Lost 40+ lbs and maintained for one year

I am a quiet, private person. I don't post very often. But today, December 12, 2015, is my two year anniversary with My Fitness Pal. During my first year I lost 39 pounds. My goal for 2015 was to maintain that weight loss. Not only did I keep the weight off, I lost another 5 pounds over the past year. So, with the help of MFP, I have lost over 45 pounds the past two years. I am a 5 ft 10 in woman. I weigh around 170 pounds now. In terms of BMI, I went from being borderline obese to high normal.

How did I do it?
1. I have been very honest with my food diary, logging everything, nearly every day.
2. I found out quickly that I was eating a lot of empty calories in refined carbohydrates. I was already eating almost no sugar. I cut out almost completely anything made from wheat flour or corn meal: bread, pasta, tortillas, pitas. I focused on eating high quality, nutrient dense food.
3. That's it. I didn't change anything else. I have not been exercising more. I need to get more movement and stretching built into my everyday routine, but I haven't yet figured out how to do that. Meanwhile, I just want to tell others that it IS possible to lose weight and keep it off by doing just one simple thing.

Good luck to everyone. MFP can really work for us all.

Replies

• DallasSusan
    DallasSusan Posts: 34 Member
    Oops. I have lost almost 45 pounds over the past two years.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    Wonderful! Sounds like you found your healthy lifestyle that will carry you for the rest of your life. :)
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Congratulations! Thank you for sharing.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Happy anniversary! I'm so happy for you!!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,305 Member
    YOU are a winner in my book, too!! Gives me hope for maintaining my loss this time!!
  • TxLisa251
    TxLisa251 Posts: 152 Member
    Congratulations!! I'm progressing well so far in my weight loss, but I'm worried about maintaining once I get there. I love hearing these stories. :)
  • iotterbeinbed
    iotterbeinbed Posts: 76 Member
    Congratulations! Stories like yours are so inspiring!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Fantastic! Well done you :)
    You should be proud of yourself!