Hungry Weightlifter, advice?

Options
I'm a 54 yo female and started heavy lifting (squats, deadlift, bench press, etc) twice a week for 45 min. I'm always starving the day after weight lifting, and can't stay within my 1400 cal. goal. I just want to lose 5 lbs, at 1/2 lb rate a week. I feel and look better after lifting, but my weight is static, and I'm sure it's because I overeat after weight training.

How do you weight lifters manage hunger after lifting? And do you think it's possible to build muscle and lose fat at the same time? Thanks!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    eat protein. i think the rule is 1 gram protein per pound of your body weight. i eat chicken, and turkey and fish , egg whites and loads of vegetables and a small amount of whole grains. Also stay hydrated, and if you aren't already using protein shakes, look into them. When i'm lifting i drink 2 a day and some bcaa's also. I usually pack a meal to eat after i lift on the way home in the car so i don't stop for burritos.

As far as losing fat and building muscle at the same time. Since you're female, you're not gonna building a lot of muscle, but you can train and improve the muscle you already have, and you can definitely do that on a deficit while losing weight. Muscle building for females is slow , even the top bodybuilders with the right diet and training program put on muscle very slowly. And since you say are lifting heavy, i would assume thats not a muscle building program. Heavy lifting is different than body building. If you do decide to "build" muscle, you will have to eat and gain weight that just how that works. If you're just weight lifting for fun and improved strength and health etc you can do that on a deficit all day long.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1400 cals a day. I would hazard a guess that that amount is under your BMR. Eating so low while lifting (or any exercise ftm) is sort of self defeating. Eating a vlcd is going to create a higher percentage of weight loss from lean mass and not the fat that you are wanting to target. Up your cals and concentrate on recomp. I think you'll be much happier with the results.
  • Anya_000
    Anya_000 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    This is great advice. Thank you. I'm going to try the gram/lb protein, BCAA etc. And pack something in the car so I don't stop for beer and burger. ;-) I'm strength training, so I'm relieved to know I can eat a deficit and still gain strength.