Toning moisturizers?

Options
I'm no where close to the end of my weight loss, I really just got back on track, but I've started losing, and I'm concerned about loose skin? I have always been pretty diligent with moisturizing my skin, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a good skin toning moisturizer? I've seen some in the stores, but they're not really cheap, and before I invest I was hoping someone could recommend a brand? I'm really just hoping that if I continue to take care of my skin as I go, it won't be such a huge issue more pounds down the line.
Thanks!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    They don't work. I used them through my fat gain and weight loss, but I still have loose skin. Loose skin is not the end of the world. Lose weight slowly and incorporate some form of resistance training/weight lifting. It will help prevent or fill in some of the loose skin. Age, amount of time overweight and natural skin elasticity all factor in to how much loose skin you end up with. Maintaining the weight loss for a few years will help the skin a bit as well.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Nope. There's not much that can be done for loose skin (and the extent of it depends on genetics, age, amount of weight loss, and how long it took to lose the weight).

I prefer to look at it as choosing between no loose skin and being unhealthily fat, or being at a healthy weight with a little bit of loose skin. Some loose skin is only a minor cost for the benefits of being at a healthy weight (and I love grossing out my family with it).
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Ok, so here's the deal: the word "toning" has two different definitions. In skincare, "toners" are solutions with a low-neutral pH that are applied to skin after cleansing. Cleansers have a relatively high pH, and it is thought that the toner thus neutralizes the pH and provides some benefit through neutralization or creates a better environment when applying other chemicals to the skin. Toners do not tighten the skin at all.

In the fitness industry, muscle toning generally refers to increasing the number of muscle fibers at rest, though the term is also appropriated to mean increasing muscle mass through bulking/cutting or body recomposition. Fitness toning has no impact on skin.

And btw, skin toners are basically overpriced water. You don't need them, I promise.
  • akern1987
    akern1987 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! This is really helpful, I appreciate it, and will not waste my precious dollars! Have a healthy day :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I use a 'toning' cream that claims to help 'firm up' loose skin after weight-loss. So far, it hasn't worked but it has CERTAINLY made me smell amazing, so i'll continue to buy it ;)