Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I have been given 1200 cals per day!

I am 5'2 and weigh 12 stone 10 lbs. I have been allocated 1200 cals per day, does this seem correct? I am thinking of sticking with the 1200 cals per day but then having a 'buffer' of perhaps an extra 600 cals that I can use to treat myself to a meal out etc once a week! So 6 days of 1200 cals and 1 day of 2000 cals, does this sound ok?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited December 2015
    You have told it you are sedentary and want to lose 2 lbs/week ?

Try 0.5 lbs/week, and don't forget if you log more exercise your calorie allowance increases.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    At 5'2 you're a shortie like me, so 1200 is probably spot on. Exercise and eat back some of your exercise calories.
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    edited December 2015
    I plugged in the stats for a sedentary 33 year old 179lbs woman into a TDEE calc and 1200 calories per day would work out to roughly a 500 calorie deficit, for a weight loss of around 1lb per week.

So assuming you are sedentary, then that extra 600 calories per week isn't even going to wipe out 20% of your weekly deficit, so you'd still lose (if you do regular exercise, it'll put even less of a dent in your deficit). Banking some calories for a weekend treat is a common practice
  • doodlebug30
    doodlebug30 Posts: 5 Member
    I normally go to the gym twice a week but have lots going on at the mo but will get back to it after Christmas when life calms down :) Am I right in thinking you shouldn't go below 1200 cals per day?
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    I am under 1200 on most days but I blow those at the weekend so overall I use all my 120" a day. Might not be the "right" way of doing it, but for me this is not a diet but a lifestyle change and being good 7 days a week is not sustainable to me personally. I look forward to treat night.

I would say don't starve yourself and over the week ensure you hit your target of 8400kcals. I often hit 1000 (if I exercise I eat more as I need more) then enjoy a delicious meal at the weekend. Tonight Baileys is on the menu and a take away.

I think the trick is to find a way where your allowance will work for you, and remember this is not a quick fix, it is an opportunity for you to change your lifestyle.
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Op I'm almost exactly the same stats as you and also on 1200 for 1/week. I'm loosing about 0.7/week but it's ok. Slow and steady. I try to get in some extra exercise on days we are going out etc. Today we are going out for prawns....I've burned an extra 200-300 from my exercise this morning and skipped breakfast so I have about 800-900 calories saved for dinner.

I find IF makes it easier for me to live happy on 1200/day.