difference between tdee and mfp methods

Options
leahcollett1
leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
edited December 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hi everyone

is there much difference in these 2 methods? after my third week of not losing I thought I'd go back to basics with mfp neat method and eating half my exercise cals. what I found is that to lose 1lb I get the same amount of calories that I do for tdee minus 25% so with mfp I can eat more as I'm eating exercise cals back but on tdee it's already factored in.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You get the same amount of calories for MFP+half your exercise compared to TDEE-25%? There should be zero difference. The difference between the two is simply the math used to get a number. Accuracy when logging is important to both. For someone who doesn't exercise consistently it's best to use MFP's method.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    I do hun I exercise 4 times a week without a doubt.. I just wanted to know the difference in methods and whether both are accurate
  • usmcmp
    Options
    There are limitations to the calculations in both. The difference is simply if you want a steady intake or if you are okay having to exercise to eat more. I prefer to know what my intake will be every day, that way I can plan ahead. Sometimes life gets in the way and I have to move my workout back a day. Using the TDEE method makes this irrelevant, using MFP's method means you're going to have less calories than anticipated.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that over a week both methods are the same.

Tdee you eat the same each day don't you but exercise different amounts but at the end of the week you should have a deficit.

Mfp you eat different amounts, more or less depending on how much you exercises that day and still at the end of the week you shoul get a similar deficit.

They both include all your calories in and calories out. Tdee just includes them all from the get go while mfp includes exercise when you actually do it.
  • Dreysander
    Dreysander Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I prefer TDEE personally because it's easier. Same thing for breakfast, same thing for lunch then calculate dinner to fit.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    I'm becoming really hungry. I've tried lower my calories to less than 1700 but I can't I get genuinely hungry on workout days.. so I'm going to keep going at 1700 even though I haven't lost in 3 weeks hoping I'm holding water for some reason
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Sometimes when you get really hungry you'll drop a few pounds if you hold out. Despite hitting your protein most days, you're filling the rest up with a lot of sweets. Try focusing more on filling foods, fruits and vegetables. Not saying to cut the sweets out entirely, just cut back.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    it's been a bad week totm has made me crave crap I've tried to hold out and keep with cals bur it's so hard at min
  • usmcmp
    Options
    it's been a bad week totm has made me crave crap I've tried to hold out and keep with cals bur it's so hard at min

If your hunger is worse during your period it might be a good idea to eat slightly higher. As long as you are under your TDEE any weight gain is water.