Should I be worried?

Options
Hi there, I am looking to get rid of a few pounds. I am currently 24 weighing in at 175lbs and am 5'2". I entered all of this and have been keeping under the calories, but I keep getting alerts about carbs and trans fat. I am trying , but it is all a bit overwhelming. Should I be worried about them? Also, while I want to lose weight, I don't know what a realistic goal for myself should be, is there somewhere I could look?

Replies

• Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When I started out, I did not know anything about realistic goals, so I saw a registered dietician. MFP also has a way of calculating calorie goals for you by entering your current weight, activity level, and weight loss goals.

It takes commitment to lose weight, and part of that involves changing the way we eat and the foods we eat. Processed foods tend to contain extra fats, sugars, and salt. Start relying on fresh fruits and vegetables, and preparing your own meals. It makes a huge difference in a short amount of time.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    If you mean end weight goals I'm 5'2 and started at 175lbs! I'm 128.5 in my profile pic if that helps
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    danmarbar wrote: »
    Hi there, I am looking to get rid of a few pounds. I am currently 24 weighing in at 175lbs and am 5'2". I entered all of this and have been keeping under the calories, but I keep getting alerts about carbs and trans fat. I am trying , but it is all a bit overwhelming. Should I be worried about them? Also, while I want to lose weight, I don't know what a realistic goal for myself should be, is there somewhere I could look?

Also 5'2" a little heavier though. The only numbers I really worry about is getting enough protein and keeping within my cal goals most of the time. I don't like the 1200 that MFP puts most of us shorter people on, so I set at 1600, but rarely eat back exercise cals because I know my lazy days will balance with active ones.

As for my goal weight. It is set at 130 because that is just inside healthy BMI, but I am working on 150 for now and then will reevaluate based on how I feel at that time. You need to decide for yourself. You might have a better idea as you get closer.
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Seconding this.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    In regards to the warnings that MFP gives you, if you're just trying to lose weight, they don't matter as much. (Except trans fat. Try taking that one as low as you can go if possible). The only thing that matters in weightloss is calorie deficit. As you get comfortable, start paying attention to those macros and see if you can get a better balance, especially in protein. If any of them matter, it's that one. It preserves lean muscle mass as you lose weight.

Other than that, the linked articles are a good place to start.