Make-ahead vegetable side dishes

Options
suzan06
suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
For normal meals, we typically have either a lettuce salad or a freshly steamed vegetable as the side dish. But we are hosting up to 12 for xmas day, and 8 for ~5 days over Christmas, so I need some ideas of veggie dishes that will feed a crowd and can be made ahead. Like green bean casserole, but less cream of crap soup, lol. We will have lettuce salad as an option most meals, but I find not everyone likes eating 2 salads a day, every day of the week :'(

Thoughts so far:
-A broccoli dish would be great as that is universally liked
-Some will eat brussels sprouts, maybe half the guests at most
-I have a glazed carrot recipe that you make in a frying pan, is there such a thing that is baked, so less labor intensive?

I am really trying to not kill myself in the kitchen, so that I can provide healthy meals for many people but still enjoy the holiday with my little ones. Anything that can be compiled ahead, and just baked or re-heated right before the meal would help. I will have no shortage of people willing to help ahead of time, but cannot have 10 people in the small kitchen right as the meal is being served.

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Broccoli slaw salad Is a good one. Made with Greek yogurt and cranberries or raisins(: I like that, cause the longer it sits in the fridge, the better it tastes (with the confines atleast lol, don't let it sit for days)
  • TxLisa251
    TxLisa251 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It's not very healthy, but I made a super yummy broccoli rice casserole on Thanksgiving Day. I found it on allrecipes. You could mix everything up in a glass baking dish, and put it in the oven when you're ready.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    My go-to is usually just plain roasted veggies. I like a mix of broccoli and cauliflower tossed with olive oil and my fav seasonings (currently a curry mix). Only takes a quick 12min in an oven at 425F. Halved brussel sprouts would take closer to 40min-1hr. You can also top with shredded parmesan during the last 2min or so (assuming your spices complement it. not recommended w/ curry.).

I've also made roasted honey-glazed carrots. Toss with olive oil, S&P, and honey then roast 40min-1hr, or to your preferred level of softness.

TBH, I am so lazy, I usually take a few clean produce bags from the store, mix the olive oil and seasonings in it before adding the chopped veggies. Then I just shake the bag to coat everything. Then, when you're ready to cook, you just dump in all in one layer on a pan to roast. You can mix it a bit in the middle of cooking for even browning, but I don't. Super easy, tasty, and healthy.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest roasted veggies too. I recently bought pre-cut broccoli/carrots/cauliflower seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper then roasted. It was very good! I did the same with halved brussel sprouts, pre-cut butternut squash and red onion. Also delicious!

This potato salad is very good and different. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/04/two-potato-salad-with-sour-cream.html

Don't forget about fruit and veggie combos. Mark Bittman has a recipe for Grated carrots, toast some sunflower seeds, and toss with blueberries, olive oil, lemon juice and plenty of black pepper.

Caponata is a good make ahead. I have made it in a crockpot before. It is good hot, cold, on sandwiches.

My Mom and grandmother always served cauliflower with melted cheese on top. You could precook and melt the cheese the day of the meal.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Stuffed tomatoes, mushrooms or peppers
    Raw vegetables
    Roasted sweet potato slices
    Grilled asparagus or zucchini
    Corn salad
    Cabbage salad, sauteed cabbage
    Vegetable noodles- zoodles
    Tomato bean salad
    Marinated roasted peppers and broccoli
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    TBH, I am so lazy, I usually take a few clean produce bags from the store, mix the olive oil and seasonings in it before adding the chopped veggies. Then I just shake the bag to coat everything. Then, when you're ready to cook, you just dump in all in one layer on a pan to roast. You can mix it a bit in the middle of cooking for even browning, but I don't. Super easy, tasty, and healthy.

That is a super good idea! Definitely doing this.