.
    Eat foods that you want to eat: fish and beans and quinoa. :)
    Eat veggies and fruits.

This.

Why are you worried about the labels? No, eggs aren't consistent with a vegan diet; no, grains and legumes aren't consistent with a paleo diet.
  • RodaRose
    edited December 2015
    Options
    OP is pescatarian.

So very very true.
    :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP it seems you're making this a million times harder than it should be...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I'm confused as to what you are trying to do. Vegans are people who have an ethical objection to unnecessary animal exploitation and suffering and, of course, their dietary choices (and their other consumption choices) reflect this.

Do you have this objection to animal suffering and exploitation? If so, your food choices will reflect this. Vegans can also choose to avoid foods that they don't think promote their wellbeing. So if there were other foods you could eliminate if you chose to do so.

But I'm not sure what your goals are from your post . . . it seems like you might be unnecessarily complicating things.
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Why stop at a vegan-paleo ?
    A vegan-paleo-post_modern could also exclude unadorned water and come down to diet soda and supplements.