Recording weight loss/gains on MFP

Options
So this is going to sound like a really stupid question but would it be worth while recording my weight gains on MFP? The reason why I'm asking is because for the past 3 days I had been celebrating my 19th birthday but had a huge meal with friends and family yesterday and this morning when I weighed myself I had gained 2.2lbs. I do feel downhearted as I was hoping to keep the weight down even though I was celebrating but I honestly feel like I've failed as I had promised myself that I would keep losing weight no matter what occasion and I'm not sure whether to record it or not. Thanks guys :)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Record it. Weight loss is not linear. Lots of little bumps along the way, don't let them discourage you. Nose to the grindstone!!
  • pteryndactyl
    pteryndactyl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I record all my gains/losses on an app (Happy Scale) to see the trends.

I only log losses on MFP unless it is a sustained gain (a month or so).
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's most likely just water retention. I went out last weekend for a friend's birthday and went way over my daily calories. On the Monday I weighed 3 lbs more than the Friday but by Wednesday I was back down below Fridays weight.
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    nutmeg96 wrote: »
    So this is going to sound like a really stupid question but would it be worth while recording my weight gains on MFP? The reason why I'm asking is because for the past 3 days I had been celebrating my 19th birthday but had a huge meal with friends and family yesterday and this morning when I weighed myself I had gained 2.2lbs. I do feel downhearted as I was hoping to keep the weight down even though I was celebrating but I honestly feel like I've failed as I had promised myself that I would keep losing weight no matter what occasion and I'm not sure whether to record it or not. Thanks guys :)

You are just experiencing a temporary weight fluctuation due to consuming a bit more calories and carbohydrates than you probably have typically been consuming over recent weeks. It is just a blip in the data. Ignore it and resume your regularly scheduled programming (eating at a deficit and exercising).

Within a week you will be back on your downward trajectory. Don't worry. Be happy. You've got this.

Edited to add: By "ignore it", I mean ignore it in your mind. I would go ahead and record it in MFP, but that's because I weigh daily and record my weight daily. I only concern myself with the trend line and not the day-to-day weights. If you feel that you have the stomach for it, you could weigh yourself on a daily basis and then record it here on MFP or at an online site like trendweight.com and then just keep a watchful eye on where the graph line is going: down, up or sideways. Your day to day weight can fluctuate by as much as five pounds, depending on your carbohydrate and sodium intake. Don't sweat the trees, concentrate on the forest.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I wouldn't. I use an app called happy scale and log my weight there every day. Weighing and logging my weight every day helps me to see the fluctuations and also a downward trend with my weight.

As far as your 2.2 lb weight gain, it could just be water weight. It helps to remember that weight loss isn't linear. There will be days your weight will go up as well as going down.
  • MeganD_96
    MeganD_96 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying guys! Now that I think about it, I did consume loads of carbs and I didn't even consider water weight but thank you for putting my mind at ease! Will be tracking my calories again tomorrow as I had promised myself a non-logging day which turned into 3 days!
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Pick a time and day of the week for your official weekly weigh in. I do it on Sunday mornings before I take a shower. Once you've been at it for a few months you'll focus on the overall trend. Depending on your personality, you may or may not want to weigh yourself at other times during the week, but not record those observations.
  • amy_kee
    amy_kee Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am honest and record both my loses and gains. OP, this won't be the only time you gain weight--realistically. Just record it, and move on. Don't go to the extreme with things. Just weigh consistently--hopefully on the same scale, the same time of day, etc. Life has a lot more worse bumps that a little 2.2 lb gain.
  • MeganD_96
    MeganD_96 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I always weigh myself on Sunday's at 7am but after I've used the bathroom. I'm not so sure about weighing everyday as I tend to become obsessed with it and wanting to see smaller numbers on the scale.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the individual whether they choose to log both loses and gains. I only log when my weight has dropped because all I'm interested in is the app changing my calorie allotment as my weight is decreasing. But if you want to monitor the daily trend (and seeing the fluctuations isn't going to make you crazy), then sure....log it.

I do agree that you've just gained a little water weight. Maybe it would be good for you to track everything for a while so you can see how a yummy celebration can make you hold some extra water temporarily and then your weight drops right back down. It can be reassuring in a way so you can see that the occasional indulgent day won't do you in. :wink:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning and log it into my fitbit account, which then automatically syncs to mfp and trendweight. Both gains and losses.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I record my weight on MFP every Sunday regardless of the results. Up, same, or down... the number doesn't determine my worth, and varies due to lots of things. I'd rather be honest with myself.