Mascarpone?

Options
Has anyone tried it? From what I can tell it's a mix between cream and cream cheese, is this correct?

Do you eat it as a dessert? And most importantly how would you describe the taste?

I've also noticed there is mascarpone cheese and plain mascarpone, oi!

Thanks All :smile:

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It's a sweet cheese. I've used it to make tiramisu!
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    MMMmmmmm. That is all!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    MMMmmmmm. That is all!

Haha Good enough :lol:

• angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    There isn't added sugar in it, but it is naturally sweet. It is lovely. I cook with it, for example, I make a tomato, bacon and spinach pasta sauce and stir a spoonful or two in towards the end of cooking. It's also very nice with desserts, I love it on marinated figs and as someone else mentioned it's used to make tiramisú (try Nigella's Baileys tiramisú, it is amazing)
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Use it similarly to ricotta cheese. So you can use it to make any italian pasta dish or use it as a dessert base or even just sweetened by itself. I don't have it very often because it's very calorie dense and I've never come across a lower calorie version.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried it? From what I can tell it's a mix between cream and cream cheese, is this correct?

Do you eat it as a dessert? And most importantly how would you describe the taste?

never tasted tiramisù? :smile:
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

never tasted tiramisù? :smile:

Going to suggest you give it a try if you haven't. It's divine.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's a basic requirement for tiramisu'. Homemade tiramisu' is the best.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've never had Tiramisu, I was thinking of dolloping it on top of dessert instead of regular cream.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I think that it tastes like a smooth ricotta. Traditionally, it's used to make tiramisu, but it can also be used to add fat and a creamy mouthfeel to pastas and soups. I used to like spreading it on toast with a drizzle of honey.
  • JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    it's good spread on toasts/crackers, topped w/ a spoon of pesto & a slice of proscuitto. I also use it in my mashed potatoes w/ parmesan, garlic, nutmeg.