How to make yourself eat

Options
So guys eating weekdays are great due to work (manual work) and its making me hungry etc etc but why is it when I'm off work (weekends) I'm not hungry and cant be arsed to make anything and I no that's the problem lying right there.. I'm not saying I don't eat weekends cos I do but I'm not eating no where near enough... how can I change this and is there any tips u guys can give me to change this

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Are you not hungry or really feel like you can't stomach eating? I can still eat when I'm not hungry because food is good. Are you eating calorie dense food? Perhaps you would prefer less volume.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Are you not hungry or really feel like you can't stomach eating? I can still eat when I'm not hungry because food is good. Are you eating calorie dense food? Perhaps you would prefer less volume.

This. Try calorie dense foods for the weekend. For example, I can add 500 calories by just eating a few spoons of peanut butter . Google a list of calorie dense foods and keep those around for weekend
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Well when working I eat loads but cos weekends I'm at home and doing absolutely nothing obviously I'm not gonna feel hungry cos im not burning any food off but I'm trying to gain weight so I need to eat when not hungry.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Add in some of your favourite snacks if you just need the calories. It doesnt have to be healthy boring food
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Well when working I eat loads but cos weekends I'm at home and doing absolutely nothing obviously I'm not gonna feel hungry cos im not burning any food off but I'm trying to gain weight so I need to eat when not hungry.

Just make yourself. A little more each day. And don't make excuses for yourself like "It's the weekend, I'm not really doing anything to make myself hungry anyways". Eating, regularly, is something we need to do EVERY day, regardless of the energy we expend. I come from an anorexic history, so I understand your struggle. But it is an internal thing, one you need to wrap your head around. Once you start "making yourself" regularly, it will become more of a habit, and you wont even need to think so much about it anymore. Good luck, you CAN do this if you really want to!! xoxo
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

Grab a jar of peanut butter and a spoon. Done. 190 calories in 2 tablespoons, so you can pack in some calories in a hurry. Ice cream, macadamia nuts (almost any nuts, for that matter)...there are plenty of calorie-dense foods you can eat when you just need calories.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I tend to eat less meals on the weekend, but I aim for high calorie foods. Also, if it's because you aren't active, maybe you should consider some active recovery to help get things going.
  • KeepGood
    KeepGood Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you just have to do it mate lol. The feeling of force feeding yourself isn't the best but it does get easier as time goes on. If you eat by the clock religiously, eventually your hunger cues will start to kick in at the right times. Look at your daily calorie allowance on MFP and treat it like a score that you must hit, whatever it takes. It helps to keep in mind why you are doing it and it will be worth it. Every day you hit that number is a teeny step closer to where you want to be :smiley:
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Grab a jar of peanut butter and a spoon. Done. 190 calories in 2 tablespoons, so you can pack in some calories in a hurry. Ice cream, macadamia nuts (almost any nuts, for that matter)...there are plenty of calorie-dense foods you can eat when you just need calories.

I love eating apples with peanut butter , that way I get some fruit in for micros/fiber, loads of protein,good fats. If you already had the peanut butter measured to a certain table spoon amount, it's a lot easier than putting in on bread because the apples are sweet, and it' makes it so much easier going down. Celery works too.

Don't forget you can drink your food it doesn't have to be solids. Make some homemade smoothies, or shakes. I have a nutribullet, and blender for this reason if I am behind on meals because of a project or event going on.

Also, it's good to have meals already prepped.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »

I love eating apples with peanut butter , that way I get some fruit in for micros/fiber, loads of protein,good fats. If you already had the peanut butter measured to a certain table spoon amount, it's a lot easier than putting in on bread because the apples are sweet, and it' makes it so much easier going down. Celery works too.

Don't forget you can drink your food it doesn't have to be solids. Make some homemade smoothies, or shakes. I have a nutribullet, and blender for this reason if I am behind on meals because of a project or event going on.

Also, it's good to have meals already prepped.

Ever try granny smith apples with honey? It's really good... tangy and sweet.

Other quick ways to get some quick calories, wrap some avocado in some luncheon meat and cheese.
  • Movemoreguy22
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Cheers peeps.. gonna try all that info and I like the score game. Apple and peanut butter how brain dead am i didnt think of that bad boy.. so gonna give it a shout.. just sitting down working a new plan out cos bored of me othet one so desided to try go for 550kcal a meal and hit 7/8 small meals hit the 5k mark.. work days should be easy.. weekends gonna be the struggle, gonna have to think something to do to get me hungry gonna go for the sweeter things like apple peanut butter... can I add u guys my friends list is shocking
  • DragonFractal
    DragonFractal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you already aren't eating enough, then the goal is to increase your intake more than your expenditure, but maybe a very short session of cardio exercise (like a jog around the block a couple times) will get your appetite going.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Jogging what the hell is that, the most boring thing in the world plus the further u jog away from home the longer it takes to get back.. think I would enjoy beating the kids up for abit of fun and cardio... full body workout boom!!!!
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    But yeah food intake is the problem and its the weekends that let's me down for it.. so thinking someone said sweet stuff like apple and peanut butter, give that a shout and with peanut butter out the jar I tired before hard to shallow cos it's so wrapped round your gums
  • DragonFractal
    DragonFractal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If (and only if) your kids are okay with it, then sure! I sometimes like turning on music and dancing. The kids might like that.

If you don't like the sticky stuff, peanuts or any nuts in their whole form would be just as good.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    For someone who is struggling to maintain a calorie surplus, I wouldn't suggest cardio. Cardio can burn a lot of calories, making it harder to gain weight. And I, for one, am never hungry after cardio.
  • Movemoreguy22
    Options
    I don't do any cardio, I get knacked after running up the stairs in me house, I do the stronglift 5x5 thing, getting quite heavy now so that's starting to make me puff out... my bench press is shocking tho can never seem to get anywhere with that
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I don't do any cardio, I get knacked after running up the stairs in me house, I do the stronglift 5x5 thing, getting quite heavy now so that's starting to make me puff out... my bench press is shocking tho can never seem to get anywhere with that

You may need a different program or you need to adjust volume (instead of 5x5, do 5x8 for a few weeks).
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

You may need a different program or you need to adjust volume (instead of 5x5, do 5x8 for a few weeks).

All excellent advice. More volume should work, but if you're trying to increase strength, you may just want to increase frequency. Instead of 3 times a week (5x5), try 4. This might even have you adding a workout in to your weekend, and thus hopefully help boost your appetite. I would also try incorporating different rep ranges. Try 8x2 for a while, or 6x3. You can change this up quite a bit on the bench and make great progress. Look up Daily Undulating Periodization.

• Movemoreguy22
    Options
    Wicked.. i try the 4 times a week thingy and the other stuff.... didn't really go onto this chat stuff glad i did now, it's like a daily newspaper haha read loads of stuff on here