OCD

Is it possible OCD and anxiety to kick back because of bad diet or too much exercise ?

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Considering that what we eat is what every part of our body uses to function, and our brain is part of our body, I'd say yeah to the diet. Vitamin deficiencies are known to cause numerous mental problems. B vitamins, calcium and magnesium, and vitamin D are the ones I've heard of previously as being important to control anxiety. This article talks a little about it, but there's a lot of information out there where you can find the original studies, if interested: http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/mental-health/8-nutrients-to-help-beat-anxiety

Re: exercise - normal exercise or exercising a fair amount, I've only seen have positive effects on anxiety. OCD - depends on what the OCD flavor is, really. I know a gal who has OCD ABOUT exercise, so it just messes with her to have that issue. For exercise if it's WAY too much exercise, to the point that it harms the body, then I could see it impact anxiety or OCD potentially as it would be impacting the brain as well as the rest of the body. Don't know how much exercise that would be, though, honestly.
  • shaumom wrote: »
    Considering that what we eat is what every part of our body uses to function, and our brain is part of our body, I'd say yeah to the diet. Vitamin deficiencies are known to cause numerous mental problems. B vitamins, calcium and magnesium, and vitamin D are the ones I've heard of previously as being important to control anxiety. This article talks a little about it, but there's a lot of information out there where you can find the original studies, if interested: http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/mental-health/8-nutrients-to-help-beat-anxiety

Re: exercise - normal exercise or exercising a fair amount, I've only seen have positive effects on anxiety. OCD - depends on what the OCD flavor is, really. I know a gal who has OCD ABOUT exercise, so it just messes with her to have that issue. For exercise if it's WAY too much exercise, to the point that it harms the body, then I could see it impact anxiety or OCD potentially as it would be impacting the brain as well as the rest of the body. Don't know how much exercise that would be, though, honestly.

Thanks for the info. Idk if it is a lot but these day cuz it is cold it is 20-30 km a week ( 3 day 10 km for 50-55 min) and 3 days weight training 60-90 min ( it could be more weight training depends how cold is outside). I also drink HUGE amounts of coffee. I have a problem also that sometimes my hands are shaking. Do I need to do less workouts ?
  • The most I don't workout a week is for 2 days but it is rear.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    You really are your own best guide on these issues.....if you feel that your symptoms have worsened since you have been engaging in your style of workouts then why not experiment and alter the intensity and or duration and see if there is any improvement in your symptoms....

I cannot speak to suffering with OCD but personally, for me a few years ago I started including high intensity cardio workouts to my daily activities and found that my level of anxiety sky rocketed and funnily enough my weight loss stalled out.....had a bit of a look at the effects of cortisol on the body and dropped the workouts but kept going with long, intense walking and my anxiety subsided (back to previous levels) and I started to lose weight again.....Just a thought.

Maybe have a closer look at your coffee intake too.....if you are shaking it really isn't a good sign.....cut it back slowly and see if this helps also.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Change one thing at a time.
    Perhaps consider reducing the coffee to half. Taper the reduction slowly to avoid headaches and other side effects.
    Or consider adding yoga or tai chi to your exercise plan :)
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    When my husband began treatment for anxiety cutting caffeine was the doctors first suggestion... so he drinks decaf most days & just drinks a small cup of the regular stuff occasionally.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited December 2015
    shaumom wrote: »

Thanks for the info. Idk if it is a lot but these day cuz it is cold it is 20-30 km a week ( 3 day 10 km for 50-55 min) and 3 days weight training 60-90 min ( it could be more weight training depends how cold is outside). I also drink HUGE amounts of coffee. I have a problem also that sometimes my hands are shaking. Do I need to do less workouts ?

Less caffeine. It's awful for anxiety disorders.

I do have OCD, and for me exercise is essential for my mental health. When my symptoms were at their worst, I also was not exercising regularly. When I started eating healthier and exercising 5 days a week, (cardio, strength, and yoga), I feel MUCH better. If I have two rest days in a row, I can tell a difference. That being said, it's all about balance. You can exercise too much!
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    You said you drink a lot of coffee - that could be causing an increase in anxiety and OCD episodes. It could also be responsible for your hands shaking. If you are taking medication for your anxiety, particularly something in the benzodiazepine family, that could also cause your hands to shake. I dramatically decreased my coffee consumption and my anxiety levels lowered dramatically.

I find that diet absolutely impacts my OCD and anxiety. I've found certain foods that really help me, and try to get them in daily. Even though I'm not a breakfast person, I now force myself to have it as it does have a significant impact on how I mentally function during the day. I've also found that I have to exercise at least five times a week. It doesn't have to be strenuous, but for at least an hour per session. I usually walk. Feel free to friend me and view my diary - I log everything including supplements - though this past week hasn't been great because of holiday events lol. You can also pm me for specifics. I've dealt with OCD and anxiety most of my life, and finally have it under control through diet, exercise, meditation, and breathing techniques. I also did cognitive behavioral therapy that made a world of difference. I was able to hit the anxiety meds five years ago, and the OCD meds two years ago.
  • You said you drink a lot of coffee - that could be causing an increase in anxiety and OCD episodes. It could also be responsible for your hands shaking. If you are taking medication for your anxiety, particularly something in the benzodiazepine family, that could also cause your hands to shake. I dramatically decreased my coffee consumption and my anxiety levels lowered dramatically.

I find that diet absolutely impacts my OCD and anxiety. I've found certain foods that really help me, and try to get them in daily. Even though I'm not a breakfast person, I now force myself to have it as it does have a significant impact on how I mentally function during the day. I've also found that I have to exercise at least five times a week. It doesn't have to be strenuous, but for at least an hour per session. I usually walk. Feel free to friend me and view my diary - I log everything including supplements - though this past week hasn't been great because of holiday events lol. You can also pm me for specifics. I've dealt with OCD and anxiety most of my life, and finally have it under control through diet, exercise, meditation, and breathing techniques. I also did cognitive behavioral therapy that made a world of difference. I was able to hit the anxiety meds five years ago, and the OCD meds two years ago.

Hi :) Thank you for the support :) I think that I really need to decrease the coffee cuz I end up Nes coffee (200 g) for a week. What do you substitute it with ?