What do you do with your egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    Asking just out of curiosity really. I sometimes read in people's diaries that they use egg whites. If this is you, what do you do with the egg yolk? Do you throw it away?

I eat them...that's where all of the nutrition is.

When I eat egg whites I use them from a carton
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    My dogs get the separated yolks my omelettes are 2 whole eggs 4 whites....we have our own chooks and a massive surplus of eggs so I'm not stressed by it!
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    usually eat them. if a recipe calls for whites only, the dog gets lucky!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I feed them to my kids. I usually eat 2 whole eggs, plus 2 whites....my two younger girls eat 1 whole and 1 yolk each....They need to gain weight so it works well.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I eat them whole.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I love eggs..in their entirety....yum!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating a fried egg or poached egg, I eat the yolk btw.....but anything with a cooked through yolk I just cant handle. Cooked yolks = nasty texture.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    keeping this for all the yummy sounding recipes....
  • NotPhyllis
    NotPhyllis Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I feel guilty answering this on MFP, but Vanillekipferl are an almond meal/flour cookie which uses 3 egg yolks in the recipe.

I make egg custard with 2 cups of milk, sweetener ( or just 2 cups of egg nog from the grocery store), 4 whole eggs and 2 extra yolks and some vanilla.

I also do chocolate ganache truffles using semi sweet chocolate, egg yolks and maybe some flavoring but no extra sugar .

Anyone who wants recipes, please send me a message.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I eat the yolks, but I do have some extra yolks that I don't use when I want to size up. My dog loves them! When it isn't too cold for ice cream, they go into that.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    NotPhyllis wrote: »
    Anyone who wants recipes, please send me a message.

Request sent! While I don't have children or dogs to feed, I have parents and I think they may rather like the truffles and biscuits over the holiday season. And yes, so would I, in moderation of course ... *smilescoughsmiles*

• jonesdebz
    jonesdebz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Homemade lemon curd
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I eat them. I don't like the idea of cutting out all the nutrients only to save a tiny amount of calories. But you could make mayo or yellow cake with them.
  • amusedmonkey
    edited December 2015
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I eat them. I don't like the idea of cutting out all the nutrients only to save a tiny amount of calories. But you could make mayo or yellow cake with them.

The amount isn't really tiny in some cases. When I make an omelet of 2 whole eggs and 5 whites that's 240 calories in eggs vs 550 if I had them all whole. I could have a whole other large and filling snack for that and increase the variety in my diet. Every yolk contributes 60 extra calories so while you can have one, 2 or 3 any more than that starts cutting into your budget.
  • oolou
    Options

The amount isn't really tiny in some cases. When I make an omelet of 2 whole eggs and 5 whites that's 240 calories in eggs vs 550 if I had them all whole. I could have a whole other large and filling snack for that and increase the variety in my diet. Every yolk contributes 60 extra calories so while you can have one, 2 or 3 any more than that starts cutting into your budget.

But if you were using yolks, you probably wouldn't be using 7 eggs in the omelet then, would you ... perhaps 4 or 5? So not such a large increase by using yolks.

Each to their own, of course!

• amusedmonkey
    Options

But if you were using yolks, you probably wouldn't be using 7 eggs in the omelet then, would you ... perhaps 4 or 5? So not such a large increase by using yolks.

Even in that case I would still like to have these 180 calorie yolks in ice cream instead. I mean it's weighing preferences. I'm not very particular about my omelets so I can make sacrifices there, but I am particular about my ice cream.
  • oolou
    Options

Even in that case I would still like to have these 180 calorie yolks in ice cream instead. I mean it's weighing preferences. I'm not very particular about my omelets so I can make sacrifices there, but I am particular about my ice cream.

Fair enough! I get what you mean. My father offered me some cake last week, as he thought he wouldn't be able to finish it off himself (his eyes are always bigger than his stomach) but I wanted to save my remaining calories for some cheese and crackers. He understood and manfully tackled the remaining cake himself over the course of the evening lol.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    You eat them - dozens of egg yolks a week - the research that said no - is now declared wrong
  • CalorieCountChocula
    Options
    That's between me and my chickens!
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I use one whole egg and then measure out whites that I buy in a carton. I don't like wasting. If I have to get rid of it I cook it for the dogs.