MFP's Exercise Tracking

Options
I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here, I was just having some trouble with something on MFP. I love it, it's great for counting calories. When tracking your exercise for the day though, is it accurate? Normally I use a cycling machine at the gym which tells me how many calories I've burned, so I just go by that. But when doing a general aerobics tape or video, is MFP accurate? For example, it tells me that after about 20 minutes of Zumba, I've burned 285. That seems almost too nice, but it's great if that's accurate! Would my weight factor into that? (Heavier=more effort?)

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I'm just curious if I'm doing as well as MFP says.

Replies

• javajunco
    javajunco Posts: 81
    Options
    It's not totally accurate, it's ballpark. But it's better than not tracking at all!
  • LolaTootsie
    LolaTootsie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend getting a heart rate monitor. The calorie readouts on gym equipment can be waaaay off.
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just got a hrm & all of the machines at the gym & even this site over estimates the calories I burned, compared to my hrm. I got the polar ft4. I would recommend a hrm :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    First off, machines lie so I wouldn't put much faith in any exercise machine. They are generally very generous with calorie burn. MFP is closer for the average person. Yes, the heavier you are the more you'll burn but as was mentioned a HRM is the most accurate that you'll get although it still isn't perfect. This is a good reason not to eat back all your exercise calories. There's just too much room for error.
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It's not totally accurate, it's ballpark. But it's better than not tracking at all!

This for me too.
  • gmmendenhall
    gmmendenhall Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    yeah, heart rate monitor for sure. I love mine. and most of the time it has me at less calories burned, but I will say, sometimes it is way over what MFP says.